Dragon Gate USA & EVOLVE Discussion/News/Review Thread

Big Benny HG

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I like the BxB Hulk character, having seen it develop to some degree, but I don't know that it really accentuates his strengths as a wrestler to someone that's not seen him before.

Dragon Gate USA: Untouchable 2011 - 10/9/11

DGUSA returns to the Congress Theater in Chicago. The fact they are running a proper venue and have a reasonable crowd in immediately sets this on a level way above the previous night's show in Indianapolis.

The Scene vs Kentucky Buffet - In case you were wondering, the latter duo are "Original Recipe" Matt Cage and "Extra Crispy" Alex Castle. At just 3:16, this is basically a squash win for The Scene, but not a very good one. It's a somewhat competitive bout until Cage is pinned by The Scene's DDT into wheelbarrow German finisher, then Brodie Lee runs out and wipes out Castle. Before Brodie can do any more damage, though, Larry Dallas leads The Scene away from a confrontation. Next...

Rich Swann vs Jon Davis - A decent little match this, though it's a bit weird that Jon Davis, who was clearly set as a fan favourite against Arik Cannon the night before, is put in the position of a dominant big man against plucky underdog Rich Swann here. I liked that they did an extended sequence where, having survived a load of Davis offense, Swann then has Davis reeling with a sequence of his high flying moves and kicks, before he jumps himself into Three Seconds Around The World for the Davis victory at 9:19. Good stuff.

Brodie Lee comes out again after that, attacking Swann with a half-arsed big boot and powerbomb, wiping out Gregory Iron again in similar fashion, before the angle comes to a conclusion with Uhaa Nation coming out and throwing Brodie around. Weirdly though, Brodie gets the upper hand again before bailing to leave the fans wanting more. He should have taken a flurry from Uhaa Nation and rolled out straight away...

We then get a really nicely put together video package documenting AR Fox's problems with the D.U.F. and hyping the tag grudge matches of the weekend. However, the next match on the DVD is...

Pac vs Ricochet - The second match in their series to determine the best highflyer, this singles match has everything you'd expect from these two, though Lenny Leonard comparing their rivalry to Tiger Mask vs Dynamite Kid and Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis is a bit irritating after awhile. I have to acknowledge Ricochet's persona as part of Blood Warriors, he's very dislikable. Pac gets the win with British Airways at 10:04 to tie the series 1-1.

Brodie Lee and the rest of Blood Warriors run in after that one, and after Ricochet gets his heat back, we get one of Gabe's everyone-runs-in-and-does-crazy-dives sequences, featuring Ronin, AR Fox, an insane superplex of Pinkie Sanchez onto the pile by his own D.U.F. teammates, and finally Sabu. It all starts to make sense as we transition into...

No DQ: AR Fox & Sabu vs Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez - There's three parts to this one really, and two of those are good, but the middle one drags things down (I'm doing my best to avoid the usual cliche here!). Following on from the dives sequence, we get a good, intense brawl around ringside and partly in the crowd from all four men, with some of it covered by a split screen so you can see everything. Then, for some reason, the D.U.F. get a heat sequence on AR Fox that incudes the ref enforcing legal man rules for several minutes. That makes no sense in the context of a no-DQ match, and the crowd don't react to it at all. They manage to reheat the match at the end though, which makes it a worthwhile effort overall. Pinkie Sanchez gets put through a table by Sabu, and Fox follows that up with a Swanton through the broken table and a 450 splash on the table onto Sanchez for the pin at 11:44. That certainly got my attention.

Johnny Gargano vs Akira Tozawa - Before this one, there's a really, really good promo video on Gargano, with the man himself doing voiceover and talking about his DGUSA career to date, the turning points that have seen him rise up the card, and his Freedom Gate title ambitions. As for the match itself: it's the type of pretty long singles encounter Gargano needs to prove himself in, but Tozawa's switch to the Blood Warriors faction means he's dropped a load of the flashy offense that's made him so popular with Western audiences, and as a result this one doesn't stand out compared to many of Tozawa's earlier DGUSA (and PWG) matches. Gargano holds his end up pretty well, but he doesn't seem to quite have the connection with the audience to really make you root for him. The obvious comparison would be with Austin Aries when Generation Next turned face in ROH in 2005, which I think I've mentioned before, and Gargano is still nowhere near that level. Also, his road towards the Open The Freedom Gate title is done no favours when he goes down to the Straightjacket German at 20:28. A bit of a disappointment then, the match certainly didn't live up to any expectations built up by the video leading into it.

Four Way Freestyle: Naruki Doi vs Masato Yoshino vs Chuck Taylor vs Sami Callihan - Interesting matchmaking here, with one member of all four of the factions in DGUSA involved, and the ability to book a match of your choice for your faction the prize for the winner. The obvious comparison for this match is the Four Way Freestyle back at Uprising, where CIMA pinned YAMATO to set up the upcoming main event on this show. Doi and Yoshino have some good exchanges and some brief moments of collaboration, but the match never reaches sprint territory like you might expect of a match given the Freestyle billing. The match also ends pretty suddenly, Taylor hitting Callihan with the Awful Waffle for the pin at just 10:14. Chucky T then reiterates that Ronin will be going for all the belts, and nails Yoshino with a superkick for the second night in a row. At least the storytelling aspect of this is obviously going somewhere, as the match itself was fine but not great.

