The Wrestlemania stats thread~!

Up Chuck

From the Observer's 2009 WWE Writers week: The original WrestleMania matches for Mania 22 were Eddie Guerrero vs Shawn Michaels, Vince McMahon vs Rey Mysterio, Batista vs Randy Orton and The Undertaker vs Kurt Angle. Mad how a Guerrero's death more or less messed up the whole card isnt it?

Vince vs Rey sound an odd one, what was going on that would have lead to that?

The rest of the card though, along with Edge/Foley and Cena/HHH on top that actually happened, and that would have been one hell of a Wrestlemania.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In not all for blood for no reason but its a shame that the cell match cant have blood, cos that could tip it over to being the end of an era epic battle thats its building to be.

Looking like a cracking card so far

as a few have said I can see a 10 man tag or something for control of both shows (after mania they should tighten up the draft or scrap it)

Team Long: Orton, Kofi, Truth, maybe Rey (if hes back but doubtful), Santino vs Christian, Del Rio, Miz, Henry, Otunga or maybe Drew I know hes been jobbing but he does have a gripe with long and maybe this could get him going again for after mania.

More that anything the Show should try and set up both shows with a few new stories to get them going into the next few months, maybe a big turn or something (no I dont mean Cena)

• Paid Members

Add Metallica's "The Memory Remains" to this year's themes. They're using it for

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

HHH vs Taker.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

So I saw! Will go have a poke around on Youtube now.

EDIT: On there now, along with 'Good Feeling', which has ruined the "all songs with guest appearances" theme they had going this year. Will change to WM-themed Youtube vids when someone makes one.

Is there any reason why WrestleMania 22 was held in such a comparatively small arena? X-Seven, X8, XIX were all in massive arenas. XX was in MSG. Admittedly 21 was quite small but that was in Hollywood. 23, XXIV, XXV, XXVI and XXVII were all massive arenas as well. I can't quite get my head around why it fell to such a location.

• Paid Members
Is there any reason why WrestleMania 22 was held in such a comparatively small arena? X-Seven, X8, XIX were all in massive arenas. XX was in MSG. Admittedly 21 was quite small but that was in Hollywood. 23, XXIV, XXV, XXVI and XXVII were all massive arenas as well. I can't quite get my head around why it fell to such a location.

Not sure this is the reason, but there was a theory that having done the "anniversary" show in New York, they wanted to follow up by doing the WrestleMania 2 cities of Chicago and Los Angeles (which makes sense that they then did 23 as an anniversary show in the Detroit area). Also, WWE convinced themselves that 19 did poorly because being in Seattle meant they got little national media coverage, so they wanted to stick to the biggest cities for a few years.

Once you've decided on Chicago and LA, stadium shows are out -- nobody's working in their pants outdoor in Chicago in February, and LA Coliseum was an obvious no-no because Sgt Slaughter was a road agent and somebody might try to shoot him.

• Paid Members

Outstanding thread, well done.

Query regarding WM23. I stopped watching WWE regularly after Mania XX until a couple of years ago, so wasn't watching at the time- so what was the reason (or multitude of them) for its resounding success? I mean, HBK VS Cena looks big, but no bigger that many Mania matches they've been involved in around this era. The rest of the card whilst decent doesn't scream 'big draw' compared to others.

Was Trump a big reason? Was business really up that year/time? Always wondered, because buyrate wise it is an impressive spike between 22 (Cena vs HHH) and 24 (totally stacked- including Mayweather and HBK vs Flair)

I find it hard to believe that non or casual wrestling fans would pay $50 for the possibility of seeing Donald Trump get his head shaved. If they were that bothered they could see it on the internet the next day for free. I think it was just a hot period for the WWE.

• Paid Members
I find it hard to believe that non or casual wrestling fans would pay $50 for the possibility of seeing Donald Trump get his head shaved. If they were that bothered they could see it on the internet the next day for free. I think it was just a hot period for the WWE.

I agree, both of the two title matches were built up beautifully for a solid 2 months beforehand so anticipation was at fever pitch by the time the event rolled around.

• Paid Members

Its was obviously all to do with Donald Trump why they broke the buyrate record. The publicity they got from it was bigger than it had been in years. People bought into the fact mega famous celebrity Donald Trump could possibly get his equally famous hair chopped off. Trump was a hot name at the time as well. Cena vs Michaels and Batista vs Undertaker were fairly anticipated bouts, fair enough. But you dont break your all time PPV record by having regulars doing battle over titles. You need something special and Trump was that something special.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was a combination of things, but the possibility of Trump losing his ridiculous hair was definitely the x-factor. The title matches being built well ensured that the core audience would buy the PPV, and Trump brought in the casuals that pushed the buyrate over the edge.

Archived