Remembering Andrew 'Test' Martin.

Professor Paul's Bin

13.jpg

(March 17, 1975 – March 13, 2009) Aged 33.

3 Years ago today Test died which I found to be a really shocking death. I know he was stupidly roided up during his last years but it came as a real shock when I saw he had passed. The three years have gone really quick and I just want to see if there is any love for Test. It's to the day today that Test died (March 13, 2009)

I myself always loved the guy when I was younger I thought the eyebrow piercing was cool (which isnt and is really gay). But I just liked everything about him. When he cut his hair I used the style myself and still do to this day (That's even more gay than the eyebrow piercing he had).. Anyway, I thought he was brilliant from the beginings when he was gonna marry Steph, teaming with Albert, winning the European title, joining the Alliance and winning the IC title, The Un-Americans, his feud with Steiner and his run in ECW was good till he had that awful match with Lashley. He was even alright when he had that short run in TNA as 'The Punisher'. I'm just fucking love Test.

Here's some good matches and highlights from his career : -

WWF Summerslam 1999 - Test Vs Shane McMahon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbITKU5T6LI

WWF RAW 01.22.2001 - European Championship - William Regal Vs Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OnKFDjQiBI

WWF RAW - Hardcore Championship - Test Vs Rhyno (Night after KOTR 2001 and start of the Invasion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wN1tQXuIrg

WWF RAW 05.11.2001 - Intercontinental Championship - Test Vs Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-7Fw2S-ZQk

WWF Survivor Series 2001 - Intercontinental Championship & WCW Us Title Unification Match - Test Vs Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipDm35hPzSM

WWF Survivor Series 2001 - Immunity Battle Royal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bll84rfYOY

WWE KOTR 2002 - Test Vs Brock Lesnar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZylcDrXZ0k

WWE ECW 03.10.2006 - Rob Van Dam vs. Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNegnrL2ANM

Anyway there's a few good matches off the top of my head. And do we have any more love for Test on here? Post some moments or matches that were decent from his career if you can be arsed.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Test was alright. He was everyones "next Kevin Nash" at the time. He was the big bodyguard, with long hair and a beard. He was a bit of a monster when he debuted as well. I remember we were talking about him at school the following weekend. He was always stop/start, though. They would push him, they pull him back because they had cold feet. A few times he looked close to the next level, but then disappear again. 1999 seemed like every wrestling magazine and news site in the world was talking about Test eventually becoming the next big thing. Some even talking like he was going to WrestleMania, baby. Everything seemed just below average with him, though. The shit music, the outfit, those goofy teeth. He didnt have star stamped on him.

It was strange when he returned in 2006. It was like, say, Brian Knobbs returning now. When you think of Test you think of a certain period in wrestling history, and he didnt seem to fit at any other stage in history. As if he was Steve Blackman or Bart Gunn. Even though he was in his early 30s, people went mental when he came back, calling him past it, a relic and saying he only had a job because he was mates with Shane and all sorts. It was a strange reaction. He returned in 2006, with what should be known as the "dead man walking" physique. He looked like a heart attack waiting to happen.

By all accounts a nice guy, though. Shame he died. They'd have probably brought him back again, once he'd dropped the weight.

EDIT: Me and my mate still do this impression of him from 1999. We'll buck our teeth out and say "Stephanie, would you do me the honour of going OOT on a date with me?"

I liked him yeah he was a bit shit at times but he was intense as hell, with a great look and tasty big boot, his ECW run was pretty good I thought just a shame he was far to roided and it didnt last long.

Plus he nailed both Stacy Keibler and Kelly Kelly now thats some serious bonus points

I've always preferred the bigger men like Test. I didn't catch much of him when he first came in but I remember starting to get into him a bit during his push in mid/late 01. Thought he a had a tremendous look and a top level of athletic ability for a guy his size. He was easy to buy into because he was 6'6 and 280lb and had a level of intensity not many else in the company had. He made for a good threat against top guys like Rocky and Taker because you knew they were in for a good pasting for a bit.

Can't say much for his ECWWE stint. I think he had a couple of alright matches with Bob Holly and RVD and one cracking tag match with Mike Knox (can't remember who against). Fucking hated that he was jobbing to Lashley though.

Test Vs Undertaker - Summerslam 2002 -

This match needs a mention. To get a match with one of the main men in the business on one of the big 4 is a big deal. espeacially at a time when then was so much talent about. Shame that the match was over shadowed on a stacked card though.

Always liked Test and should have done better than he did, far better than some former world champs, RVD, Khali, Matt Hady (ECW). Would have made a great ECU champ in my opinion. You never know, he might even pulled a Menry on us if given the chance.

• Paid Members

I was a big Test fan back in the day. Test and Hardcore Holly were the two wrestlers I'd go during the MSN e-fed days. Even after they revamped his look ("Testicles" lolz), I had faith he'd be main eventing in no time.

His greatest achievement is getting in there before Clooney.

• Paid Members

Test had a really great build and he was solid in the ring, he worked a good WWE style and his offense was believable (best big boot ever) having said that though, I always thought he had a bit of a shit face (with his stupid teeth and aforementioned puffy cheeks.) I never got behind him character or gimmick wise but in the ring he was solid. Don't think he really left much of a legacy unfortunately.

I always thought his feud with HHH over the Stephanie wedding was short-lived. One match maybe? And even that was a long time coming after the event. I remember hearing / reading he was set for a main event run around that time, i guess the powers that be didn't have enough faith in him to be able to carry the ball. I may be the only one here, but i wouldn't of at all minded a main event Test, but that scene was pretty well populated back then, and with people much better on the mic. He seemed to use about 8 different finishers too, his best though, got to be the big boot.

Test/Andrew Martin was shite. If he was really that good at the WWE style and/or had any sort of charisma or mic skills that made him stand out from the Matt Morgans, the Mark Jindraks or the Lance/Garrison Cades of this world then chances are he would've probably been still employed and not three years deceased. Granted, he deserves kudos for banging Stacey Kiebler and Kelly Kelly, but, for me, he was just another bland, boring, and tall muscle-head. Sorry he's dead and everything and, of course, everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but personally I can't retrospectively look at his career through some sort of rose-tinted spectacles and conclude that he was anything other than shite.

Archived