The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Members
2 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

That's a good effort. I used Gousto a few times on the cheap deals and they aren't bad, but found some of the recipes pretty poor and didn't come out anywhere near what they were meant to.

This wouldve been fairly spot on if I'd added some cornflour apparently but I'm really not confident changing recipes halfway through, even for something as small a change as that.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

That's a good effort. I used Gousto a few times on the cheap deals and they aren't bad, but found some of the recipes pretty poor and didn't come out anywhere near what they were meant to.

@FLips where is the best place/value to get pickling vinegar from? 

My wife got a 5 litre bottle of distilled malt vinegar from Amazon for £6.89. Does the job!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

where is the best place/value to get pickling vinegar from? 

I don't know if you do much pickling but what I would say is experiment. I've pickled some red onions in a mix of 2/3 red wine vinegar 1/3 water and a little sugar heated to a low boil this afternoon. Its a quick pickle but the onions take the red wine vinegar very well. 

19 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Absolute faff though, no way that takes 20 minutes Gousto. 

We've been doing Guosto for a while and have been enjoying the variety rather than just eating the same 4 dishes in rotation. However, you have to be careful what you pick as some dishes can be a faff so I only order those if I feel like something challenging. The timings are always off, I only find they are somewhere near accurate if me and Mr Deathrey are cooking together, if it's just one of us, it usually takes double the time they stated.

• Members

This is what is was supposed to look like. 20240918_151220.thumb.jpg.98738879114e0fdfaf3ea3fbe0610b40.jpg

and this is how it ended up.

20240918_150707.thumb.jpg.c38cdd47d9fd28a05db5baa375c1aa96.jpg

No idea what I've done wrong with the spring greens as I've never cooked them, and I overcooked the potatoes but it was fantastic. And I cooked chicken!

Will this be my last ever post? Maybe some of you will get lucky...

20240918_150600.thumb.jpg.e6b994e01cdb0f2e14fecde8827bfbe3.jpg

I also made hoisin pork wraps yesterday but they were awful. Can't stand that flavour but hate food waste.

• Members
2 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Are you feeling a bit more confident about cooking chicken now @SuperBacon? It's not that hard

I am, thanks for asking! I must admit I've probably overcooked it a bit both times this week but that's just to make sure. I could pretty much see that it was done, especially with todays.

The recipe said to "brown" off the chicken before adding the stock/sauce and boy did I brown that chuck off. Then when I took the chicken out to "pull" it before adding it back to the sauce I could see it was nicely done. So that's baked and boiled chicken I've done in the last two days. Lovely stuff.

2 minutes ago, deathrey said:

It's not that hard

That's what she said.

32 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I am, thanks for asking! I must admit I've probably overcooked it a bit both times this week but that's just to make sure. I could pretty much see that it was done, especially with todays.

The recipe said to "brown" off the chicken before adding the stock/sauce and boy did I brown that chuck off. Then when I took the chicken out to "pull" it before adding it back to the sauce I could see it was nicely done. So that's baked and boiled chicken I've done in the last two days. Lovely stuff.

That's what she said.

Glad to hear it, keep giving it a go and trying things, your confidence will grow. You could use that method of pulling chicken and put it in tacos or fajitas so it can be quite versatile