They say you should never meet your heroes...

L_E_T_H_A_L

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have met a fair few wrestlers, although not for a few years now. The guys that stood out as really nice blokes would be Samoa Joe (had a good five minute chat with me, sound as a pound), Nathan Jones (chatted to me about his upcoming WWE debut at the time), Johnny Storm and Earthquake (a couple of TNA guys were nice as well- Consequences Creed and someone else whose name escapes me). Chris Sabin and Dixie Carter were also sound. CM Punk, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels firmly fall into the probably nice but rushed camp. Dudley Boys, Earl Hebner and Raven had looks that could absolutely kill.

As for the cunts...

Number One: Mick Foley (x2)- As has been noted by the majority on here, he was only there to sell his stuff. I really shouldn't have been there (TWC signing event before International Showdown) as I was about 14 at this point, but I was under the impression that nobody was charging for photos, signatures. Nobody did- apart from Foley. I was accompanied by my Mum at the time (sad I know) and she paid for the autograph and photo (

The good:

Ultimo Dragon - The picture I have with him, he looks happier than I do, which is great.

Shark Boy - really chatty

Goldust - first time I met him he was a dick, but that was probably in one of his drug/desperate for money phases, but when I met him again earlier this year he was like a totally different person.

Bushwacker Luke - really talky, asked me about where I was from and all that, then when my pic came out rubbish I went back a few minutes later and asked if I could have another, a lot would say no, he was cool though.

Paul Bearer - seemed to prefer chatting with his fans over staying in character, despite being all dressed up and in a funeral parlour/graveyard setting. I liked that.

William Regal - I was annoyed with the length of the que and how slowly it was moving - the reason though was because Regal was so friendly and chatty to every single person he met, which can't be easy. Naturally telling him I was English - in case he didn't know from my accent, interested him.

Ricardo Rodriguez - seemed so humbled that people actually cared enough about him to want his autograph

Jeremy Borash - don't think I've met many nicer friendlier people than him in any walk of life - but he was selling stuff, so you never know.

Booker T - seemed so excited and happy to meet his fans, answered all my silly questions even though there was a massive que.

The Sandman - I've met him 4 times, each totally different environments, each with totally different results. At Universal Uproar, behaved like he didn't give a shit and could barely move to sign an autograph. At WWE 18 months later, he came out the back of the arena and signed stuff for everyone who was there for 20 or 30 mintues, then when people starting a "thank you Sandman" chant, he stopped everyone and then gave a "no thank you" speech that lasted another 5 minutes or so.

Jeff Jarrett - the poor guy was clearly in a rush, but still stopped what he was doing to pose for a photo.

Honky Tonk Man, Blue Meanie, Ulf Herman, Daniel Bryan, Rob Van Dam, David Flair, CM Punk, Gangrel, DJ Gabriel, Alicia Fox, Simon Dean, Cassandro, Chris Masters, Dudley Boyz, Mark Henry, Scott Stanford, Christian

The bad:

Super Dragon

Shannon Moore - took my money, posed for a photo, didn't say a word though. The pic shows he clearly made an effort for the photo, but a "hi how are you doing?" doesn't take much.

JTG - at the time he should have just been happy to have a job, let alone be considered worthy enough to sign autographs for at a signing. People que for 20-30 minutes the least you can do is look at them. Dick.

Justin Gabriel - seemed to have more important things to be getting on with.

And loads inbetween. The good outweighs the bad, which is good!

Scott Hall - Met him at the same show as Tommy did, easily the nicest wrestler I've met, chatted for a good ten minutes as well before we got asked by the security people to move on, same thing happened when I went for the photo shoot with him later on. He told some brilliant stories too.

Ted Dibiase - Miserable at the signing table, more interested in talking about his boring as sin son, was more friendly at the photo shoot which just about made up for earlier in the day.

Chris Jericho - Met him after a Fozzy gig in 2005, shortly after he'd left the WWE. He was polite and chatty and was pleased at the turnout I think, didn't talk much wrestling. I couldn't believe how short he was either, did the classic Y2J pose with his back to us as he finished signing everything and was walking away.

Dawn Marie - Pleasant, easy to talk to and a fantastic set of tits, not much more to say.

Sunny - See above.

Virgil - Absolutely awful, would be right at home at a car boot sale on a Sunday morning. Managed to make my girlfriend feel guilty about the fact he had no one at his table, so much so she gave him a tenner for a signed photo. Tragic bloke.

