Dragon Gate USA & EVOLVE Discussion/News/Review Thread

Big Benny HG

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tonight's Evolve card looks fantastic might have to give it a stream.

Low Ki Vs Generico

Callihan Vs Finlay

Gargano Vs AR Fox

All looks set to be great matches for completely different reasons.

I kinda wish it was Finlay vs Generico instead, that could be amazing. Still, the top two matches are still liable to be great.

• Paid Members

Gabe's announced that AR Fox and Scott Reed didn't make it over the border into Canada for tonight.

Super Smash Brothers will now face a team that will be part of Chuck Taylor's new stable, while Gargano's opponent is yet to be sorted out.

• Paid Members

Did anyone watch E11 in the end? I've read results, the three key matches sound really good. I tried to spoiler tag limited results, but my phone wasn't having any of it.

• Paid Members

EVOLVE 11 Results

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Chuck Taylor's mystery team is Drew Gulak and Jake Manning, who are calling themselves the Gentleman's Club

SSB over Gentleman's Club with the SSB's Gory Special/ Cutter finish on Gulak

Josh Alexander over MK McKinnan with iger Driver

Alex Reynolds over John Silver

Chuck Taylor over Sumuray Del Sol and Johnny Gargano - Taylor gets both eliminations, lastly making Gargano pass out in the single leg crab

Caleb Konley submits Adam Page with a liontamer

Lo-Ki over El Generico with top rope double stomp.

Finlay over Callihan with a cross arm breaker.

- After their match Lo-Ki apparently said "You know, Generico... you're not really as good as you think you are." Now there's a legit reason for Dingbat to dust off his pot kettle black jpeg. Apparently Lo-Ki also made a bit of a fool of himself by throwing in a ridiculous MMA spot at one point, and also got his own entrance music (For the uninitiated, EVOLVE guys all come out to generic music, no-one has entrance themes.... except Lo-Ki.)

- Finlay split Callihan open with a headbutt early on. That's the third straight job Callihan has done in EVOLVE. Which doesn't particularly bother me, but seems a bit odd as they're trying to build the company around the guy.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Just finished it and it is by far the weakest EVOLVE show I have seen to date. Nothing other than the three way in the first half going out of your way to see. MK looked decent, but nowhere near as good as he does in his home environment in FCP and unfortunately the most memorable moment of his match was a pretty bad botch on his behalf. Out of all the people making their EVOLVE debuts on this show in the first half (and the second with the one notable exception) none of them stood out in any way what so ever. Now I was at the very first EVOLVE show and it was my first time seeing a lot of the guys on that show, but the majority had something about them and you looked at a few and you could see where the company was going, and where the future of the Indies may lie with guys like O'Reilly, Ricochet, Gargano, TJP, Fish, etc. But on this show a lot of the guys were from the local area and that's why they were there to fill the card out.

In fact I'd only call three people on this show EVOLVE mainstays and they're Gargano, Taylor and Callihan.

The top two matches did deliver, although I am getting fed up of Low Ki. This time last year he was working PWG and some other smaller American promotions like JAPW where I got to witness him have an amazing match against Sami Callihan, and we were all wondering if/when he would join ROH or DG USA. Now Low Ki is in DG USA/EVOLVE and within five shows everythings about him. He dangerously knocked a guy out in his EVOLVE debut. He knocked off the former DG USA Champ in his DG USA debut, went undefeated entirely Mania weekend and put himself over by wanting an EVOLVE Title to be created (and we all know who's gonna get that....). And while I did really like the Generico match, and it was verging on as great as a match between these two is surely going to be..... There was absolutely no doubt what so ever that Ki was winning so it just didn't suck me in the way I would expect from a Generico underdog story match. That's probably more me and how I'm feeling on Ki right now, but yeah I was fucking raging with that post match remark.....

And Callihan/Finlay was really good and the war you'd expect from them. Finlay busted Callihan open hardway with a headbutt in the first minute and a half...... That's why when a drunken Fit Finlay calls you a pussy, you make sure you do not argue it, and just agree very quickly.

• Paid Members

I didn't see the show (hell, I'm still ctahcing up with Chikara/ DGUSA from 2011), but you're right - you can't really suspend disbelief during a Lo-Ki match, as you know who's going over before the bell even rings. Some guy reviewing the show also made the point that whoever wrestles Lo-kI basically has to wrestle Lo-Ki's match. Shame, as he's a hell of a talent; but his shitty attitude has gotten him kicked out of just about every company he's ever worked for. Having kicked Lo-Ki out of ROH twice I was quite suprised Gabe hired him for DG:USA...but then, Gabe knows best.... :rolleyes:

Just re-read what I wrote and I wanna clarify that the three way is the only thing from the first half worth going out of your way to see, and even then you won't miss any sleep if you don't bother. Even the main event didn't feel like essential viewing when compared to the original match, but at least on it's own merits it's still a very good match.

I do wonder what DG USA is playing out. They've confirmed shows the last weekend of July....... But we don't know where yet.

• Paid Members

That's the trouble with DG:USA - because they tend to run infrequent clusters of shows, you can't really get into it storyline-wise as you can say ROH/ Chikara. I know they can't really do it any other way due to having to fly the DG guys in, but still

• Paid Members
I didn't see the show (hell, I'm still ctahcing up with Chikara/ DGUSA from 2011), but you're right - you can't really suspend disbelief during a Lo-Ki match, as you know who's going over before the bell even rings. Some guy reviewing the show also made the point that whoever wrestles Lo-kI basically has to wrestle Lo-Ki's match. Shame, as he's a hell of a talent; but his shitty attitude has gotten him kicked out of just about every company he's ever worked for. Having kicked Lo-Ki out of ROH twice I was quite suprised Gabe hired him for DG:USA...but then, Gabe knows best.... :rolleyes:

I don't blame Gabe for giving Ki this run - if there's one thing he desperately needs for EVOLVE when the Dragon Gate guys aren't around, it's main event talent. Even DGUSA has a clear divide between the top few non-DG names and the filler guys who are never going to be main event caliber.

I'm not well versed in Dragon Gate, so for anyone who saw his Miami match with Sami Callihan, can anyone let me know if that was a good performance from bxb Hulk? I'm not sure if I've ever seen him in a singles match before, and I thought he was dreadful, but most of the crowd seemed to like it. Sami was really good in it, mind you.

Archived