Open The Freedom Gate Title: YAMATO vs CIMA - Much like Gargano vs Tozawa, I have to say I expected more from this. CIMA's title shot has been building for a little while, he gets heat with the Blood Warriors faction, and he's a challenger anyone familiar with Dragon Gate will know, but the match just kind of plays out at half pace to a muted reaction. You have to think YAMATO's title reign was going better when the fans were behind his challengers - certainly the title shots of Austin Aries, Akira Tozawa and PAC are all much better. YAMATO survives all CIMA's trademark offense before retaining the title with Gallaria at 21:59. CIMA then says BxB Hulk is coming to reclain his title in a no DQ, no rope match. I'm interested to see how that one plays out for sure.

Overall - A much better show than the DVD taping in Indianapolis the night before, you can see the focus on the iPPV events with this one having better storytelling and only having the opener as a really weak match. That said, the top matches on this one were at least mildly disappointing, so I find it hard to give Untouchable 2011 too much of a recommendation. DVD run time is 2 hours, 22 minutes, with a pre-show FRAY! in the bonus section for good measure.

• Paid Members
I don't blame Gabe for giving Ki this run - if there's one thing he desperately needs for EVOLVE when the Dragon Gate guys aren't around, it's main event talent. Even DGUSA has a clear divide between the top few non-DG names and the filler guys who are never going to be main event caliber.

Point taken; but you're never going to get any other guys over in a company where Ki is the top guy. As Attlee said, "it's the heavy roller; doesn't let the grass grow underneath."

• Paid Members

I am dismayed that this news will bring Fox to the attention of more people than he deserves - the matches I've seen of his on DGUSA DVDs, I've thought he was shit.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure quite how I'm supposed to post a review after that, but, well...

Here's a review of Way of the Ronin 2011!

Dragon Gate USA: Way Of The Ronin 2011 - 11/9/11

DGUSA returns to the Miramar Theater in Milwaukee, where one year prior the ring didn't arrive until well after scheduled bell time and the crowd was still very much into the show when it finally started. No such problems with the ring affect the show this time, but this year there's a distinct lack of ring lighting. In fact, from the backstage promos and suchlike added to the show, it appears that the venue is a complete dump. There's a crowd of a reasonable number in once again, though, and they're hot for the DGUSA talent.

Six Way Freestyle: Louis Lyndon vs Cedric Alexander vs Stitch Sypher vs Eric Ryan vs Brett Gakiya vs CJ Esparaza - This is from the bonus card, and sits alongside the excellent Johnny Gargano "Turning Points" promo video from the night before in the bonus section of the DVD, but I thought it was worth mentioning here purely because it wasn't one of those god-awful FRAY! matches. In fact, considering I only know two of the six guys involved, I definitely liked this. It was entertaining low-card mayhem, and the limited crowd that gets to see these matches got into it as well. Lyndon wins in 9:12.

Chuck Taylor & Rich Swann vs The Scene - For the third night in a row, The Scene feature in the opening bout. The difference here, though, is that they're not the ones in the spotlight (such as there is). In fact, in the early going they are little more than fodder for the antics of the Ronin boys. Things only get better, too, as the match develops into a competitive, flowing bout, first with The Scene working over Swann and getting heat as they go, then with an increasingly dramatic, crowd popping finishing stretch. Taylor pins Scott Reed with the Awful Waffle at 14:13, but Reed and Caleb Konley looked better in defeat here than in any match I've seen them win so far. Meanwhile, you have to think that had business not gone sour between ROH and Dragon Gate when it did, that both Taylor and Swann would be tearing it up in the ROH midcard right now. Certainly ROH could use guys with their character levels - you have to give Dragon Gate credit for rounding talent as characters as well as the in-ring skills.

Brodie Lee vs Silas Young - It's a good sign that probably the worst thing about this is the tenuous storyline going in - Young comes out and calls out Brodie for being a bully across the weekend's shows, which is fair enough, but also includes bullying "his wife" who accompanies him to ringside. We've never seen her before, but the crowd get into Silas taking it to Brodie, so maybe it's effective after all. The in-ring side of the match is more than just decent, as they keep up the feeling of Silas really wanting to take Brodie out, and also build increasingly dramatic, power move based nearfalls. A distraction from Akira Tozawa costs Silas the advantage near the end, however, and while he survives the Truckstop, the sitdown powerbomb gives Brodie the victory at 8:58. A second good match, this show is rolling nicely.

Brodie grabs the mic after the match, and dismisses the challenge of Silas as "easy" (before then stopping to get his breath back, which is a great touch), and calls for a better challenge. Jon Davis comes out, but Tozawa attacks him and we go into our next scheduled match...

