The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

There was always pissheads in there.

One of my mates got a BJ off one of the girl ushers in there while we were watching Jaws 4. Pissed me off so I ate his share of the pick and mix.

• Paid Members
Ahh, fair enough, I'll let you off then.

Be interesting to know if people preferred the original version or the director's cut.

I prefer the director's cut, except for the stuff with the colonists. I think it's far creepier to have the Colonial Marines rock up to a deserted LV-426 and be thinking "Fucking hell, what happened here?"

I dunno about that. The fact that you see Newt's dad with a facehugger and then the next time you see the colony it is completely destroyed is pretty chilling as well. I just think the gaps are filled in really well.

• Paid Members

Not matter how many times or versions of Aliens I watch I ALWAYS remember it as the ITV edit 'no freaking way man' is still quoted by me and my brother. In fact I still have it on VHS. I cant explain how much I love this film. If I hadn't been a lazy twat and had done a list it easily would have been top 3. Its so full of stereotypical characters (80s corporate greed yuppie being the most dated) but it all works. Plus man in suit + awesome miniature work = better than CGI

Ahh, fair enough, I'll let you off then.

Be interesting to know if people preferred the original version or the director's cut.

I prefer the director's cut, except for the stuff with the colonists. I think it's far creepier to have the Colonial Marines rock up to a deserted LV-426 and be thinking "Fucking hell, what happened here?"

I dunno about that. The fact that you see Newt's dad with a facehugger and then the next time you see the colony it is completely destroyed is pretty chilling as well. I just think the gaps are filled in really well.

No, it spoils it. You don't want to know anything about the mission before they get there. One of the initially scary things about Aliens is that nobody has a clue - Ripley doesn't really know what the mission's about, and the Marines don't know what they're up against. You the viewer genuinely don't know what to expect when they land on the surface - people? Aliens? But no, just... nothing.

In the SE, you see the facehugger, and if you've even a vague knowledge of the original film, you'll guess what happens next.

Ridley Scott would never have included that bit, and Cameron was right to leave it out the first time. I also think having Newt's parents as characters, and Newt as a character, before the Marines meet her, again breaks the suspense later.

So, no. You're wrong :p

• Paid Members
No, it spoils it. You don't want to know anything about the mission before they get there. One of the initially scary things about Aliens is that nobody has a clue - Ripley doesn't really know what the mission's about, and the Marines don't know what they're up against. You the viewer genuinely don't know what to expect when they land on the surface - people? Aliens? But no, just... nothing.

In the SE, you see the facehugger, and if you've even a vague knowledge of the original film, you'll guess what happens next.

Ridley Scott would never have included that bit, and Cameron was right to leave it out the first time. I also think having Newt's parents as characters, and Newt as a character, before the Marines meet her, again breaks the suspense later.

So, no. You're wrong :p

Not necessarily. The fact is that what happened in the first film was one alien causing mayhem on quite a small ship with a handful of people. All we see is one facehugger attacking one guy in Aliens. We have no reference point that that could lead to the complete destruction of an entire colony.

I don't think it hands us on a plate the knowledge of what we're going to see next and the action doesn't feel quite as disconnected. I think the special edition adds a hell of a lot and contributes to it being a more complete film, and the shots of kids riding around the colony that we see in the special edition adds extra tragedy to the destruction we see.

Of course, the original is utterly brilliant without these scenes. I'm not saying they're essential, but I do think they improve it.

• Paid Members

American Beauty (1999)

American_Beauty_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 2

IMDB Rating: 8.5

What's it about?

Kevin Spacey's having a mid-life crisis. Then Thora Birch brings Mena Suvari home. BOIIIING!

What do we say?

"Who knew carrier bags were beautiful?" says niff. You clearly haven't seen Norman Lovett's Bags & Biscuits DVD, sunshine!

I'm quite surprised at just how high American Beauty has finished. Nothing against its quality at all, it is indeed a great film, but perhaps one of those kinds of films that I had thought had split opinion on here. Obviously I'm thinking of something else.

I have to say that I have yet to properly warm to Sam Mendes as a director. I'm intrigued to see what he will do with a James Bond film but I just wonder if he is one of those directors that will do well to better his first film. Indeed, as far as debut films go, American Beauty has to be right up there with the very best that you will see so maybe it's an unfair expectation.

He is helped by a cast that is so good that you are left wondering whether he could have gone wrong anyway. Spacey's performance is as predictable in its quality as his appearance on this list in another film is. I have been waiting for more in terms of quality from Mena Suvari since this and although it hasn't quite happened for her I'm more than inclined to let her off for obvious aesthetic reasons. Same goes for Thora Birch, really.

It's a recurring theme with films on this list, interestingly - films where breakthrough stars have failed to live up to expectation. Wes Bentley's another. After recently witnessing his performance in P2, a film that he didn't need to be very good in but actually ends up being absolutely superb in, you do wonder why it hasn't happened for him in particular. Of course, for the likes of Peter Gallagher, Allison Janney and the fantastic Annette Bening and Chris Cooper, they already had splendid careers behind them and continue to pop up in excellent films. Plus, a Scott Bakula sighting!

A tremendous slice of Americana with dashes of humour, romance, erotica, melodrama and surrealism - a remarkable and daring debut that impresses in almost every way.

Some good bits!

• Paid Members

I have never seen any of the Alien films, but I always eye up the box set and am always tempted as I assume I'd love them if I took the risk and paid out for them.

Of the 4 how many are truly must see films would the film buffs on here say?

• Paid Members
I have never seen any of the Alien films, but I always eye up the box set and am always tempted as I assume I'd love them if I took the risk and paid out for them.

Of the 4 how many are truly must see films would the film buffs on here say?

The first three. The last one doesn't count. Like the mythical Rocky 5.

• Paid Members
The first three. The last one doesn't count. Like the mythical Rocky 5.

There was a Rocky 5? Stop lying!

American Beauty is a brilliant film. It was the first 18 I saw at the cinema, and the way I managed to get into the theatre (when I looked like a 12 year old) was genius. I went with two friends, and we decided to get a family ticket. However, one of us had to be under 16 to get the family ticket. As I looked youngest, that would be me. So there I was, 16 or 17 years old, pretending to be both 15 AND 18 to get a ticket and it worked. I think it all confused the fuck out of the ticket guy to the point he just went with it.

But this film started my admiration for Spacey, this really is a wonderful performance from him.

• Paid Members

I think I placed American Beauty at number 3, it's a real modern classic and well deserved the critical appreciation (and oscars) it received. It's probably my favourite performance from a lead actor, Spacey is just perfect, and Chris Coopers performance is also right up there with the best supporting roles I've seen.