18 years ago today...

AshC

• Paid Members

I love Wrestlemania X. One of my favourite Wrestlemanias. I was a massive Bret Hart fan at the time so seeing him win the belt back was a highlight for me, especially after the sour taste left by the way he lost it the previous year.

The 2 big memories everyone will obviously have are of the 2 matches pictured above. 2 classics that still hold up all these years later. I love both matches for different reasons but I've always preferred Bret/Owen over the ladder match, just slightly. Everything clicked in that match and Owen was on top form as the evil, little bastard brother to Bret's good guy image.

The ladder match was mind blowing for me at the time. It was the first ladder match I'd seen and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The storyline with the 2 belts and Diesel looking cool as fuck outside just added to it all.

Few other memories

I really liked the Savage/Crush match and the whole story surrounding it.

Loved the Earthquake squash.

And I really fancied the arse off Ronda Shear at the time

• Paid Members

WM 10 was the first WWF show I ever saw live as I didn't have Sky back then. The Owen/Bret match was the 2nd best match I'd ever seen. It was then relegated to 3rd by the ladder match. To this day, there has never been a wrestling show with 2 better matches than those two. They are unbelievable.

The show ended with by brothers and I celebrating our favourite wrestler winning the World Title like you'd celebrate a goal at the football. Amazing memories.

I also love the Savage/Crush match. And Mr. Perfect was a cock!

It was a weird one, I loved it at the time on the basis of the two big matches and the finale.

Getting from the end of Bret/Owen to the start of HBK/Razor was a bit of a slog though. It was an hour and a half or more of shit, basically. The Quebecers brought some entertainment as they always did, but even at that, i'd still have rather saw them against any other team than MoM, whether it be the Steiners, Kid/Jannetty, Gunns or Headshrinkers.

Overall, I look back at it fondly, but I couldn't sit through the whole show again from start to finish, like I can do with loads of other less remarkable shows with nothing close to any '5*' matches on them

At the time, I hated that they had to ditch the 10-man tag of Martel/IRS/Jarrett/Shrinkers vs Gunns/Kid/Jannetty/whoever. That could have been tons of fun on the undercard. Also, major heeling from Perfect on this show. The twat haha. Not to mention his tremendous trousers.

• Paid Members

My favourite moment was Earthquake, to be honest. I'd not watched much of the buildup to this PPV, and not realised Earthquake was back. Seeing Earthquake destroy Adam Bomb in a few seconds made it look like he was the man again. I honestly thought "Yoko vs Earthquake for the belt at SummerSlam" and then Bret Hart won. The ladder bout was something you had to see to believe at the time. I think I'd worn the tape down from watching it over and over again. It was a fantastic spectical.

Definitely the best WrestleMania up until that point for the full on package. It had two classics, the right ending, ready made feuds post Mania, decent celebrities and the return of people we liked or were effective (Lawler, Piper and Perfect). An absolute cracker of an event. Maybe still the best ever, looking at the quality of those two matches. WrestleMania X7 was more consistant, but did it have anything that was as good as Bret vs Owen or Shawn vs Razor?

• Paid Members

^^^ yeah that's what I loved with the Earthquake squash. I was 9 at the time, I didn't give a shit back then about what it meant for Adam Bomb's push or anything like that. Earthquake was back. He was a surprise opponent aswell wasn't he? It was perfect bit of excitement for the middle of show I thought.

Forgot to add Mr Perfect's part in the show. I hated him at the time for ruining the big Bret/Luger main event I'd wanted to see since the Rumble. He played his part, well perfectly I thought.

Oh and I always remember Owen's post match interview where his gob's caked in white slobber or phlegm or something. Looked well manky that.

• Paid Members

My fondest memory of the 'Mania XX week is actually heading to some tiny arena in Telford the Friday after having not seen the show yet (in my pre-Sky days) for my first taste of live WWF. "You probably won't know any of the wrestlers, it will be the ones that aren't on TV" warned my dad, before I got to see my favourite hero of them all march out with the world title to defend against his evil little brother. It was probably the happiest I'd been since Gary Lineker's second goal in the cup semi of 1991.

As for the show itself, like so much of WWF television of the era, I can again not bother finding the right words because Reznor has done it for me.

Overall, I look back at it fondly, but I couldn't sit through the whole show again from start to finish, like I can do with loads of other less remarkable shows with nothing close to any '5*' matches on them

Archived