The UKFF Bestest 20 PPV Events EVERRR!

ShortOrderCook

• Moderators
Right, I'm not only putting this list here for shits and giggles, but this will be where I copy and paste from when I switch to the laptop to send it.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

1. WWE Wrestlemania X-7: Aye, fuck off Butch. Seen as one of the all time great PPVs for a good reason. Rock/Austin, TLC II, Angle/Benoit, Shane/Vince are all ridiculously enjoyable and HHH/Taker is much better than I could remember it being initially on repeat viewings as well, and matches like Test/Eddie and Regal/Jericho are good for what they are. Even the destined shitfest in the six man was too short to be bad, and Heenan made the gimmick battle royal. Start to finish, it's fantastic.

2. WWE In Your House - Canadian Stampede: The fact that this PPV never dipped below a certain standard is the clincher here. What helps it even more is the fact that there is a bonafide classic match on it with the Harts and Austin's team. It's also a shame watching this that we never seen a better light heavyweight division. This Sasuke vs. Taka match is probably the highlight of the division.

3. NWA Great American Bash 1989: Another pretty obvious choice, and with good reason. It helped that the last four matches just got better as they went on. It really sends the PPV home in some fashion, and Funk vs. Flair is probably the best of their two big matches in this fued. You of course get a quality Wargames match in there, and then there's Luger vs. Steamboat and Muta vs. Sting. What's not to love?

4. WWE Money in the Bank 2011: Another one of the top to bottom belters. Two brilliant spotfests in the ladder matches and the RAW one in particular is just an utter car wreck. Mark Henry and The Big Show deliver a terrific big man battle. Christian and Randy Orton put on a cracker after a slightly mediocre PPV effort on their last time out. Then there's the one that people will always remember from this one between Cena and Punk. One crap divas match can't bring this PPV down.

THE WORST

5. WWE King of the Ring 1999: Top to bottom, I just don't like this. The ladder match is just a total mess. And not in a good way. The tournament, while having a couple of interesting things going on, is pretty dreadful. I guess Edge and Christian vs. The Hardy Boys was decent, and all four men totally busted a gut, but not enough to save this heap of shit.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've no problem with X7 to be honest, I just don't think it should get a walkover when there's PPVs like When Worlds Collide, Great American Bash 89, Wrestle War 92, Wrestle War 91, Spring Stampede 94, Spring Stampede 99, Canadian Stampede and loads others that should get some robust conversation about them.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, I'm not only putting this list here for shits and giggles, but this will be where I copy and paste from when I switch to the laptop to send it.

1. WWE Wrestlemania X-7: Aye, fuck off Butch. Seen as one of the all time great PPVs for a good reason. Rock/Austin, TLC II, Angle/Benoit, Shane/Vince are all ridiculously enjoyable and HHH/Taker is much better than I could remember it being initially on repeat viewings as well, and matches like Test/Eddie and Regal/Jericho are good for what they are. Even the destined shitfest in the six man was too short to be bad, and Heenan made the gimmick battle royal. Start to finish, it's fantastic.

2. WWE In Your House - Canadian Stampede: The fact that this PPV never dipped below a certain standard is the clincher here. What helps it even more is the fact that there is a bonafide classic match on it with the Harts and Austin's team. It's also a shame watching this that we never seen a better light heavyweight division. This Sasuke vs. Taka match is probably the highlight of the division.

3. NWA Great American Bash 1989: Another pretty obvious choice, and with good reason. It helped that the last four matches just got better as they went on. It really sends the PPV home in some fashion, and Funk vs. Flair is probably the best of their two big matches in this fued. You of course get a quality Wargames match in there, and then there's Luger vs. Steamboat and Muta vs. Sting. What's not to love?

4. WWE Money in the Bank 2011: Another one of the top to bottom belters. Two brilliant spotfests in the ladder matches and the RAW one in particular is just an utter car wreck. Mark Henry and The Big Show deliver a terrific big man battle. Christian and Randy Orton put on a cracker after a slightly mediocre PPV effort on their last time out. Then there's the one that people will always remember from this one between Cena and Punk. One crap divas match can't bring this PPV down.

