The Wrestlemania stats thread~!

Up Chuck

• Paid Members

I get the impression Meltzer doesn't sit down and award points for different elements or start at ***** and knock stuff off for failings, or anything like that. From what he's said it seems to be a combination of gut reaction and comparing stuff to previous matches he's rated at certain levels.

Tthe Maven-Dudley mistake was mine - I was reading the end of the match report (where the rating is listed) so missed the change of personnel.

Regarding including these stats, though they are obviously just one guy's opinion, it's the only complete set I know of of ratings from the same source that were made at the time of each show rather than Scott Keith looking back. Not that you'd list Scott Keith anyway of course.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I really would not be surprised if SOME people look on here. Guy's like Sheamus, Wade and Drew for example would all know of this place.

Nash had a massive wank whilst reading the reviews of his TLC match on here last year, in a strange switching of positions.

Regarding including these stats, though they are obviously just one guy's opinion, it's the only complete set I know of of ratings from the same source that were made at the time of each show rather than Scott Keith looking back. Not that you'd list Scott Keith anyway of course.

Out of interest Lister, as one published wrestling writer on another, what's your general view of Scott Keith's work?

• Moderators

What's your favourite load of bullshit that Scott Keith made up that loads of people take as gospel?

Mine's "Bobby Heenan is Jimmy Valiant's brother" and "Steve Austin was booked to win the WWF title at Final Four but they changed it on the fly during the match when Austin got injured".

Obviously these are subjective rather than pure stats, but just for the hell of it here are the matches that got rated more than **** in the Observer:

WM10: Michaels vs Ramon *****

WM13: Hart vs Austin *****

WM10:: Hart vs Hart ****3/4

WM20: Benoit vs HHH vs Michaels ****3/4

WM17: Hardleys-Dudleys-Edge/Christian ****3/4

WM21: Michaels vs Angle ****3/4

WM25: Michaels vs Undertaker ****3/4

WM26: Michaels vs Undertaker ****3/4

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart at WrestleMania X and The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXV were certainly ***** to me, possibly The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXVI as well. I wonder what stopped Meltzer giving them the full *****.

If I recall there was a rest hold in Bret-Owen and it got docked a 1/4 point for that and I think Taker-Shawn II was for the Tombstone on the floor early on because technically the match should have ended there.

When it comes to rating matches, I always start every match at **1/2 and add and subtract 1/4* based on things I like and things I don't like. Then take into account the build-up, immediate aftermath and crowd reaction.

• Paid Members
If I recall there was a rest hold in Bret-Owen and it got docked a 1/4 point for that

As I said, I very much doubt that's how Meltzer worked. If anything I'd guess it was just a case that he happened to be comparing it to a match (Michaels-Ramon) that he'd rated ***** on the same show.

If I recall there was a rest hold in Bret-Owen and it got docked a 1/4 point for that

As I said, I very much doubt that's how Meltzer worked. If anything I'd guess it was just a case that he happened to be comparing it to a match (Michaels-Ramon) that he'd rated ***** on the same show.

Two very different matches though, how would you compare them against each other?

The whole start system is baffling to me, and i just don't how you can add or subtract a quarter of a star here and there.

It's stupid.

• Paid Members

As I said, I very much doubt that's how Meltzer worked.

Yeah, you're probably right there. I'd say it depends a lot on who is in the match and whether or not they are one of his favourites. Like, when CM Punk v Samoa Joe gets 5 stars and matches like Bret v Owen, HBK v Taker and Triple H v Benoit v HBK dont, you know the star rating system is fucked.

Archived