They say you should never meet your heroes...

L_E_T_H_A_L

Really disappointed to hear that somebody had a negative experience with Paul McStay. The Maestro was one of my first footballing heroes and this is the first I've heard of him being a dick to someone (having met him myself, not saying it didn't happen though).

Can anyone explain if and why Mick Foley has had a massive change in character? I've heard several people say he is a massive cunt in recent years. I don't know if it was my youthful, naive outlook but I always had him down as a great guy from what I'd read in Have A Nice Day and from what I'd seen in Beyond the Mat.

I personally thought McStay was a class act and I only ever had great experiences with him. I remember meeting him at the entrance at Parkhead after the Scottish Cup win in '95 (I was ten), and he signed my shirt, took pictures and everything else. That's why I was stunned and disappointed when I heard he told a friend to "Fuck off."

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but someone on here actually had Mick Foley crashing at their house during a UK visit, which was an unpleasant experience - and Foley didn't remember his host when he came back on another visit later in the year.

I dont care how many people you meet, if you crash at their house you'd surely remember them.

I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but someone on here actually had Mick Foley crashing at their house during a UK visit, which was an unpleasant experience - and Foley didn't remember his host when he came back on another visit later in the year.

I dont care how many people you meet, if you crash at their house you'd surely remember them.

My thoughts exactly. He either didn't remember the guy or didn't acknowledge the bloke. Either way, it was a shitty way to behave.

I won't elaborate on that until the story is confirmed (and hopefully expanded upon) by the person in question, as I don't remember the details.

My thoughts exactly. He either didn't remember the guy or didn't acknowledge the bloke. Either way, it was a shitty way to behave.

I won't elaborate on that until the story is confirmed (and hopefully expanded upon) by the person in question, as I don't remember the details.

I'm fairly certain that it was Madman Patrick Kelly (aka UK Wrestler Ruffneck) although I am sure he will clarify that soon enough as he posts on here a fair bit.

• Paid Members

Wasn't it PatrickMadManKelly or something like that who's house Foley stayed at? Might have got the name a bit wrong but I'm pretty sure it was him. Someone here will know.

I've met a lot of well known wrestlers to be fair, and the only one that stood out as being a bit of a cunt was Mick Foley. I was massively disappointed, as I was a proper mark for him until that moment.

I've met a few others that were pretty miserable and looked like they didn't really want to be there (Chris Daniels, Greg Valentine), but none that I admired as much as Foley, so it didn't bother me much.

To be fair Valentine might have been over the moon but you'd never know. He always looks like someone's just shat in his Bovril.

EDIT - Fat Boy's beat me to it, knew I'd got the name wrong

• Paid Members

I've met a few people at meet and greets and such and the only ones who weren't to pleasant were Rhino who looked like I'd just dropped one before asking him for an autograph, JJ who didn't stop talking to Scott Steiner the whole time load of people met him and Alex Shelly was just seemed a right arrogant cunt.

Virgil tried to sell me some overpriced merch once.

From the wrestlers i've met i'd say Samoa Joe was byfar the coolest.

The man is clearly not up himself and seemed as if he would've continued the conversation had i not had to leave.

Also Rey Mysterio & CM Punk in 2008 who were fantastic with my then 5 year old brother.

I'd agree with others ala Foley, he wasn't outright rude just seemed he'd rather be elsewhere... same goes for Beer Money (Roode in particular)

I've said it before and i'll repeat it here the worst meeting i've had with a Wrestling personality is when i met Earl Hebner, very arrogant rude little man who seems to take alot of credit for not much

Met a few a various meet and greets, I remember Kurt Angle being very patient in a packed hmv in London while my mate took a pic of us. Also one that stands out in my mind was meeting Chris Benoit at a Pre WM20 event, not because of the obvious but because he was such a nice guy.

I am shocked and stunned at Paul McStay! :omg:

He is some sort of distant relative of my family. Think his wife is second cousins with someone on my mums side. I got his autograph loads of times. Used to bump into him in William Lows now and again.

I am shocked and stunned at Paul McStay! :omg:

He is some sort of distant relative of my family. Think his wife is second cousins with someone on my mums side. I got his autograph loads of times. Used to bump into him in William Lows now and again.

Ha! I'm actually named after Paul McStay believe it or not. I saw him outside of Costa Coffee on Sauchiehall Street one morning a couple of years back and said awryt to him and he said awryt back, seemed okay to me!

