Dragon Gate USA & EVOLVE Discussion/News/Review Thread

Big Benny HG

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CIMA got ousted out of BW on the 19th. Tozawa and Hulk are in charge now.

Oh had no clue about that! DGUSA site needs updating a tad more then..

Cracking news for Tozawa- he really is the nads that boy aint he? When we went to Broxbourne my mate hadn't seen any DG but said he was one of the best parts, he really gets over as an awesome heel, almost to the point you like him... which can be a tricky one.

To be fair with the amount of changes in DG, by the time DG USA updates their site accordingly, it'll all be changed again.

At least Gabe is given prior notice to the changes so the shows work with the current and relevant events in Japan.

On the 7th (or is it 9th?) of Feb, Blood Warriors or Junction Three will be no more after a 7 vs 7 losing team splits up match.

• Paid Members
Who on earth does Lo-Ki think he is, giving advice to the "talent"? He's blown every chance he's been given with a major company.

:laugh: Can't argue with that assessment.

Gargano? Ricochet? Well perhaps before johhny fucked his back and ricochet..hmm if Bourne gets booted they need a new flippy lad to jump about.

Also this could just be the equivalent of a footie scout just looking to see what's out there.

• Paid Members
Pac?

As much I'd love to say yes to that, promos would be the obvious issue there.

EDIT: if I was going to choose one of the Japanese guys, I'd go for Dragon Kid. He's a much better fit for Rey's replacement than Sin Cara ever was.

Considering Dragon Kid is one of the smallest guys in DG (where the guy's are way shorter than in WWE) I think he would just get laughed at in WWE, despite being one of the best flyers around. Unless he was gonna add 30lbs to his frame, which in these Wellness Policy days I don't think is an option.

Of them all I think PAC should be the one they sign.

• Paid Members

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Lo-Ki wins

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

EDIT : Just discovered this . And they say Sapolsky is a bit of a mark for himself...

• Paid Members

Dragon Gate USA Untouchable 2010 (25 September 2010)

untouchable2010-large.jpguntouchable2010poster.jpg

DGUSA returns to Chicago, IL as it presents its eighth nationally televised Pay-Per-View special. In addition to all of the matches which would feature on the 12 November PPV airing, this DVD version also includes the non-PPV main event from the live show, featuring the WWE-contracted Bryan Danielson. I am also reminded of how Chi-Town's Congress Theatre looks exactly like the Liverpool Olympia. The again, one frequent visitor to this thread will probably tell you I think every venue looks like Liverpool Olympia....

Things start with a lukewarm 3-way between Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk and Mike Quackenbush, representing Kamikaze USA, World-1 and Chikara respectively. A personality-free exhibition of moves played out to a silent crowd, these 3 are capable of so much better. A quick, throwaway Brodie Lee squash of Da Soul Touchaz later and the PPV steps it up in a big way with a grudge match pitting Dragon Kid against SHINGO. These two had a wonderful dynamic as tag partners in 2009 and work equally well together as opponents, as SHINGO throws and slams Kid around and Kid fights back with his flashy offence when he can. A belting encounter which tears the house down.

A change of pace next, but things stay strong as Jimmy Jacobs searches his past to resurrect his Barbaric Beserker persona for a hate-fuelled and violent Streetfight against Jon Moxley. A red-hot brawl through the crowd is followed by chains, spikes and chairs coming into play in the ring. Interference from Brodie Lee and Moxley's Kamikaze USA buddy YAMATO keep things interesting and the finish is creative. Thumbs up for this great brawl. Rich Swann vs. Drake Younger vs. Chuck Taylor vs. Johnny Gargano in a Fourway Freestyle is next in a PPV exhibition for the EVOLVE regulars. It doesn't come close to matching the awesome 4-way from the last PPV ('Enter the Dragon 2010'), but it is still fairly enjoyable filler with Taylor and Gargano looking particularly good. Younger, however, for some unknown reason, thinks he has to bleed here. I wouldn't ever want to see Younger on my Paid-Per-View screen, I know that.

The PPV portio of the show is headlined by Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino vs. CIMA & Ricochet, who was hand-selected as CIMA's partner in an earlier backstage segment. The bout marks Ricochet's induction into Warriors International and his elevation to the top of DGUSA roster and it has to be said that he fits very well. Of course, he is surrounded by world class wrestlers too, and the result is a rather spiffing tag offering. The bout builds well with "Speed Muscle" working over the inexperienced member of their opponents, before a genuinely thrilling climax.

The DVD version concludes with reigning WWE United States Champion Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson taking on YAMATO in a showcase singles bout. In many ways, this is similar to all of Danielson's guest matches during his brief mid-2010 independent run, where he starts slowly and teases all of the signature spots the fans are dying to see him perform again, then the pace increases and the intensity grows as they go. By the end, the swift advantage changes and false-finishes have you gripped. YAMATO keeps up his end of the deal, making for one of those matches you just sit back and thoroughly enjoy, taking in all of the intricacies and details of their character and their work. Fantastic, thoroughly absorbing pro wrestling.

Extras on the DVD include a worthless Arik Cannon vs. Kyle O'Reilly dark match, an extensive highlight package from the show and a feature piece on Jimmy Jacobs. Poor lighting and camera work, together with poorly produced video packages and awful backstage skits knock several points off when it comes to overall shine, but the majority of action on the show itself is close to top notch. This is one of the better DGUSA PPVs since the first 3, and the addition of the Danielson/YAMATO main makes this a pretty damn great DVD. Highly recommended.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

BxB Hulk{W, EVO} beat Akira Tozawa{L} and Mike Quackenbush in a 3-way

Brodie Lee beat Da Soul Touchaz with the Truck Stop in a 2-on-1 handicap match

SHINGO beat Dragon Kid with Last Falconry

Jon Moxley beat Jimmy Jacobs in a Chicago Streetfight, wrapping Jacobs' head in a coat with a chain, then hitting him with a chair

Chuck Taylor{W, Awful Waffle} beat Rich Swann, Drake Younger{L} and Johnny Gargano in a Fourway Freestyle

CIMA & Ricochet{W, double-rotation moonsault} beat Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi{L}

Bryan Danielson beat YAMATO by submission to the LeBell Lock

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Next up: DGUSA 'Freedom Fight 2010'.... or EVOLVE 6. Dunno.

Archived