Remembering Andrew 'Test' Martin.

Professor Paul's Bin

Test/Andrew Martin was shite. If he was really that good at the WWE style and/or had any sort of charisma or mic skills that made him stand out from the Matt Morgans, the Mark Jindraks or the Lance/Garrison Cades of this world then chances are he would've probably been still employed and not three years deceased. Granted, he deserves kudos for banging Stacey Kiebler and Kelly Kelly, but, for me, he was just another bland, boring, and tall muscle-head. Sorry he's dead and everything and, of course, everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but personally I can't retrospectively look at his career through some sort of rose-tinted spectacles and conclude that he was anything other than shite.

He was painfully average on the stick. I wouldn't say 'shite' just very wooden.

My Ruthlessness...has...no..bounds

Certainly got a lot of heat though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Test/Andrew Martin was shite. If he was really that good at the WWE style and/or had any sort of charisma or mic skills that made him stand out from the Matt Morgans, the Mark Jindraks or the Lance/Garrison Cades of this world then chances are he would've probably been still employed and not three years deceased. Granted, he deserves kudos for banging Stacey Kiebler and Kelly Kelly, but, for me, he was just another bland, boring, and tall muscle-head. Sorry he's dead and everything and, of course, everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but personally I can't retrospectively look at his career through some sort of rose-tinted spectacles and conclude that he was anything other than shite.

Are you saying there that if Test were any good on the mic and worked the WWE style he wouldn't be dead?

No. But having limited talent combined with the pressure of having to be constantly in 'WWE shape' to overcome those limitations can't have helped. I don't profess to know what Test's backstage curricular activities were like, maybe he was pill-addled fuck-up, or maybe he felt the need to do ill-advised things in order to keep his job, but surely if he had talent needed to succeed in his profession, his job would've been secure (unless, again, he was a complete fuck-up) and those around him would've noticed some sort of personal decline. Obviously, it's one of those 'what if' things but, conversely, do you think that Test would be lying dead if he had of been good on the mic, worked the WWE style and was relatively secure in his job becuase he was good at it?

In terms of talent, he never quite reached his full potential. There were moments where he could've been pushed and who knows if he would've taken advantage of them or failed miserably.

I must say he was one of the nicest wrestlers I've ever met though. I worked with the guy at a signing event, and had the chance to talk to him and Stacy for quite a while throughout the day, and he was really insightful in terms of the business and his place in it. He seemed grateful for his place, and certainly had aspirations of being bigger and better than he was at that time.

Sadly like a lot of wrestlers, something went wrong along the way.

• Paid Members
Obviously, it's one of those 'what if' things but, conversely, do you think that Test would be lying dead if he had of been good on the mic, worked the WWE style and was relatively secure in his job becuase he was good at it?

Big Boss Man, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Road Warrior Hawk, Davey Boy Smith and dozens of others knew how to work WWF style, but they all died. Its quite ridiculous to say he'd not be dead if he was a good worker. Test was employed from 1997 until 2004. He seemed to be very secure in his job from where I'm sitting. It was a big shock when he got released. Especially after breaking his neck in their ring and being fired over it. He more than outstayed his welcome. After 7 years, even the best workers are past their sell by date.

• Paid Members
No. But having limited talent combined with the pressure of having to be constantly in 'WWE shape' to overcome those limitations can't have helped. I don't profess to know what Test's backstage curricular activities were like, maybe he was pill-addled fuck-up, or maybe he felt the need to do ill-advised things in order to keep his job, but surely if he had talent needed to succeed in his profession, his job would've been secure (unless, again, he was a complete fuck-up) and those around him would've noticed some sort of personal decline. Obviously, it's one of those 'what if' things but, conversely, do you think that Test would be lying dead if he had of been good on the mic, worked the WWE style and was relatively secure in his job becuase he was good at it?

No, he would have been dead due to the mixture of drugs and what have you he was taking. He did get help from WWE sponsored rehab and it obviously didn't help. Test was just on a bad road and had been for several years. His talent had nothing to do with it, it was his consumption of drugs. Even if he was amazing (Benoit for example was a superb worker) but he was fucked at the end.

