Dragon Gate USA & EVOLVE Discussion/News/Review Thread

Big Benny HG

FUCKING LOLOCAUST!!!

Dragon Gate USA has two shows this weekend. Ryo Saito and CIMA were the only actual Dragon Gate talents announced for said shows.

Saito pulled out a few days back with a legitimate injury.

Gabe Sapolsky posted this on his facebook:

Gabe Sapolsky

Important breaking news on my Twitter @bookitgabe

So he wants people to go look on his twitter feed? Must just be a match announcement or something right?

Gabe Sapolsky ‏@BookItGabe 1h

Got some bad news. CIMA can

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I have one match to watch before the Uprising 2012 DVD appears ;) , but here's the results of the show Gabe presented on ROH's 12th birthday...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

DGUSA "Revolt!" results

February 22, 2014

Queens, N.Y.

Est. Attendance: 300

Results submitted by Chris of PWPonderings.com

(1) Tim Donst beat Chris Dickinson on a reversal of a second Razor’s Edge attempt.

(2) Shine champion Ivelisse beat Su Yung with a Canadian Destroyer.

(3) Caleb Konley beat Yosuke Santa Maria.

(4) Gentlemen’s Club beat the Bravado Brothers via DQ. Former NFL linebacker Quinn Ojinnaka appeared to be the unnamed man who debuted tonight as The Bravado’s bodyguard. Ojinnaka has tried out for WWE in recent years.

(5) Rich Swann beat Anthony Nese.

(6) Mr. A beat Fire Ant and Shane Strickland in a three-way match.

(7) Evolve champion A.R. Fox beat Drew Gulak to retain the EVOLVE Title.

(8) DGUSA champion Johnny Gargano beat Trent Baretta to retain the DGUSA Title.

• Paid Members

I see Chris Hero won the EVOLVE title from AR Fox on Sunday evening. That's interesting, with Hero challenging Adam Cole for the ROH title on March 8th in Chicago Ridge.

Dragon Gate USA: Uprising 2012 - 3/11/12

Looking back, I see that Uprising 2011 was the last of the DGUSA cable PPV tapings, in the dim and distant past that was June 2011. I wonder if Big Benny HG remembers anything about it whatsoever...

When I picked up the DVD case for this one, I noticed that if you lay out the three DVD cases from the weekend, it says "Stronger Than The Storm" across them. A nice little touch from a promotion that needs all the motivation it can get. The middle show of the weekend, this one is from the regular CZW town that is Voorhees, NJ, which also hosted EVOLVE 17 just before this in DGUSA/EVOLVE chronology.

Arda Ocal is once again sitting in for Lenny Leonard on commentary, only this time he is joined by Bryce Remsburg, which significantly lightens the usually serious tone. Thumbs up for the most part, though at times it gets a bit silly. More on that shortly.

ACH vs EITA sees two up-and-comers who had strong positions on the previous show booted down into dark match, DVD bonus features territory. The early minutes feel like something from a warm-up match, but they get 12:16 total, which gives them time to show off what they can do satisfactorily in the end. Some impressive spots from both in the second half lead to some very close nearfalls, before ACH gets the win with a cradle DDT. Nice work, though there's less in attendance for this than the actual iPPV portion of the show.

There's about three rows of fans in attendance by the time the iPPV starts proper with Jigsaw & Fire Ant vs Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez. A cracking little tag bout this, as you'd expect with a CHIKARA duo in there, though I have to say I've liked the Cannon/Sanchez duo on these recent shows. There's enough in attendance to create a positive atmosphere, something that was sadly lacking for pretty much the entire Fearless show, which makes a big difference. Way too many spots to cover, this was fun, all-action stuff. Jigsaw pins Sanchez at the 11:33 mark after a double stomp Jig 'n' Tonic, which according to Bryce is called the "Incredible Peanut Butter Milkshake"(!). Oh, and the Scene attack the D.U.F. after the match. At least the Scene are in an angle now rather than a series of shitty matches with no meaning, I guess.

Akira Tozawa vs Samuray Del Sol seems like it should be higher up the card than second match, but I suppose they did both lose on the show prior. The low positioning on the card doesn't stop them from going all out, though, with Tozawa hitting Del Sol with a German suplex on the apron at one point. Del Sol has much better chemistry with Tozawa than he did with Sami Callihan the night before. Smooth exchanges aplenty then, before Tozawa hits the Straightjacket Geman suplex for the pin at 12:24. That gives him some momentum leading into the next night's 4-way Open The Freedom Gate title match.

