Buffy the Vampire Slayer

DarloKid

Have been watching Buffy since the Syfy channel started showing it from the very first season, they are currently up to season 5. I have to say am really enjoying it and wish i watched it in its original run all them years ago. I think the show was well before its time has it certainly is better then some of the stuff that is shown now a days, bar the first season and a couple of effects the show as aged really well and you can see how it has influenced many a tv show.

what got me to make this thread though was Joss whedon's great storytelling, and how way back in season 3 there was hints that buffy had a sister who wouldnt appear up until season 5. Also some individual episodes hush i think it is called which for most is in silence with no one talking was fantastic.

what is all your guys thoughts on the show ? am up to only season 5 episode 2 so anything after that could you put in spoilers !

cheers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's my favourite TV show of all time. I still watch every episode on a loop. Been doing it for years. I still don't get bored.

Season 6 is probably my favourite thanks to...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The Trio.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Loads of brilliant characters as well. Spike is absolutely brilliant as is Xander. The main baddies are always fun as well. The Mayor being the obvious highlight.

I always thought Riley Finn was an overlooked character as well.

Love it, love it, love it.

• Paid Members

Season 5 was king. Would have been a good place to end it aswell. I shed a tear watching Buffy snuff it, even though she's one of the most loathsome lead characters in TV history.

Xander's is the king of that show, the beating heart. Deep down, we all have a bit of Xander in us.

Season 6 finale is probably my high point, watching Willow go bad ass after so much build up was tremendous. And Giles' return was superb. An awesom end to a thouroughly depressing season, it must be said.

Other high points were Angel's heel turn, Spike's redemption in Season 7, Dawn's appearance from no where and Xander's realtionship with Anya.

Angel spin off was also brilliant, but suffered towards the end. Still not sure what to make of the Season 5 finale. Part of me think's it's brave and perfect, and the other part wants to see them battle it out.

• Paid Members

Probably my favourite TV show outside of The Sopranos. I think I've watched the box sets either 5 or 6 times now and it doesn't get old. I'd probably say series' 3 and 5 were my favourites, 3 probably winning because of an abundance of bad Faith ( :love: ), and the best villain in the mayor.

• Paid Members

Started watching buffy 3 years into the run. The trailer they showed on Sky made it look piss poor. How wrong I was. Luckily, a friend had taped every episode, so I spent a good coipel of weekends catching up. Storytelling bliss.

It's quite overrated IMO. There were certainly episodes that were absolutely brilliant, but also an absolute barrage of crap. Too much angsty friendship/relationship stuff, too many similar storylines.

It's basic premise - physical transformation as metaphor for sexual awakening - had been done before not least by the antecedent film (which I really like) but also things like Near Dark and The Lost Boys. Also, there seems to be a movement to credit Whedon with the concept of the multi-season or season story arc, which is now de riguer for major US dramas. Crap - Babylon 5 got there years before, and the X Files retconned the feature into its mythology after the success of B5.

I'm up and down on Whedon. I really enjoyed Firefly, but I understand why it was cancelled. There's a camp streak in his work a mile long, which tends to seriously undermine his series to the point that many people don't take them seriously. One episode a series of camp/ironic jokey storyline please, no more.

I seem to be going against the grain in that I pretty much hate Season 5, other than the couple of episodes that focused heavily on Spike. The shoehorning in of the sister and the death of her mother just seemed too jarring against what I enjoyed from the show, plus Glory/Ben was very 'blah' as a lead villain in comparison to previous ones like the Mayor, Angel and Spike.

Other than that, I'm a big fan of the show. Sarah Michelle Gellar was my teenage crush, although I find Angel, Spike and Giles to be much more interesting characters on the whole.

I'd have to say that the second and third series' are my favourites. They were a staple of my friday night viewing back in the late 90s, with Buffy on Sky One as the immediate lead-in to Nitro and RAW.

• Paid Members
It's quite overrated IMO. There were certainly episodes that were absolutely brilliant, but also an absolute barrage of crap. Too much angsty friendship/relationship stuff, too many similar storylines.

It's basic premise - physical transformation as metaphor for sexual awakening - had been done before not least by the antecedent film (which I really like) but also things like Near Dark and The Lost Boys.

I liked the film as well, and not just because of my overwhelming lust for Kristy Swanson. The cast was great and Whedon didn't have the time to arse around with it. It was good fun. It was the only thing of his, aside from the couple of Roseanne episodes he wrote, that I ever liked.

I've registered my dislike for Buffy and Whedon enough times in the past not to have to rake over old ground again. But I think what irritates me most about him and perhaps Buffy more specifically is that he is labelled as some kind of visionary and what-not when he's nothing of the sort. People still harp on about Once More With Feeling like it was some kind of earth-shatteringly original piece of telly. It wasn't. It was a good little idea reasonably well executed. That's all.

Plus he keeps putting Eliza Dushku in work and she's crap.

Archived