THE WORST

5. WWE King of the Ring 1999: Top to bottom, I just don't like this. The ladder match is just a total mess. And not in a good way. The tournament, while having a couple of interesting things going on, is pretty dreadful. I guess Edge and Christian vs. The Hardy Boys was decent, and all four men totally busted a gut, but not enough to save this heap of shit.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've no problem with X7 to be honest, I just don't think it should get a walkover when there's PPVs like When Worlds Collide, Great American Bash 89, Wrestle War 92, Wrestle War 91, Spring Stampede 94, Spring Stampede 99, Canadian Stampede and loads others that should get some robust conversation about them.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I hope PPV's like that make it but I'm not sure they will because of the usual suspects. I don't like Rock/Austin II at WrestleMania X-Seven to the extent everyone else does.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I'd like to recommend these which haven't got a mention yet: SummerSlam 1998, No Mercy 2001, SummerSlam 2002, No Mercy 2002, WrestleMania XIX, WrestleMania XXIV, Heat Wave 1998 and Anarchy Rulz 1999.

Because I'll not bother emailing a list:

Survivor Series '98 would definitely be on my list for best. Russo's masterpiece.

I'd go with Survivor Series '99 for worst. It had the biggest match possible as the advertised main event, and replacing Austin with Big Show was no fun at all. Undercard was all shite as well, from what I remember.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Awards Moderator

THE WORST

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I hope PPV's like that make it but I'm not sure they will because of the usual suspects. I don't like Rock/Austin II at WrestleMania X-Seven to the extent everyone else does.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I'd like to recommend these which haven't got a mention yet: SummerSlam 1998, No Mercy 2001, SummerSlam 2002, No Mercy 2002, WrestleMania XIX, WrestleMania XXIV, Heat Wave 1998 and Anarchy Rulz 1999.

Got you covered there.

Most of those mentioned are excellent PPVs. Especially No Mercy 2001 and Summerslam 1998.

Heatwave 1998 is always one gets talked about. I thought it started brilliantly and then went downhill pretty rapidly. The spotfest tag match was fucking dire, Taz/Bigelow wasn't very good, Storm/Candido was boring, the main event didn't age well at all. Credible/Lynn is still good though as is Tanaka/Awesome.

• Paid Members
Because I'll not bother emailing a list:

Survivor Series '98 would definitely be on my list for best. Russo's masterpiece.

I'd go with Survivor Series '99 for worst. It had the biggest match possible as the advertised main event, and replacing Austin with Big Show was no fun at all. Undercard was all shite as well, from what I remember.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

This is the winner. WrestleMania X7 is a great PPV, fair enough, but how hard is it to put on good matches and all of them be good? The one mentioned in the spoiler was perfect storytelling.

Thanks! Great show which featured my 2001 Match of the Year, The Rock vs. Chris Jericho. One of my favourite matches to this day.

I just re-watched this show as I wanted a fresh personal opinion on it after reading about it in this thread. I think it's an alright show, but it wasn't even in the top 5 PPV's of the year, let alone one of the greatest of all time. Austin/Angle/RVD was very good, and Rock/Jericho was pretty good as well, but everything else was no different to what you would of seen on any show at the time. The under card doesn't stand out to me at all, as being that great. It was just normal stuff. Booker T Vs The Undertaker was especially shit though.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Wrestlewar 92 really isn't all that brilliant an event as a whole. It's all about the main event, which is obviously great, but you have to wade through a fair pile of dung to get to it. Pillman/Zenk's ok, but by and large, you could quite happily skip the first couple of hours. Superbrawl and Beach Blast from that year (despite their poor/anticlimatic closing matches) are better, more rounded shows from top to bottom imo. In fact, if Luger wasn't being such a knob and we got a stronger main event, Superbrawl probably would be top 4 material.

And the first CMLL PPV is better than When Worlds Collide :)

Spring Stampede 94 would be a good 'dark horse' pick though. It doesn't get talked about nearly enough. I'd probably have it somewhere between 15-20 as I'm not a huge fan of the streetfight and Regal/Pillman was disappointing considering they were two of my favourites, but the good stuff more than compensates. WCW was pretty great in 94 before Hogan and co came in and Steamboat and Rude fucked themselves up. Slamboree was excellent that year too.

I wish I could've had enough room for another of my WCW favourites - Souled Out '98, but it could be a struggle as there's too many WWF shows I just can't see past.

• Moderators
Wrestlewar 92 really isn't all that brilliant an event as a whole. It's all about the main event, which is obviously great, but you have to wade through a fair pile of dung to get to it. Pillman/Zenk's ok, but by and large, you could quite happily skip the first couple of hours.

Steiners vs the Japanese gents is great.

Archived