Johnny Gargano vs Jon Davis in a non-title Anything Goes match is more of an angle than anything else, with Davis coming out in street clothes and cutting a promo saying Gargano wouldn't be there, and that Gargano would be forced to forfeit the title and quit. Gargano comes out with a referee and attacks, but Davis gets the better of him, the match starts officially, and Davis hits three increasingly stiff lariats and gets the pin in just 45 seconds. Davis sets up a table at ringside, looking to reprise the E17 angle, but the refs rush Gargano backstage. Rather than leaving it there, though, we stay with Davis, and as he finally goes to leave, Gargano jumps him again. Eventually, Gargano gets some revenge as he superkicks Davis off the apron through the table, though the leg collapses rather than the table breaking properly. Presumably there's another title match to come between these two at some point. Overall this was fairly decent, as the Davis push goes.

Ricochet & Rich Swann vs The Super Smash Brothers - Another big test here for the SSB after losing out on a tag title shot to Ryo Saito and Genki Horiguchi. On the other hand, the World-1 International duo of Ricochet & Rich Swann haven't quite found their Inner City Machine Guns mojo yet here, with Ricochet's cocky character still the storyline focus. I found this took a little while to get going, but then it also got given longer than I expected. The second half had some belting tag action, with the SSB getting the pin on Ricochet with the FATALITY! in 20:11. That brings AR Fox out to mock Ricochet for no longer being able to win the big match. I was more concerned with the SSB victory, personally. Go, Super Smash Bros! Very good match.

The Gentleman's Club (Chuck Taylor, Drew Gulak & Orange Cassidy) vs The Scene (Scott Reed & Caleb Konley) & Cheech Hernandez seems like a potentially disastrous mess on paper with ten people (nine people and a monster?) out there in total, but thankfully the whole thing turns out greater than the sum of its parts. Drew Gulak holds a big section of the middle of the match together, Orange Cassidy's spots amuse me more the more often I see them, while the story of Cheech getting a tryout with The Scene plays out pretty well. Cheech still acts like a face and impresses, but falls to Chuck Taylor and the Awful Waffle at 15:32 after falling out with Konley & Reed. This was daft in plenty of places, but always had something going on. It's fair to say I enjoyed it a great deal.

El Generico vs Sami Callihan - This is 2 out of 3 falls, and while they reference Callihan losing to Generico then flipping his lid at EVOLVE 13 leading to his suspension, the logic of making this 2 out of 3 doesn't quite follow. They have a bit of a stare-off to start, then suddenly switch to top gear, leading to Callihan getting a three count out of a cradle reversal series just inside the 1:20 mark. The quick nature of the first fall naturally leads to a reset, with Generico looking befuddled. I have to admit to struggling with the beginning of fall 2, with some uninspired brawling on the floor, and not getting sucked back in until Generico started selling a bad knee. Repeated attempts at a brainbuster continually fail due to the pain in the knee, so I did appreciate that when Generico finally hit the brainbuster, it earned him the equalising fall at 15:01. The deciding fall is the most intense, with Callihan attempting Generico's turnbuckle brainbuster again, and Generico surprising Callihan by turning his own Stretch Muffler on him. That in return leads to Generico's undoing, though, as Callihan finally forces him to tap to the Stretch Muffler at 20:36. A solid but far from great 2 out of 3 falls match overall.

Open The United Gate title match: CIMA & AR Fox vs Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito - A better outing for Horiguchi & Saito here in the main event than their contenders match against the Smash Bros the night before, but it's a bit sad that they're not over with the US crowd nearly as much as Horiguchi in particular has been here on previous appearances in the UK. The crowd are dead quiet for the majority of this match really, including the elastic band spot that was really over in Broxbourne for example. They do wake up for the insane sequences the champions use to retain, with Horiguchi being pinned by CIMA after Lo Mein Pain followed by Meteora at the 20:52 mark.

CIMA and Fox close the show with the usual, with Sami Callihan making a brief appearance as he faces CIMA the next night, and as it turns out will main event EVOLVE 18 in the same building against Fox the following month.

Overall - A really good card overall, though it's a bit depressing that the crowd die off towards the end. Alongside Untouchable 2012, I'd say this is one of the best of the "recent" releases. DVD run time is 2 hours, 45 minutes - and that's without the ACH vs EITA bonus match.