Akira Tozawa vs Jon Davis - More goodness here. Tozawa tries to heel it up, but the crowd are having none of it. Davis also gets good reactions, though, and hits a series of good looking power moves and generally looks Tozawa's equal. Unlike his match with Johnny Gargano the night before, this is fairly short, and therefore Tozawa looks more like his usual high intensity self, culminating in a big crowd pop and standing ovation for his German suplex victory at 7:34. It has to be said booking Tozawa as a heel in the USA will be a challenge.

YAMATO & AR Fox vs Sami Callihan & Arik Cannon - Grudge tag team action here, after an interval (for the live crowd and iPPV viewer anyway) in which time they've got the lighting working. Yay! Highlight of the early going is probably the, erm, stiff exchanges between Fox and Callihan, a theme that continues as the D.U.F. duo isolate Fox for a good, extended heat segment. You could argue that there's some overkill on the big moves here and in the finishing sequence, but I find it fine given the Grudge match billing and tag match setting. Fox almost gets the win with Lo Mein Pain on Callihan (that's what his Arabian Press-Spanish Fly is called, I've found out), but Cannon just saves, then Callihan counters the flying Codebreaker into the Stretch Muffler and kicks Fox in the head until he submits at 17:43. Really good match, the best showcase of the D.U.F so far in DGUSA.

Once again we then get one match into another, as the D.U.F. continue to brawl with Fox and YAMATO, Pinkie Sanchez comes out to help, and we move on to...

Sabu vs Pinkie Sanchez - Not bad for an ECW-style brawl, Sanchez lets Sabu throw chairs at him, and bust him open with a spike so he bleeds everywhere, yet also gets to work over Sabu for a bit. Overall, though, this feels longer than the 7:41 it went. Sabu wins with an Arabian facebuster through a table, but then the D.U.F. come out again, AR Fox tries to save but gets another beating, and loads of no-name guys from the back take an age to get the advantage. That actually rallies the crowd behind the D.U.F. which couldn't have been the plan...

Four Way Freestyle: Flip Kendrick vs Uhaa Nation vs Sugar Dunkerton vs Facade - The live crowd are pretty forgiving towards this, but I thought it was really bad in places. Facade in particular is terrible - no sense of timing or ring positioning. There's not enough Uhaa Nation vs skinny guys in this one either, in fact Nation shows a lack of prescence until the end, and then he almost ruins the finish. Dunkerton is probably the man of the match, for showing some character and some moves without relying on stunts, but sadly is the designated jobber, going down to Nation's triple powerbombs sequence at 8:39.

Naruki Doi vs Johnny Gargano - Now, this is the way to make Gargano into a star, and is much better than Gargano vs Tozawa the night before. Doi controls the bulk of the match, but without dominating too much, losing the crowd or putting too much of the focus on himself. Credit to the crowd actually, who mostly cut the smarky bullshit and get behind Gargano, so that when Gargano then really turns it on towards the end, the anticipation that he's going pull it out really comes across. Some of the exchanges before the finish are thrilling stuff, especially if you're familiar with the trademark stuff of both guys, and when Doi starts trying to hit the Muscular Bomb, you really sense his desparation. Gargano, however, is due his day, and gets the clean as a whistle submission win with a second Hurts Donut into the Gargano Escape at 17:24. Excellent.

Gargano celebrates his victory by announcing this has to make him number one contender, and challenges YAMATO for an Open The Freedom Gate title match at BB Kings in New York on November 13th. This brings out Chuck Taylor, who uses his ability to make a match for his stable that he won the previous evening to challenge YAMATO in Philadelphia on November 12th. The trouble in Ronin gets worse as Taylor then accuses Rich Swann of being loyal to Junction Three over Ronin. Oh dear...

Open The United Gate vs Open The Twin Gate Title Match: Pac & Masato Yoshino vs Ricochet & CIMA - This is certainly a massive match to end the weekend with, and this is only highlighted by all of the Blood Warriors and Junction Three stablemates of both teams being at ringside. Got to love that. This is also the third and deciding match in the Pac vs Ricochet series, and the focus of the match is largely on them, at least until the very end. The fact that their feud feels more personal than just two guys doing a flip-heavy dance routine while at the same time still having the dazzling moves is quite something. Pac ends up on the receiving end of a heat segment, then when things break down after Yoshino gets the hot tag, there's one of those rare moments where the match is actually enhanced by a ref bump. Everyone who has been at ringside ends up getting involved, though JIII only come in after BW have interfered first. The nearfalls after that get everyone in the crowd biting, and the last few minutes have an electric atmosphere. It's CIMA who ends up with Yoshino reeling, and while a second rope Schwein is only enough for two, Meteora sees CIMA and Ricochet become the second Open The United Gate champions at 24:11. As much as it's a really great match, it's not much of a moment, as the crowd seem deflated at the BW victory, though that's a minor complaint really.

Overall - One of the best DGUSA events of 2011 so far, with a decent undercard and two really good main events, and just a couple of iffy matches in the middle, but even then it could be argued having Sabu in will add some interest to a different audience. Certainly this is the best of the three events of the weekend, even with the lighting problems early on. DVD run time is 2 hours, 32 minutes, plus the bonus content.

• 1 month later...

Archived