Smackdown Spoilers for March 2

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking maybe the Kane/Orton match would be better off having some kind of Extreme Rules gimmick, if it wasn't for the PPV slot after that which stands in that idea's way. They need something to make it sound bigger than it really is.

I'm not convinced it does really, although thrown together it will make for a nice match on the undercard, sort of how Ortons match with CM Punk was last year.

• Paid Members

The reason they're probably doing Kane v Orton is because Orton is falling apart (his back is shot and he's just recovered from another concussion, as well as his neck being dodgy) and Kane is safe - hence why they had him feud with Cena before The Rock turned up. Orton was pencilled in to win the Rumble, but then his back went. I can see why WWE don't want him in anything too high profile.

Personally, I'd chuck him in a Triple threat with Bryan and Sheamus, but I can see why WWE don't want him in a 'main event' when his back has the chance of going.

Is Orton in the bad books or something? Ever since last years Wrestlemania hes lost his status as a focal point of the company, he has the talent and ability to be an equal to John Cena as a major figure but in the past year hes been putting others over and hasnt been involved in any of the high profile storylines. Admittedly he has been on SmackDown and therefore not been near the major storylines such as The Rock, CM Punk etc but now he isnt even involved in a major match at Mania and it seems one that they are going to spend 3 or 4 weeks to build.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say he's been in the bad books at all. They moved him to Smackdown to be the number one guy on that show, and also had him working with all the midcard guys over there so that they can learn from him, and improve and up their game. Cody Rhodes, Mark Henry, Shaemus and Wade Barrett all wrestled him alot over last year and it's no coincidence that all of them have got alot better and more confident since.

Orton's positioning has been perfect as the number 1 guy on the number 2 show. He isnt on Cena's level but nobody is (except The Rock) but he's just underneath. Plus he said a few weeks back that he'd love to work with masked Kane, So I reckon this program probably came from Orton himself.

Unfortunately Orton has been in and out with injuries over the last few months which would have made planning for Mania very difficult. With 2 Huge matches and then Jericho Punk the top 3 slots have really been saturated already. Taking on Kane gives him a purposeful match that should be entertaining and a payday. From my perspective Orton has never been a Mania guy, what I mean by that is his match against taker aside to some extent, his matches have never been the absolute feature at the show neither have they ever been the MOTN which would put me off booking him in a top level spot at the big show based on past performance (something other people may find ridiculous) I'm sure one day he will have that top liner match but this year is not his year to do so

I'm really chuffed with Kane vs Orton. I can't be arsed with either of them, and normally in those kinds of situations two wrongs actually make a right and you enjoy the match. I'd have been well pissed off if he had been chucked in the Bryan/Sheamus match.

• Paid Members

Money in the Bank is official not happening. I bet the likes of Ryder, Miz, Alberto, Mark Henry and Ziggler are wofting the collars at the minute. Especially with Rey Mysterio saying he looks like he'll be back for Mania. I imagine they'll all be shoved in a big 5 on 5, but I doubt they'll get much time in the ring looking at the matches already lined up.

Where we at with Shaq Ian? I'm starting to think it's going to be him and Miz if he comes in. Miz is doing the honours obviously, but he'd be mint promoting it on the chat show circuit, and it would lend a bit of weight to his "Oh fuck...I'm crap now, I'm going to get good again, you watch" story. He made a promise in that Youtube video 8 of us watched saying he would make a Wrestlemania Main Event. Was that a teaser for it?

Archived