Big Benny HG

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mercury Rising 2012 Results

Bobby Fish def Jon Davis

Arik Cannon vs AR Fox ended in a No Contest

Sabu def Sami Callihan in a Street Fight

El Generico def CIMA, Rich Swann, Chuck Taylor, Samurai Del Sol and Lince Dorado

The Scene def Los Pendejos

Johnny Gargano def Yoshino to retain the Open The Freedom Gate title

Low Ki, BxB Hulk & Akira Tozawa def PAC, Ricochet & Masaaki Mochizuki

Got well confused there for a minute, CIMA in PACs match and vice versa. So it was Samurai Del Sol and El Generico as the guest lucha guys for the Aerial Invitational? Who's this Samurai Del Sol bloke? Any good?

• Paid Members

Dragon Gate USA - Open the Ultimate Gate 2012 (30 March 2012)

Dragon Gate USA opened up for business in July 2009. At that time, I wasn't really interested in starting to follow any new promotions full time, so I liked their model of running a one-off PPV event every couple of months. It was nice and easy to pick up, watch and follow and didn't require the hours and hours of dedication that watching something like ROH did at the time. Those early PPV shows were superb, with several excellent matches each time out and the model of running 1 show every couple of months meant that it came across to the audience as something special and unique to look forward to, and it didn't end up in overkill of the style.

Gradually, presumably for financial reasons in order to make the most efficient use of flying the native DG guys in, they started running as double- and then triple-headers, taping one of their PPVs together with the extra shows as DVD exclusives. The model changed again with the advent of internet PPV, as they moved towards virtually every one of their shows being available across the globe live to anyone that wanted to see them. With this, the actual PPV events started to take on less importance to them, and it came across by the end that they were just fulfilling the 2-year deal with the PPV broadcasters so they could go iPPV full time.

While all this was going on, I still just stuck to the 'proper' PPV events, as I still had no inclination to want to watch yet another promotion full-time. While there was plenty on the PPV events that I liked, there was certainly not enough to convince me to start picking up the other DVDs or iPPV shows. Most of the shows could be summed up by having a good, decent quality standard of wrestling from the Japanese fly-ins and a few of the US guys, but nothing ever really spectacular or 'must see'. As such, with the end of the PPV deal, I wasn't about to start picking up all of their other events from now on and told myself I would only check out something that came with an amazing review or similar.

This past Friday night, as part of the promotion's now-traditional double-header of shows on WrestleMania weekend in the same city, DGUSA decided to offer their 'Open the Ultimate Gate 2012' iPPV for just $1.99, or about

Got well confused there for a minute, CIMA in PACs match and vice versa. So it was Samurai Del Sol and El Generico as the guest lucha guys for the Aerial Invitational? Who's this Samurai Del Sol bloke? Any good?

Yeh, it was all abit strange really. PAC came out after the first match to say because of CIMA's condition that he felt he should be added to the main event and CIMA be removed from it and as a result, there'd be no PAC Invitational. Then Chuck Taylor came out and said he was having a Chuck Taylor Invitational. But then CIMA ended up being in the Invitational later on. I guess they didnt wanna risk him in such a high profile main event, as his role in the 6 way was kept minimal.

I've no idea who Samurai Del Sol is but yes, he was the mystery luchador. He was really impressive I thought, if you have time for the high flying style. Hope to see more of him

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Dragon Gate USA: Chasing The Dragon - 9/9/11

DGUSA debuts in Indianapolis. The venue is typical of your average sports hall, and the crowd is probably under 200. In other words: they've drawn an IWA Mid-South crowd, the only promotion I could name to have run shows in Indiana before this.

We start with a promo by Pac, Rich Swann and AR Fox about the Captain's Six Man Tag Team Match that is our main event. As with several other promos that appear throughout this DVD presentation, they appear to be shot in someone's house, in a combination kitchen/office. Oh dear.

The Scene vs Tripp Cassidy & Remi Wilkins - This is basically a squash at just 3:17, but it still finds time to be awful. Note to Caleb 'Fake Spanky' Konley: don't do a Regalplex just 90 seconds into a match. The Scene win with a bridging DDT/wheelbarrow suplex combo, and Larry Dallas jumps the rail to join them afterwards. Fucks sake.

I'd like to point out that at this stage, only ten minutes of the DVD have elapsed, and I'm desperately wanting to abandon the show. It's almost embarrassing.

Uhaa Nation vs Aaron Draven - As with Cassidy and Wilkins in the opener, Draven appears to be a total non-entity as he makes his ring entrance. The match starts and he shows a bit more athletic skill, but once Nation hits his stride, this quickly becomes a second straight squash match. Draven kicks out of a combination of THREE POWERBOMBS (!!) as I wonder why on earth I am watching this shit, but it turns out they wanted Uhaa Nation to show that he can do a standing shooting star press, and that's the finish at 2:42.

Arik Cannon vs Jon Davis - It comes to something when I'm actually grateful for a match featuring Arik Cannon. Plus, Pinkie Sanchez is at ringside, and his involvement is usually entertaining. That said, this is pretty much a Jon Davis carry job, as he controls things with his size and power, lets Cannon build some heat after a distraction from Pinkie, then the crowd come unglued for Davis at the end. They go particularly mental for a Pounce that wipes out Pinkie, before Davis gets the pin with Three Seconds Around The World at 11:45. This was little more than solid, really, but the end was good.

Brodie Lee vs BJ Whitmer vs Sugar Dunkerton vs Mike Sydal vs Flip Kendrick vs Billy Roc - This is a six way elimination match. Yes, BJ Whitmer is in it. No, Billy Roc isn't the fake Jumpin' Jaks. In fact, Brodie Lee is the only thing worth watching here. First, with the rest of Blood Warriors, he destroys Gregory Iron and takes his spot in the match, then wipes out everyone else when they try to enter, until Whitmer comes out of course, then the match starts proper.

