The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Anyone else note , as as usual, top film lists usually involve macho men doing macho things and barely a female lead to be found?

Might have something to do with the fact that the number of films featuring a male lead massively outweigh the number of films with a female lead.

• Paid Members
I have never seen any of the Alien films, but I always eye up the box set and am always tempted as I assume I'd love them if I took the risk and paid out for them.

Of the 4 how many are truly must see films would the film buffs on here say?

The first two, absolutely. The third has divided opinions, but I enjoy it. The fourth is absolute unnecessary money milking franchise gash though. I've no idea if the director's cut is any more watchable.

• Awards Moderator
I have never seen any of the Alien films, but I always eye up the box set and am always tempted as I assume I'd love them if I took the risk and paid out for them.

The first two, absolutely. The third has divided opinions, but I enjoy it. The fourth is absolute unnecessary money milking franchise gash though. I've no idea if the director's cut is any more watchable.

This thread convinced me to watch the third one yesterday (hadn't seen it before) and I quite enjoyed it - it was decent, but nothing more, I'd say. It has, however, tempted me to watch the fourth one, if only to find out how they get round the ending of 3...

• Paid Members

This thread convinced me to watch the third one yesterday (hadn't seen it before) and I quite enjoyed it - it was decent, but nothing more, I'd say. It has, however, tempted me to watch the fourth one, if only to find out how they get round the ending of 3...

If that's your thoughts, I'd say don't watch four, and let three end the way it did. Lance Henrikson isn't in four, so that should tell you that it's not worth watching.

The director's cut adds nothing of worth to Alien: Resurrection and during the special edition opening the director pretty much says (without actually saying it of course) that that cut is pointless.

IMO it only exists so that every film in the DVD/Blu-ray set has two versions, I like Alien: Resurrection personally (other then the hybrid at the end which was just plain shit) but then again I love Tank Girl so my opinion isn't really worth much lol.

As for Alien 3 I found the original release to be a massive let down but I loved the extended version.

• Paid Members
Anyone else note , as as usual, top film lists usually involve macho men doing macho things and barely a female lead to be found?

I know! With the massive amounts of fanny round here, I was expecting Beaches to have made an appearance by now!

• Paid Members

The Godfather (1972)

PP30843~The-Godfather-Respect-Posters.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 9.2

What's it about?

A splendid kebab shop situated on Kingsway in Burnage, Manchester. Free salad bar!

What do we say?

"Just simply everything about this film is perfect."

Oh, the FILM. Cheers, Snake Plissken, I might have made a fool of myself there, otherwise.

Ahh yes, the film. Mumbling Marlon Brando impressions, an offer he can't refuse, horse's head in the bed and so on. Yeah, it's pretty good, isn't it?

For some reason I am braced for a number of people saying that it really isn't all that good in response to the inclusion of Francis Ford Coppola's classic here. Not entirely sure why, but I just get that vibe this morning. Of course, I would poo-poo such suggestions - The Godfather is a true cinematic masterpiece in absolutely every way and although it didn't come close to making my list, it is about as close to being a faultless piece of work that you are ever going to find. EVERYTHING about this film screams absolute class.

While Brando's days of being a strikingly handsome leading man were by 1972 well behind him, his reinvention here as an elderly patriarch is a masterstroke of casting and performance. The rest of the cast is pretty good as well! The roles of Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall have been well covered, but where is the love for John Cazale as the ill-fated slow brother? And the always fantastic Sterling Hayden? And after we've all been criticised by some lump this morning for only talking about blokes, how about Diane Keaton and Talia Shire?

The cast is perfectly constructed right down to the most minute of cameos, the most famous scenes are now movie legend, but as mentioned before, everything about this film is bordering on perfect - most notably the music, some of which may or may not have been pinched from another film a few years beforehand, but plays an amazingly important part in the building of mood and tension. Get the soundtrack album.

Interesting sidenote about The Godfather films in this list - 8 people voted for The Godfather. 1 person voted for Part 2. Which, in my opinion, is mental.

Some good bits!

"ARRRRRRRGH!"

"It was an abortion."

Interesting sidenote about The Godfather films in this list - 8 people voted for The Godfather. 1 person voted for Part 2. Which, in my opinion, is mental.

Maybe, but with folk only getting the chance to pick 10, there would probably be a tendancy to only go for one film from any franchise/series. I'm a bit surprised that 1 is more popular than 2 because I thought the general consensus was otherwise, but I don't disagree with it, imo the first is a wee bit better. if folk actually were picking 50 of their own, you'd probably find that the two of them would be pretty close together.

As mentioned, I would agree that anyone seriously trying to put forward the point that the Godfether isn't very good is likely to be doing it for little more reason than just being contrary for the sake of it.

The Godfather is probably my fave gangster film, although I guess Goodfellas is a shoe in for the top 10. Or Once Upon A Time In America if you're a real bunch of serious buffs. Would be pretty cool if the Untouchables sneaked in somewhere though.

Edited by Reznor

I was presumably the only vote for Part 2, which I agree is stunning.

But no matter! The Godfather is just SO well directed it hurts. It covers a lot of ground but never feels rushed, nor does it sag in the middle, as long films often do. It's got wonderful dialogue, but also some great acting scenes without dialogue - not just Brando's death scene, but the moment Pacino sees his bride-to-be (phwoar, incidentally). It'a almost a lost art - scenes where the dialogue or action is incidental to the story being told. The whole opening wedding scene is like that too, introducing characters in a way which is completely incidental to the rest of the film.

It's also worth mentioning the score - such a powerful work. It's done in every fucking film now (monkeys throwing shit and all that) but the way his theme is reworked using different instrumentation, from a simple violin to the full orchestra, is masterful. It's even become shorthand for Mafia - just 3 notes from that theme, or a piece of music with the same scale, and you immediately think "Godfather".

When we do the "Best Scenes in Cinema History" thread, the assassination scene will definitely be in there. Brutal.

• Paid Members

As great as the first one is, I much prefer Godfather two. So it is indeed mental that only one person voted for it.

Brando just oozes charisma, as he mumbles his way through another fantastic performance. Also him refusing to collect his Oscar, and sending a Native American up to protest was a nice little diss.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

I like The Godfather, but there are far better gangster films for me with stronger characters and more engaging arcs. You can't really argue with the mood or cinematography though.

As for Godfather II, I honestly thought it would have been better if they'd made it into two separate films, with the Sicily plot in one and the US present day plot in another. For me, the two separate scenarios weren't connected enough to justify putting them together as a single entity.

• Paid Members

It's top 10 time, herberts!

Blade Runner (1982)

Blade_Runner_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 2

IMDB Rating: 8.3

What's it about?

Harrison Ford chases Rutger Hauer and friends around a future LA. Don't talk to Brion James about his mother.

What do we say?

Fortunately I don't have to count the nonsense spoken in some quarters about Blade Runner in some thread a few months ago (you berks know who you are) - but the plaudits piled on during the voting for this make for pretty conclusive reading:-

"It