The Wrestlemania stats thread~!

Up Chuck

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

If its something you want to see, yes. Thats how PPV works. Thats why WWE always brings in celebrities. It wasnt Keith Lemon they brought it. It was the biggest TV star in the world at the time. Batista and Cena and Undertaker and Shawn Michaels was built far better in 2010 (and it was built as a legends retirement), but that didnt do good business at all, because they banked of Bret Hart being that celebrity tie-in. WrestleMania never cracks one million or the 900,000 mark without a big mainstream name.

• Paid Members
As a 'casual' fan of anything would you pay $50/$60 in something that you could see for free the next day? I wouldn't.

Maybe. maybe not. But if you are a more hardcore fan who's not got $50 to spend, having Trump might make it a lot easier to persuade a couple of mates who are casual fans to chip in $15 and watch it at your house.

If its something you want to see, yes. Thats how PPV works. Thats why WWE always brings in celebrities. It wasnt Keith Lemon they brought it. It was the biggest TV star in the world at the time. Batista and Cena and Undertaker and Shawn Michaels was built far better in 2010 (and it was built as a legends retirement), but that didnt do good business at all, because they banked of Bret Hart being that celebrity tie-in. WrestleMania never cracks one million or the 900,000 mark without a big mainstream name.

Aside from Mania 17! I know that's because they were shit hot though.

As a 'casual' fan of anything would you pay $50/$60 in something that you could see for free the next day? I wouldn't.

By that logic, only hardcore fans ever buy WrestleMania.

I'd imagine the vast majority of fans who buy Wrestlemania watch raw nearly every week. Does that make them hardcore fans?

• Paid Members

Didn't 'Mania 21 do great business with the 'celebrity tie-in' being a suma wrestler nobody outside of Japan had heard of? I wasn't watching at the time, so please help a brother out.

• Paid Members
Aside from Mania 17! I know that's because they were shit hot though.

But the two headliners were pretty much headline names. Raw was still the number one rated cable show a few weeks prior to that PPV. Even this year, they dont need a celebrity tie-in. They have Dwayne and John. Thats as mainstream as your getting for two wrestlers.

Didn't 'Mania 21 do great business with the 'celebrity tie-in' being a suma wrestler nobody outside of Japan had heard of? I wasn't watching at the time, so please help a brother out.

It got 650,000 domestic, but I might hold my hands up there. Batista caught fire around that period. He was a big part of that buyrate. I could be wrong but I doubt it had anything to do with Akebono.

• Paid Members

21 did huge overall, though looking back it only did about average in North America. It was the biggest selling overseas by a long distance, which I'd guess may simply be because it was the first Mania on PPV in the UK and buyrates have been sliding overall ever since.

• Paid Members

You also had the rise of John Cena too. It's possible then, but the current WWE booking certainly means you do need that celebrity tie-in.

Also people forget that 'Mania 26 (featuring Bret Hart) was up against a big UFC/GSP PPV the day before - which did a 850,000 domestic buyrate. I think 885,000 buys is pretty good, considering.

Archived