The Wrestlemania stats thread~!

Up Chuck

• Paid Members

Same PPV buy totals list in chronological order, with the PPV figure for IV added, the WM20 figure corrected, and the domestic breakdowns where I could find them.

o WrestleMania 1 - 398,000 (Closed Circuit Television) and literally a handful on PPV.

o WrestleMania 2 - 319,000 (Closed Circuit Television) and Andre the Giant's handful on PPV.

o WrestleMania III - 450,000 (Closed Circuit Television) and another 400,000 on PPV

o WrestleMania IV - 175,000 (Closed Circuit Television), Approx 650,000 on PPV

o WrestleMania V - 767,000

o WrestleMania VI - 550,000

o WrestleMania VII - 400,000

o WrestleMania VIII - 360,000

o WrestleMania IX - 430,000

o WrestleMania X - 420,000

o WrestleMania XI - 340,000

o WrestleMania XII - 290,000

o WrestleMania 13 - 237,000

o WrestleMania XIV - 730,000

o WrestleMania XV - 800,000

o WrestleMania 2000 - 824,000

o WrestleMania X-Seven - 1,040,000 (950,000 domestic)

o WrestleMania X8 - 880,000

o WrestleMania XIX - 560,000

o WrestleMania XX - 885,000 (WWE figure, lower than that on the original version of this list)

o WrestleMania 21 - 1,085,000 (approx 650,000 domestic)

o WrestleMania 22 - 975,000 (approx 584,000 domestic)

o WrestleMania 23 - 1,250,000 (825,000 domestic)

o WrestleMania XXIV - 1,041,000 (697,000 domestic)

o WrestleMania XXV - 960,000 (605,000 domestic)

o WrestleMania XXVI - 885,000 (498,000 domestic)

o WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000 (617,000 domestic)

Up to 19, domestic is the vast majority of the total. Not sure about 20, but IIRC, it was on PPV in the UK so that will have made up at least a chunk of the buys.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dropoff for the next few years after WMV is quite interesting. I know Hogan/Savage was huge and had been bubbling for a year or so, but I would have imagined Hogan and Warrior would've at least equalled that, rather than losing over a quarter of the buys.

Similar with WM9 in 93 doing better wthan the previous two years.

• Paid Members

Hogan vs Savage was arguably the best storyline in wrestling history, though. Warrior vs Hogan was a babyface vs babyface match sold only on who was in it. They admitted it was a miscalculation having little storyline going into it. Babyface vs Babyface matches are always a bit of a roll of the dice, whoever is in it. On the plus side, it did wonders internationally. People forget, Savage and Hogan were megastars in 1989. Savage was drawing sellouts on the road by himself while Hogan was making No Holds Barred, and with a longterm perfect storyline behind it, it was going to do massive business.

Yeah, that WrestleMania IX buyrate compared to the two before it seems very odd. Was there a big change in PPV availability or something there?

Hogan had been out for a year. He was sort of the celebrity attraction at WrestleMania IX. The year before business was on its arse, thanks to a number of different things. In 1993, when Bret Hart was on top, a Hogan return to the fans at the time was probably a "ITS 1998 AGAIN, PG IS DEAD" type reaction these days. Seeing Hogan in the shithole that was the Manhattan Centre for Monday Night Raw looks odd though. Raw was like it was in the Impact Zone in 1993.

• Paid Members

The buyrate (percentage of homes with PPV capability that bought it) dropped every year from 4 through to 14.

VIII did 2.3 buyrate and IX did 2.0, so it does look like there was a significant increase in PPV availability that year (from about 15 million homes to 21 million homes.)

All other areas of WWF business slumped spectacularly from the Spring of 1992, so the rise in buys likely wasn't a sign of a fundamental increase in interest.

You're probably right there, Ian. I was far more interested in Hogan and Beefcake vs Money Inc than I was in Bret vs Yoko. Hogan coming back after a year off felt absolutely massive to me as a kid. There's a video of young me somewhere saying my favourite wrestler was "Hoak Hogan" in a black-boy voice, which must have been from that period because that was when I had a black best mate. And he was dyslexic. I was fascinated by Brutus wrestling again after his face-off as well. I'd read about his accident in a WWF magazine (don't know if it was a then-current one or an older one I'd got at the car boot) not long before that.

They did well to only drop 10,000 the year later for the first Hogan-less one.

• Paid Members
Great stuff on here - anybody have any access to WrestleMania payoffs?

I'm guessing big celebs such as Mayweather, Tyson & Trump etc walked away with $1m+ for their involvement but what about the wrestlers..

Is Hogans $500,000 payday for his match with Savage at WM5 still the highest anyone has earnt at WrestleMania?

I read that Orton got $500,000 for his main event vs Triple H at 25. Also read that The Rock and Austin got $1 Million each for Mania 17. Any truth to that?

J.R says that he knows of people who earned 7 figure sums at Wrestlemania and thought they were due to get more.

• Paid Members

What a tremendous thread. Great work there.

Anyway, bit of rubbish trivia... DDP has actually appeared twice at WrestleMania but, only ever in WrestleManias held in Toronto. He drove the car for Rhythm and Blues at WrestleMania VI and then actually wrestled at WrestleMania X8.

I thought i had another Toronto one. I thought Hogan had only ever lost at WrestleManias in Toronto. Where's his third loss from, WrestleMania IV?

• Paid Members

From the Observer's 2009 WWE Writers week: The original WrestleMania matches for Mania 22 were Eddie Guerrero vs Shawn Michaels, Vince McMahon vs Rey Mysterio, Batista vs Randy Orton and The Undertaker vs Kurt Angle. Mad how a Guerrero's death more or less messed up the whole card isnt it?

Also, when Mark Henry was put in the match against the Undertaker, Vince McMahon told the writing staff that he was thinking of having Mark Henry end the streak.

Archived