The six way section of the match is contrived nonsense, going on more or less at random until Brodie pins Sydal with a powerbomb. Local guy Billy Roc gets a backslide pin on Dunkerton, then eats a big boot and is eliminated by Brodie. For some reason Whitmer is then protected with a DQ elimination after he intercepts Ricochet's attempt to throw a chair to Brodie. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, Flip Kendrick gets frightened by being in a one-on-one situation and starts botching all over the place. Mercifully, Brodie finishes him off with a Truckstop at 11:28. This was horrendous.

Naruki Doi vs Sami Callihan - As a star in the local IPW promotion, Sami Callihan wrestles this one in full-on babyface mode, which takes a bit of getting used to, to say the least. Some half-arsed striking in the earlier stages aside, this is a pretty decent encounter, though more of a sprint than a proper DG main event type match. You never really feel like Doi's going to lose here either, and sure enough, while Callihan kicks out of the Doi 555-Bakatare sliding kick combo, a Super Doi 555-Bakatare combo keeps him down at 13:05. Blood Warriors win again...

Pinkie Sanchez vs Louis Lyndon - This is the post-intermission match, I guess. Pinkie's D.U.F. character and some reasonable stunts from Lyndon keep it watchable enough until Sanchez drops Lyndon right on his head with a Burning Hammer for the pin at 7:11. Next...

YAMATO & Masato Yoshino vs Johnny Gargano & Chuck Taylor - While this is the first DGUSA appearance of the Junction Three faction, the story here is YAMATO facing two potential Open The Freedom Gate title challengers in one tag match. It has to be said that the majority of the match, while smooth and easy on the eye, doesn't get a lot of heat. The JIII combo dominate for the most part, with the Ronin duo not really getting onto an even footing until the match gets towards the concluding stages. The sprint portion doesn't really compare to the best DGUSA tags either. The finish is interesting however - as YAMATO is on the verge of tapping out to the Gargano Escape, Taylor is trapped in Sol Naciente by Yoshino, and verbally submits at 18:04, seemingly to deliberately prevent his own partner from defeating the champion. Unfortunately, we don't see if YAMATO actually tapped or not, as they don't show a camera angle that covers him while Taylor is submitting. Oh dear.

PAC, Rich Swann & AR Fox vs Ricochet, CIMA & Akira Tozawa - In addition to the Captain's Fall gimmick (Pac beating Ricochet or Ricochet beating Pac is the only way the match can end), this is also the first in a series of three matches this weekend to determine which of the two is the best highflyer. While Ricochet has members of Blood Warriors as his partners, Pac has picked more highflyers, so we certainly get plenty of aerial action which gets the crowd into things and makes this the best match of the night. Unlike many of the no-names doing moves on the undercard, there's no obvious weak links in this match, which certainly helps. A hot finishing sequence ends when Ricochet follows a German suplex from Tozawa and the Schwein from CIMA with the 630 for the pin at 17:31.

The show ends with Blood Warriors continuing to beat down Pac, until first YAMATO and Yoshino then Gargano and Taylor make the save. Chuck Taylor, however, decides to reiterate his Open The Freedom Gate challenge, and question Rich Swann as to his loyalty to Ronin or Junction Three, before superkicking Yoshino and bolting. Oooh, Chuck, what are you thinking?

Overall - A decent main event, and two or three other reasonable matches, don't make this a worthy purchase overall. One of DGUSA's weaker efforts, this highlights the dearth of talent out there when you get beyond the top level guys in DGUSA. I'm still amazed I didn't give up altogether after the opener or the six way elimination. DVD run time is 2 hours, 21 minutes.

• Paid Members
Brodie Lee vs BJ Whitmer vs Sugar Dunkerton vs Mike Sydal vs Flip Kendrick vs Billy Roc - This is a six way elimination match. Yes, BJ Whitmer is in it. No, Billy Roc isn't the fake Jumpin' Jaks. In fact, Brodie Lee is the only thing worth watching here. First, with the rest of Blood Warriors, he destroys Gregory Iron and takes his spot in the match, then wipes out everyone else when they try to enter, until Whitmer comes out of course, then the match starts proper.

I'm possibly one of the only people reading this thread that will get that reference :laugh::laugh:

Also, is Gregory Iron that disabled guy?

EVOLVE 11 tonight on iPPV at www.WWNLive.com. Anyone ordering? Here's the card:

The Rematch - Main Event #1

Dave "Fit" Finlay (1-0) vs. Sami Callihan (3-3)

Battle Of The Best - Main Event #2

Low Ki (1-0) vs. El Generico (0-0)

EVOLVE Co-Wins Leader vs. Style Battle Champion

Johnny Gargano (6-3) vs. AR Fox (2-1)

EVOLVE Co-Wins Leader vs. New Sensation

Chuck Taylor (6-3) vs. Samuray Del Sol (0-0)

Tag Team Attraction

The Scene (2-0) vs. Super Smash Brothers (1-2)

JUST SIGNED: Special Challenge Match #1

Bobby Fish (2-4) vs. Alex Reynolds (0-0)

JUST SIGNED: Special Challenge Match #2

John Silver (1-0) vs. Cheech (1-0)

JUST SIGNED: Special Challenge Match #3

Josh Alexander (0-0) vs. Chuck Taylor Mystery Man

• Paid Members

Like Zach Gowan, you can't really suspend disbelief when Irons is in the ring; but you have to love his spinning backfist - "The Gimp Slap" :laugh:

Archived