Buffy the Vampire Slayer

DarloKid

• Paid Members
I really liked Dollhouse once it got going. first half of season 1 was awful and even whedon admit this. but once they get the proper story going and especially when alan tudyk turned up it was fine.

it shouldnt have really got a second season. i reckon they only got it because fox didnt want another firefly situation. the second season was bonkers. there's about three season worth of mateiral they try to cram into it. plus olivia williams is bloody lovely.

I think it only got another season because of the fan campaigns, Whedon agreeing to do it on a smaller budget, etc.

Dollhouse is probably the most frustrating show I've ever watched. It was almost like Whedon designed it so it start off so slow and boring that it would have no chance of getting renewed, and then get awesome so that his reputation wouldn't suffer from it. The fact that the second season followed the exact same pattern was absolutely idiotic.

Come to think of it, it's also frustrating in that it combined some absolutely fantastic acting performances (Victor, in particular, but Sierra, Topher and DuWitt were also great at times) with some of the worst I've ever seen (Ballard and his bird made Dushku look like a future Oscar Winner in comparison.)

Buffy was probably my all time favourite show before I discovered the Wire and Lost. The second half of Season 2 and Season 3 in particular are just brilliant.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It's quite overrated IMO. There were certainly episodes that were absolutely brilliant, but also an absolute barrage of crap. Too much angsty friendship/relationship stuff, too many similar storylines.

It's basic premise - physical transformation as metaphor for sexual awakening - had been done before not least by the antecedent film (which I really like) but also things like Near Dark and The Lost Boys.

I liked the film as well, and not just because of my overwhelming lust for Kristy Swanson. The cast was great and Whedon didn't have the time to arse around with it. It was good fun. It was the only thing of his, aside from the couple of Roseanne episodes he wrote, that I ever liked.

I've registered my dislike for Buffy and Whedon enough times in the past not to have to rake over old ground again. But I think what irritates me most about him and perhaps Buffy more specifically is that he is labelled as some kind of visionary and what-not when he's nothing of the sort. People still harp on about Once More With Feeling like it was some kind of earth-shatteringly original piece of telly. It wasn't. It was a good little idea reasonably well executed. That's all.

Plus he keeps putting Eliza Dushku in work and she's crap.

eliza-dushku-18.jpg

This could read from the phone book and still be interesting.

There is so much touching up in that picture that it could be practically any woman underneath. You realise you're lusting after a photoshop brush type essentially?

My penis does not agree.

• Paid Members
I didn't realise that there were still people who think Lost was good. You realise you're just telling yourself that because of the amount of time you wasted on it, right? Talk about your cognitive dissonance....

No sir.

I WAS guilty of doing that with the last season for a while but, even after accepting that was a shitty shitty end to the show, I still love the first five seasons.

• Paid Members
I didn't realise that there were still people who think Lost was good. You realise you're just telling yourself that because of the amount of time you wasted on it, right? Talk about your cognitive dissonance....

No sir.

I WAS guilty of doing that with the last season for a while but, even after accepting that was a shitty shitty end to the show, I still love the first five seasons.

The problem with lost was that you had about 4 episodes where fuck all happened, then you got an episode which had enough jaw dropping moments in it to drag you back in for the next 4 crappy episodes.

I must be the only person on the planet who understood and was happy with the finale. All made total sense to me.

• Awards Moderator

No sir.

The problem with lost was that you had about 4 episodes where fuck all happened, then you got an episode which had enough jaw dropping moments in it to drag you back in for the next 4 crappy episodes.

I must be the only person on the planet who understood and was happy with the finale. All made total sense to me.

I think that really only applied to Season 3 ("Jin Soo Kwon and the Series of Doom") which was stretched to buggery by eager studios. Seasons 4 - 6 were tight.

18 months distant from the end of it, it's still one of my favourite things ever. I still hate the twisting of the flash-sideways in the last season into some weird afterlifey thing as the beginning of the season clearly doesn't point that way at all, but the on-island finale was perfect.

On-topic, I think Buffy is fantastic too, particularly when it throws off the "monster of the week" shackles. I'm going back through Angel at the moment and dear God the first season was atrocious for this. Picks up mightily in S2 though.

Loki I'm amazed - :duh: <- see? - that you can admit to liking the car-crash of a film.

• Paid Members

I avoided Buffy for years, on the basis of it being obviously shit. Then I was forced by my then-partner to sit and watch a couple of choice scenes (Spike narrating Angel saving someone from on top of a building ("I understand. I have a cousin who's gay, so..""Say no more. Evil is still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair gel I love *so* much."), the musical episode, and Willow turning badass ("Bored now").) and had to admit I was wrong.

It has its dips, absolutely (season 4 in particular is lousy, and season 5 isn't much better, a handful of great episodes apart). I adore season 6. Almost every episode is right on the money.

Buffy is flawed, which is part of why I like her. But she's not the best female character - that's Anya, by a country mile, followed by Tara and Willow. And sure, every character speaks like Joss Whedon. But it's mostly fun, and it occasionally shocks. It also brought in a gay-positive relationship at a time it wasn't done often, and did experimental episodes well.

It wasn't groundbreaking, and it wasn't wonderful. But it was a hell of a lot of fun at times.

Honestly I can't be the only person who thinks that Willow's "magic junky" story was complete balls? it was like they took a bad moral of the week episode and made a season out of it.

The Trio were great, though I used to wonder how it would have turned out if they had managed to get the actor who played Tucker (who was apparently the original choice for the Trio's leader) to return.

The less said about Dawn the better.

S4's only real problem imo is that it lacks of a decent main story arc but some of the stand alone episodes are amongst the best on the series.

• 2 months later...

well the showing Buffy from season 1 all the way to the end (season 7) finished last week on SyFy. Have got to say what a show, i loved it one of me favourites . watching seasons 5,6 and 7 its hard to believe the show aired a good 10 years ago, it has aged really well,. Now i think once i get the cash am gonna buy all seasons of Angel and see if it can match buffy !

Archived