Remembering Andrew 'Test' Martin.

Professor Paul's Bin

Dreadful wrestler. Couldn't work, couldn't talk. Never even slightly improved after MANY failed pushes. Was never that over, aside from his first few months. One of the most offensive parts of the "Invasion" was that they used it as a chance to elevate Test, it didn't work, obviously, same with the new ECW, same with his atrocious "run" in TNA. He's near the top of the "wrestlers I least enjoy watching" list. Right behind Konnan. That's not good company.

Shame he died, though.

Would agree with that. Maybe not right up there with my least favourite ever, but definitely one of the dullest, most boring 'superstars' from the attitude era onwards. He was a channel changer for me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

He was alright. He could move around a bit more than some other stiffs of the same dimensions mentioned in this thread, which made him noticeable. After Hunter rohypnotized Steph (which was played wrongly for laughs, if they had any hope of getting serious mileage from a serious feud) they demonstrated how much main event potential they thought Test had by having Hunter wrestle Vince at the PPV instead. That would have been the big chance to make Test a player, but they knew they couldnt do that, because the saccharine of the Andrew/Stephanie courtship had been so hard to digest - UGH! NO! That's rancid! It wasn't long into 2000 that Test was after the Hardcore title, and I never took him seriously again.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Im pretty sure the Raw match where HHH powerbombed Test through a table was not from the end of 1999 as people seem to remember, but on an Autumn 2000 episode during Hunters brief face run? He was pissed off about something, maybe something with Angle, and he took his frustration out on poor Test, getting disqualified then treating him to a paling. Beating him like an inconsequential jobber, not dissimilar to what he did to Sheamus last 'Mania season, which I maintain was fucking senseless.

As for Mad Andys legacy, his match with Shane-O was a great slice of drama, which I attribute solely to the fact minor miracles happened around Shane all the time, for no apparant reason. Why, the man even made me briefly interested in Steve Blackman.

It was strange when he returned in 2006. It was like, say, Brian Knobbs returning now.

Careful. I'm pretty sure there are some types round here that still think he and Sags could contribute something to a mainstream wrestling telly show. They're wrong, but I bet they're here.

I always thought that Test was fairly good for a big fella,he was decent on the mic and could have some cracking matches with the right opponent(Edge,The Rock,Taker,Shane,Jericho.)His run on ECW was quite good too,even if he was absolutely roided to the high heavens and was forced to work with duds like Bobby Lashley and Balls Mahoney.

His feud with Scott Steiner over Stacy Keibler back in 2003/4 was quite good too I thought.

• Paid Members
EDIT: Me and my mate still do this impression of him from 1999. We'll buck our teeth out and say "Stephanie, would you do me the honour of going OOT on a date with me?"

Heh, funny you mention that, me and my mates do the same but say "What's that all ABOOT"- ala The Rock impersonating Test many years ago.

He was ok, was Test. He did have a bloody awful name- really didn't like it- but he wasn't too shabby. Had a good little moveset which I liked at the time. He had just burst onto the scene when I got back into wrestling in 99 and I think it was the second coming of Diesel.

The best moment of Test's career was the awesome 'Love Her or Leave Her' match with Shane McMahon at Summerslam 1999. It's probably my favourite match on the card. I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned that bad ass elbow he dropped in that dreadful Elimination Chamber match at December to Dismember. Oh yeah, he had a pretty good big boot on him as well.

Archived