Wrestlers I've met as a fan

Christian

Steve Corino

Raven

2 Cold Scorpio (very cool)

D'Lo Brown (easily the most sound of all)

AJ Styles

Mick Foley (twice, the first time I was a little disappointed, second time was much better)

Shannon Moore

The Sandman

Juventud Guerrera

Bryan Danielson

Elix Skipper

Wrestlers I've met as part of GPW

Christopher Daniels (cool but then this was a training session)

Jerry Lynn

Tyson Kidd (well back when he was TJ Wilson)

Gangrel

Tracey Smothers

Paul Burchill

Colt Cabana

• Paid Members

I'm fairly certain that it was Madman Patrick Kelly (aka UK Wrestler Ruffneck) although I am sure he will clarify that soon enough as he posts on here a fair bit.

I remembered it briefly being mentioned here - the post near the bottom of the page regarding Mick and the petrol station still leaves me lost for words.

Wrestlers I've met as a fan

Christian

Steve Corino

Raven

2 Cold Scorpio (very cool)

D'Lo Brown (easily the most sound of all)

AJ Styles

Mick Foley (twice, the first time I was a little disappointed, second time was much better)

Shannon Moore

The Sandman

Juventud Guerrera

Bryan Danielson

Elix Skipper

etc etc

Several guys I've met here too and generally agree with your opinions on them:

Steve Corino (Sound enough guy. Professional and ethusiastic.)

Raven (Came across as a bit rude and has a MASSIVE positive opinion about himself. Loves telling people his IQ score.)

2 Cold Scorpio (Very cool bloke. Had a nice chat about his career and why the Funkettes got fired from WWE.)

D'Lo Brown (Agreed, most sound around. Went up to him and told him he was the dog bollocks, and had a nice chat about his favourite matches in his career.)

AJ Styles (Awesome guy.)

Mick Foley (Not a good first impression. Bill Apter brought him into the locker room and announced "Who wants to buy the legendary Mick Foley lunch?")

Shannon Moore (Nice enough guy. Seemed quite humble and but a little withdrawn.)

The Sandman (Great bloke. Pay him a compliment and he will humbly accept it.)

Juventud Guerrera (Very out going and "fun" chap. Made himself very much one of the lads.)

Bryan Danielson (Pleasant chap. Professional.)

Christopher Daniels (Came across as professional, down to earth and liking his fans. )

Jerry Lynn (First major star I met. I was a bit star struck but the guy was very patient and professional. Nice guy.)

Paul Burchill (I always thought he was the nicest bloke in the world during his FWA tenure.)

Colt Cabana (Slight nob head tbh).

But the nicest bloke I ever met was Chris Hero. After having my knee badly banged up (during a ref spot), the guy comes up to me and gives me the loveliest hug. Bless em. All promoters should book him, really great guy.

• Paid Members
Steve Corino (Sound enough guy. Professional and ethusiastic.)

Raven (Came across as a bit rude and has a MASSIVE positive opinion about himself. Loves telling people his IQ score.)

2 Cold Scorpio (Very cool bloke. Had a nice chat about his career and why the Funkettes got fired from WWE.)

D'Lo Brown (Agreed, most sound around. Went up to him and told him he was the dog bollocks, and had a nice chat about his favourite matches in his career.)

AJ Styles (Awesome guy.)

Mick Foley (Not a good first impression. Bill Apter brought him into the locker room and announced "Who wants to buy the legendary Mick Foley lunch?")

Shannon Moore (Nice enough guy. Seemed quite humble and but a little withdrawn.)

The Sandman (Great bloke. Pay him a compliment and he will humbly accept it.)

Juventud Guerrera (Very out going and "fun" chap. Made himself very much one of the lads.)

Bryan Danielson (Pleasant chap. Professional.)

Christopher Daniels (Came across as professional, down to earth and liking his fans. )

Jerry Lynn (First major star I met. I was a bit star struck but the guy was very patient and professional. Nice guy.)

Paul Burchill (I always thought he was the nicest bloke in the world during his FWA tenure.)

Colt Cabana (Slight nob head tbh).

Apart from Juvi (who you dont hear many good things about), thats what I've read about all of those. Especially Raven. In fact, MVP sparked him out at a TNA show a few years ago when he told him to get out of his seat. Raven had this aura for years, that he deserved more than he got and he was the smartest man in the business and all that. His reputation seems to have fallen off a cliff in the last couple of years. He hasnt stood the test of time at all.

Archived