• Paid Members

Dragon Gate USA: Freedom Fight 2012 - 4/11/12

DGUSA closes out it's post-Hurricane Sandy triple shot from the NYWC Sportatorium in Deer Park, Long Island, NY. The intimacy of the venue means it's the least affected by the storm, and there's enough fans in to make some noise.

The previous year, the Freedom Fight show closed out the year for DGUSA, and had some big newsworthy moments with an Open The Freedom Gate title change and a six man hardcore rules bout, but 2012 is being closed out by EVOLVE 18, so this show does lack the climax of the year feel.

Also looking back at Freedom Fight 2011, that show opened with BJ Whitmer vs Brodie Lee. By the time I get to Freedom Fight 2012 on DVD, in real time one has been critically injured by Mike Bennett in ROH and the other was just in the best match of the WWE Elimination Chamber PPV. Go figure.

Jon Davis vs EITA kicks things off for Freedom Fight 2012, and it's safe to say that their time since hasn't been quite so noteworthy. EITA provides most of the entertainment here, but the story is Davis making comparatively easy work of EITA compared to Johnny Gargano on the Friday show. A powerbomb-German suplex-lariat combo gets him the pin at 6:15, presumably Three Seconds Around The World has been shelved as it's a babyface, crowd popping move.

The Scene vs Tony Nese & Papadon is noteworthy mostly for the strong performance of Nese in his first DGUSA appearance since June 2011, who gets good exchanges out of both Caleb Konley & Scott Reed. Marti Belle also appears here, to counteract Larry Dallas at ringside. The less said about that the better. Nese, who did get a push of sorts on the EVOLVE shows in Florida a few months prior, gets the pin on Konley with a 450 splash in 9:44. While I have been impressed by Nese in the past, I must say I didn't see that coming.

Arik Cannon vs ACH - There's all sorts of weird booking here. Cannon calls out his opponent ACH for their match after Cannon & Sami Callihan chase The Scene away, babyface style, after they laid out Marti Belle. That was a dreadful angle, by the way. ACH then comes out and plays his logical, up and coming high flyer role, but that leaves Cannon to wrestle like the heel in the match. As a result, no-one really gets anywhere before Cannon pins ACH with a brainbuster in 6:41.

Jigsaw & Fire Ant vs The Super Smash Brothers - After three decidedly average bouts to open the show, I was looking forward to this. There's a lot of comedy before the opening bell and in the first few minutes, which is fine, but I was waiting for this one to really kick on, and sadly it never quite happened. The finish lets things down badly, as Jigsaw fails miserably when he tries to break up the FATALITY! with something undetermined, and the SSB complete the move on Fire Ant for the pin at 14:30. A fun, but underwhelming bout.

Chuck Taylor vs Rich Swann - This has a No Disqualification stipulation, but is pretty pitiful as Grudge bouts go, as it lacks fire, lacks intensity, and lacks any real violence. Swann rushing Taylor at the start leads to five minutes of lame ringside brawling before a nasty looking DDT on the concrete by Taylor on Swann. That's about the best spot of the match in terms of drama. Swann eventually gets his big win with the standing 450 splash in 13:03. A lame payoff to the feud.

CIMA vs Sami Callihan - While there's no official Grudge element to this one, the early aggressiveness of both men towards each other makes it much more compelling than the previous bout, in what becomes a very engaging mat battle for the majority. The only thing letting it down is the element of predictability when it comes to the end, as despite being on a winning streak for the weekend, Callihan is never knocking off the Dream Gate champion here. Schwein, Meteora, and that's your lot at 15:00. Nevertheless, the card finally started to pick up some steam here.

El Generico & Samuray Del Sol vs Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito - It's great to have Generico and Del Sol teaming up again here, as despite the fact they had a very good series against each other, their bout as a unit against CIMA and AR Fox at Untouchable was even better. This one isn't on a par with that epic, but is a really good fifteen minutes and change, and the best of the three bouts of the Jimmys this weekend. Del Sol hits Horiguchi with the Rising Sun to end things with a win for the luchadors,