• Moderators
It's an absurd, unanswerable question. It was just part of his personality. Half the wrestlers on the roster wouldn't even be there if they weren't fuckheads; a lot of guys are just drawn to the lifestyle.

Indeed. Wrestlers are like strippers. I reckon all wrestlers went through some kind of trauma in their childhood or something. It's such an amazingly fucked up carny world and lifestyle.

• Paid Members

Dreadful wrestler. Couldn't work, couldn't talk. Never even slightly improved after MANY failed pushes. Was never that over, aside from his first few months. One of the most offensive parts of the "Invasion" was that they used it as a chance to elevate Test, it didn't work, obviously, same with the new ECW, same with his atrocious "run" in TNA. He's near the top of the "wrestlers I least enjoy watching" list. Right behind Konnan. That's not good company.

Shame he died, though.

Dreadful wrestler. Couldn't work, couldn't talk. Never even slightly improved after MANY failed pushes. Was never that over, aside from his first few months. One of the most offensive parts of the "Invasion" was that they used it as a chance to elevate Test, it didn't work, obviously, same with the new ECW, same with his atrocious "run" in TNA. He's near the top of the "wrestlers I least enjoy watching" list. Right behind Konnan. That's not good company.

Shame he died, though.

What? You think he was dreadful and couldn't work? I'm far from a Test fan but to say he was a bad worker is ridiculous. The guy had great agillity for a man of his size and was certainly believable in the ring. He was also very intense as someone previously stated.

• Paid Members

Shame he died, though.

What? You think he was dreadful and couldn't work? I'm far from a Test fan but to say he was a bad worker is ridiculous. The guy had great agillity for a man of his size and was certainly believable in the ring. He was also very intense as someone previously stated.

It was just Cleets opinion though. Test was shit from about 2003 and beyond. That team with Steiner was fucking woeful.

• Moderators

Shame he died, though.

This man knows. I could never ever be doing with Test. I liked the match with Shane McMahon but that was about it. Although I suppose he did indirectly start my love affair with The Game, and I found it hysterical when he finally got a match with HHH after the wedding on an episode of Raw or something and HHH fucking pulverised him and put him through a table.

Let's go through THE MANY STAGES OF TEST!

Corporation: Shit. Green as gooseshit. Weird logo.

Union: Shit stable, made all within seem shit. Test already shit so it enhanced his shitivity to a more shitty level.

Stephanie Shagging: Big girls blouse. HHH date rapes his fiancee and marries her, Butch laughs.

T&A: Fucking awful. One of the worst tag teams ever for me. Even worse than Mideon and Big Vis.

European Champion: Had to look this up on Wikipedia as I couldn't remember what he did between T&A and the Invasion, so it must have been shit.

Invasion: Shit. Crap team with Booker T. Wins immunity battle royal. Butch sulks.

Un-Americans: DULL

Testicles stuff with Keibler: Awful stuff. Should have only been on heat.

Scott Steiner: Steiner made Test not too shit by proxy, but Steiner being involved with Test seemed to take lustre away from the Big Bad Booty Daddy rather than make that buck toothed fool interesting.

ECW: I gave less than a fuck about him. Weaker link in informal association with Mike Knox when Mike Knox was shit.

TNA: The Punisher was only about a month so I didn't have time to hate him too much. I would have though.

Notes: His Big Boot was alright I suppose, Barbarians was better.

Next Kevin Nash my fucking arse. How many "next Kevin Nash" candidates have there been over the years? I always wanted to see Russ Russ McCullough who was always called the next Kevin Nash in Apter's WOW mag.

• Paid Members

Said it better than I ever could, Butch. I've always found the "next Kevin Nash" or "he's like Kevin Nash" lines to be hugely insulting, too. The only similarities between Nash and Test is that they're both big, and at one point had long blonde hair. Nash is on a different stratosphere to Test in every category, starpower, charisma, ability, facial expressions, psychology. It's not even close.

Test could have lived for 300 more years and he wouldn't put out 5% of the quality stuff Nash has done.

Archived