The Ultimate Fighter Season 15: 'Cruz vs Faber' Thread

wandshogun09

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This week showed one of the drawbacks of the new format. In the past, when they edited the shows at the end of the season, you wouldn't have seen any of the Tickle/bloke who wants to fight Tickle stuff until the week that fight was made. As it is, it seemed a bit of a damp squib that the actual fight pick was "some dude vs some dude" who'd had no memorable build-up. I watched the episode about three minutes ago and have already forgotten who's fighting next week.

This week showed one of the drawbacks of the new format. In the past, when they edited the shows at the end of the season, you wouldn't have seen any of the Tickle/bloke who wants to fight Tickle stuff until the week that fight was made. As it is, it seemed a bit of a damp squib that the actual fight pick was "some dude vs some dude" who'd had no memorable build-up. I watched the episode about three minutes ago and have already forgotten who's fighting next week.

If anything I think that is actually a bonus to the new format rather than a drawback, previously when it was edited to hell in order to show every bit of conflict between two people leading up to them fighting at the end I thought it made it a lot more forced and also a lot more predictable as at the end of every show you almost always knew exactly who was going to be picked to fight who.

With the new format if there's any problems between guys in the house then them not fighting that exact week can only build up the tension between them and have people tuning in for when they do eventually fight as well as having the excitement of the unpredictability of the live fight picks.

Anyone else agree?

If anything I think that is actually a bonus to the new format rather than a drawback, previously when it was edited to hell in order to show every bit of conflict between two people leading up to them fighting at the end I thought it made it a lot more forced and also a lot more predictable as at the end of every show you almost always knew exactly who was going to be picked to fight who.

With the new format if there's any problems between guys in the house then them not fighting that exact week can only build up the tension between them and have people tuning in for when they do eventually fight as well as having the excitement of the unpredictability of the live fight picks.

Anyone else agree?

I agree, also with previous series I often found myself guessing who would win the fight based upon the editing. Also they would quite often show someone practicing arm-bar defense or something similar which quite often led to the person losing the fight via arm-bar.

On top of this you could always tell how long the fight was going to go, If the fight started half way through the show, you knew it was a decision, if it started with only 10 minutes left you knew it would be a 1st round finish. This would often ruin some of the fights as there is no suspense when you know the fight is definitely lasting to a 3rd round.

Anyone else agree?

I agree, also with previous series I often found myself guessing who would win the fight based upon the editing. Also they would quite often show someone practicing arm-bar defense or something similar which quite often led to the person losing the fight via arm-bar.

On top of this you could always tell how long the fight was going to go, If the fight started half way through the show, you knew it was a decision, if it started with only 10 minutes left you knew it would be a 1st round finish. This would often ruin some of the fights as there is no suspense when you know the fight is definitely lasting to a 3rd round.

Absolutely, this season really has breathed new life into something that was becoming quite repetitive for me and it gives things a much more natural feel. The live fight as well as the live pick at the end are two very minor adjustments that add a much better feel to the thing as a whole, when rivalries start heating up it's also going to be great when at the end of one episode they announce that the two will be fighting and then you know the next week you're not only going to get to see that but also the whole weeks build up between the two inside the house in realtime as opposed to a seasons worth of edits.

Good episode this week. I wont spoil anything just incase since it doesnt say spoilers on the thread title and ive learnt my lesson enough on here.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Really shocked with Fabers decision to make an 'easy' fight in his eyes ok its his job to make sure he gets his guys to the end of the show but it shows that Cruz had the balls to go out and call Fabers #1 pick. Cruz wanted good fights and to push his fighters Faber wants to cowards way out and to sneak his guys into the final 8.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Point taken in the spontaneity, but I still think the impact of the announcement is lost a little. Last week was just "this guy to fight this guy, kthanzbai". If it was the old format, or if they had an extra couple of minutes and the presenter was on the ball, they could have explained that Cruz had just called out Faber's first pick, continuing the story of him attempting to knock off the top guys. Instead casual viewers weren't left with any reason to get particularly excited about waiting for the next episode.

Indeed, it also meant that when it came to the pick this week:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

you didn't get much time for them to stress that Faber's taken control and switched straight to the strategy of picking his guy and then looking for the opponent he can most likely beat, which probably makes more sense and is more traditional, but also extends the theme -however unfair- of Team Faber being afraid.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I'm enjoying the live aspects but imo this season has been awful. Cruz and Faber both come across as knobs and are building little to no interest in their upcoming fight. The cast are unbelievably bland. Did the latest episode really just take 10 mins to explain to us they are all bored and miss their families ? that made for some riveting tv there, thanks guys.

Four episodes in and I can only name two fighters Ogle and Tickle [partly I think because of their daft surnames]. Ogle actually seems articulate and thoughtful which makes a change from alot of the Brits who have been on this show. Tickle stands out because he just pisses and moans all the fucking time. I know there is a long haired guy whose father died but I swear he is one of about three guys who look exactly the same, so I've no idea which one he is.

I'll stick with the show because I like the fights but the main show is just rotten and boring atm. Its unbelievably tempting to just fast forward through that part nowadays.

I've missed the last couple of weeks of the reality portions, just making the live fights. I actually think of what I have seen that I've lost a bit of fandom for Faber. He doesn't seem like the super cool guy he does in the cage and promotional work, and I'm starting to like Cruz more than I did previously. He obviously cares a lot about his team and does a great job coaching. You can hear him give clear, specific instructions while mic'ed up during fights. All I heard from Faber this past week was, "Come on, where is he? Where is he? There you go!" Irritating.

When it comes to the Cruz vs Faber fight, I'll probably still back Urijah though, I like his fighting style more. Can't fault him either for his fight picking strategy, it makes sense to make a favourable match up to boost the team's morale and gain momentum. Cruz has been ballsy in his moves, but imagine if Marcello subbed Lawrence in a minute last week? They'd be fucked. High risk, high reward.

Decent fight this week, though I was wondering if it would go into a third round just because of the illegal knee in the first round, but Chiesa was all over him otherwise. I'm looking to see if Tickle can pick it up next week with his training next week, though the guy he's fighting has been a non-entity on the show so far.

Decent fight this week, though I was wondering if it would go into a third round just because of the illegal knee in the first round, but Chiesa was all over him otherwise.

This really confused me as Chiesa said the same thing at the end of the fight. But surely in a 2 round fight it makes a draw almost impossible as the first round would either be a 9-9 or a 10-8 meaning it the second round would need to be a 10-8 in the other direction or a draw which both rarely ever happen

It's because of the 10 point must system which give the winner of a round 10 points, so sometimes an illegal knee means the fight goes 10-9 to the loser, which I've seen happen before. It's a weird one because different judges fuck around with it.

Decent fight this week, though I was wondering if it would go into a third round just because of the illegal knee in the first round, but Chiesa was all over him otherwise.

This really confused me as Chiesa said the same thing at the end of the fight. But surely in a 2 round fight it makes a draw almost impossible as the first round would either be a 9-9 or a 10-8 meaning it the second round would need to be a 10-8 in the other direction or a draw which both rarely ever happen

But they didn't take a point for the knee.

But they didn't take a point for the knee.

I'm sure they did...?

Edit - Now I'm not sure, I have read different reports on different websites. Some say he was, some say he wasn't. It definitely looked like he was to me though and Larsen seemed to think he was at the end of the fight.

Archived