Open The Freedom Gate Championship Elimination Match: Johnny Gargano vs Akira Tozawa vs Ricochet vs AR Fox - Gargano faces three of his top challengers from 2012 here in one match to try and reach the one year mark as Freedom Gate champion. In other words, rather than ending the year with a climactic feud-ender, the substitute for the lack of compelling stories is multiple contenders and, due to the elimination stip, lots of in-ring time. That's not to say there are no stories going on, just that none of them are anywhere near ready for the main event of the last DGUSA show of the year. Gargano, of course, is mostly feuding with Jon Davis, who attacks Gargano again here during the ring introductions. Ricochet and Fox are feuding against each other, at least, though that one isn't exactly setting the world on fire. There's some stupid psychology given this is elimination rules, as Gargano looked set to be pinned by Ricochet in under five minutes following a shooting star press until Fox breaks it up. The highlight of the opening segment is a crazy dive sequence, but mostly we have to suffer Ricochet's inane overly cocky character until all the work on Fox's knee over the weekend finally pays off and he forces Fox to tap out to a Texas Cloverleaf at 18:31. We then reset things for the three-way part, which features more breaking up of pins until Tozawa and Gargano combine trademark moves on Ricochet and Tozawa pins him with one of his deadlift German suplexes at 25:43. Gargano then pretty much stops selling the bad back and the pace picks up for some top speed no-selling sequences between Tozawa and Gargano. Finally, the Gargano Escape sees Tozawa tap out at 30:29, and Johnny has overcome the odds and reached the one year mark as champ. Yay! Gargano gets a few minutes of in-ring time to close the show and complete the year, and that's 2012 done for DGUSA at least.

Overall - While the top three matches were at least watchable, the show to that point was something of a chore, and the main events don't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. So, even if you were thinking of watching these shows miles behind like I am, this one is pretty skippable. DVD run time is 2 hours, 47 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

...aaand, it's been confirmed that the WrestleMania weekend Dragon Gate USA event, usually their biggest of the year, will have ZERO Dragon Gate wrestlers on it. They do have Masato Tanaka from Zero-1/New Japan (and of ECW fame), but one of the main things they were supposed to have was the 'Mania weekend tradition of a Dragon Gate trios match.

More proof that we seem to have it pretty sweet with the annual DG:UK tours.

• Paid Members

I'll be at EVOLVE 28 on Thursday (Chris Hero defends the EVOLVE title vs Trent Baretta) but attendance at DGUSA on Friday night will depend completely on whether I enjoy EVOLVE as I don't currently have DGUSA tickets.

On a 2012 note, I finished EVOLVE 18 this morning, but the review won't be up now until I get back from New Orleans.

...aaand, it's been confirmed that the WrestleMania weekend Dragon Gate USA event, usually their biggest of the year, will have ZERO Dragon Gate wrestlers on it.

There's got to be more to this. You could put it happening once down to bad luck but 2 weekends of events with no Japanese DG talent on seems to indicate they might be pulling the plug on the deal with Gabe soon, I can't see them being happy for him to keep using the name when their roster isn't involved.

• Paid Members

Low Ki's retirement lasted longer than his last one. Interesting to see Kaz and Daniels working these shows.

With the Dragon Gate Japanese wrestlers off the show, Dragon Gate USA has announced these new cards for WrestleMania week at Tulane University's McAlister Fieldhouse:

4/4 at 8 p.m. local time, 9 p.m. Eastern

Johnny Gargano vs. Ricochet for Open the Freedom Gate title

Chris Hero vs. Masato Tanaka

Low Ki vs. Trent Baretta

Bravado Brothers vs. Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley

Chuck Taylor & Drew Gulak vs. Fire Ant & Green Ant

Rich Swann vs. Biff Busck

4/5 on 8 p.m. local time and 9 p.m. Eastern

Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian vs. ?

Johnny Gargano vs. Low Ki

Trios tournament

Ricochet & Rich Swann & AR Fox vs. Chris Hero & Roderick Strong & ?

Bravado Brothers & Moose vs. Fire Ant & Green Ant & Lince Dorado

Trent Baretta & Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley vs. The Gentleman's Club

Three-way with the winners

• Paid Members

Got back from EVOLVE 28 a little while ago.

Chris Hero defeated Trent Baretta with the Death Blow in 30:01 to retain the EVOLVE Championship in the main event. I was enjoying this despite slightly excessive length but the sports entertainment closing stretch (starting with a ref bump) surprised me. So much for the EVOLVE rules.

Ricochet pinning Tony Nese was best match on the show.

I'll type a proper review if/when I get my hands on a computer. The setup was very indie and I bet it sucked as an iPPV

Archived