Remembering Andrew 'Test' Martin.

Professor Paul's Bin

• Paid Members

I used to love playing as Test on WWF No Mercy. He was never as good in real life, but I did like a lot of his moves- great Big Boot, great Top Rope Elbow drop, plus he used a cool Gutwrench Powerbomb and a Pump Handle Slam.

I remember JR would always be saying that Test was close to being a main eventer in his Ross Reports on wwe.com. Ultimately, it was only his lack of ability on the mic that stopped him from getting there- he couldn't talk for shit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

his 2001 was pretty good for a midcarder, Starting out with his feud with Regal then Guerrero over the Euro title. I enjoyed plenty of his hardcore matches to while they strengthen they story about his friendship with Shane. Then he had TV feud with the Rock and then Taker/ Kane. Wore both WCW and WWF Tag belts with Booker followed by a IC title reign and winning the Immunity Battle Royal. Unfortunately following this they lost interest quickly and he never rose to the next level as he should of. I expect his inability to connect with audiences helped that happen.

I remember a few articles saying how squandered the immunity thing was as he could have played up to the cant be fired thing and been a complete C*NT to the authority figure and other wrestlers but it was forgotten about a month after Survivor Series.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Im pretty sure the Raw match where HHH powerbombed Test through a table was not from the end of 1999 as people seem to remember, but on an Autumn 2000 episode during Hunters brief face run? He was pissed off about something, maybe something with Angle, and he took his frustration out on poor Test, getting disqualified then treating him to a paling.

Was it not after Test 'made a little phonecall to the cops' and got Trips arrested for accidentally elbowing Stephanie during a brawl with Angle?

• Paid Members

That rings a bell actually Mag,

Regardless, i couldnt fucking stand him (as a viewer), big lanky crank who lacked any kind of personality. Then he got testicles and was still pointless.

It annoyed me as i actually 'tried' to like him, i thought he could wrestle well and was fast for a lanky lad, but, na, nothing.

Obviously its shit he died though.

Test was one of those obscure guys who got over in our house when me and my brothers got back into wrestling, along with Steve Blackman and D'Lo. Great look, great moveset (till he started mucking it about in later years), and always watchable IMO. We'll remember him for:

- The big boot - didn't he hit someone like K-Kwik with it and famously broke all the guy's ribs?

- The crazy animation of the gutwrench powerbomb in WWF Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 - proper ragdolled them.

- His gibberish music, which is still my brother's ringtone to this day.

- The top rope elbow drop, where every match he seemedlike he'd put the guy further and further away from the corner just to see how far he could fly.

- Stacy. Just because.

- T&A. Loved the double team Albert corner splash followed by throwing the opponent's face into Test's big boot.

- That Shane match. Great wrestling storytelling, and you really were rooting for him to win.

RIP Andrew "Test" Martin. Come along, bring a tyre, bung a coop, bring it. Give it up, yo. Give your dad a gnome.

Aye, he did do cool moves, i'll give him that, but apart from that, he was just so wooden and nondescript that it was kinda hard to give him a second thought.

He also used to sometimes bust out some sort of sitout chokeslam-bomb which sometimes looked great. Half of his regular moves could easily have been finishers. Same with that Jericho/smothers-style diving elbow smash off the top.

The reaction he got when he booted Lesnar was great. I liked when he turned the big boot into a nasty finisher. Always looked very vicious. I liked Test when he first came in, even the feud with Shane, when he returned to ECW I had no interest though

Archived