Cracking thread this. Also interesting to see the same names come up again both for the good and the bad, i'd always be cautious and give folks the benefit of the doubt based on one bad experience but if it's coming up two or three times then there is probably something in it.

With that being said L_E_T_H_A_L there must have been something severely out of joint with that story on McStay for him to react like that. I've met him twice, profesionally with Celtic when they played Dunfermline and also socially in passing at a function and although both times were only briefly in passing he was an absolute gentleman. It's actually a little funny this popped up as with all the stuff about Gary Speed recently and the tributes to him i said to my friend earlier i'd consider him in the same bracket as McStay in terms of being the ultimate professional.

On with the wrestlers........

Had the pleasure of meeting the WWE roster five or six years ago now when they were touring the UK and flying out of Scotland after their last show. Ironically enough i wasn't really fussed upon seeing anyone in particular with the exception of Ric Flair who is/was the man for me growing up in terms of wrestling. As it turned out i didn't get so much as a hello more of a nodding acknowledgement which probably reiterates the "Never meet your heroes" tag on the title. Gutted i was to be honest. However it wasn't as stinging as it could have been due to vast majority of his colleagues being absolutely spot on and softened the blow !!

Everyone was polite, some were engaging and others just went through the motions. Different strokes for different folks and i was very conscious of the fact they'd been touring in a foreign country for near enough two weeks and eager to get home so the last thing probably wanted was to be bombarded with stupid questions or someone sticking a bit of paper in front of them to be signed as if it was an obligation. I also think sometimes famous people chose to give off a "hint" so not to be put in a position to offend. Whether it be pretending to look at a bit of paper, sending an imaginery text or fidgeting with the zip on a bag i reckon they give you a vibe that they don't want to be hassled so, in short, you just accept it and leave them to it.

But the ones who were engaging and actually spoke back made the chat with me as opposed to the other way around will leave an imprint on me for the rest of my life; thats my way of looking at it anyways.

Ricky Steamboat - absolute gentleman, chatted about the WCW days and the matches with Flair, said he appreciated the kind words and had a little moan about the weather in the UK and not being able to get in as much golf as he would have liked. Small talk indeed but quality small talk !

HHH - was polite but not too chatty, said he was tired and looking forward to getting home. Was happy to leave it at that but then said if i wanted a photo it wasn't a problem which was a nice touch.

HBK - same as HHH but said less

RVD - a class act, stood and chatted about ECW and the old days of my friend and i watching it at silly o'clock on Bravo back in the day which he seemed genuinely interested about and ended up shouting over an old colleague to share the stories with (who i otherwise wouldn't have dared speak to)

Sabu - it was indeed he, again quite a quiet chap but he kept saying "cool, yeah" in a Beavis & Butthead stlye of way. Both him and RVD made us strike a pose for the picture which, looking back, is brilliant for memories if a little cringeworth. Best thing with him is it was done outside the airport pharmacy and it makes Sabu look like a character from Theme Hospital with the green health cross over his head !!

Cena - probably the nicest of the bunch, engaged in a chat for ages and asked me about how long i'd watched what i did for a living and all that sorta stuff. Couldn't have been nicer and he really deserves every success he gets for the groundwork he puts in for this sort of stuff. Kudods to him!

Jeff Hardy - very chatty and funny, he was absolutely wired though which was funny at the time but looking back now with his recent troubles maybe not so funny.

Undertaker - everything you could probably imagine. What a presence and an aura about him. Didn't say much but was gracious in offering a photo and offered me his hand as he set off which i thought was a classy touch.

Met a few more but those were the highlights, someone earlier asked for pics so the better ones as mentioned above with the 'poses' :rolleyes:

7519_164458644029_663344029_2721770_5212359_n.jpg

7519_164458654029_663344029_2721771_6944901_n.jpg

7519_164458674029_663344029_2721773_7010415_n.jpg

Sandman is awsome. When he was over for the Universal Uproar show he did a gig in Wales the day before (the show was awful) but for the entire time the fans were queing outsite Sandman hung with everybody outside (pissed I'll add) and started talking about all sorts of stuff like how he discovered he could wank, that followed by being caught my his "mom" for the first time wanking. He loves to wank it seems. He then layed down in the middle of the road blocking the traffic on a busy Newport friday rush hour. Foley then walked past ignoring anybody who wanted a picture go visit the chippy across the road.

Carlito is a prick.

• Paid Members

I've never seen a pic of the Undertaker with a fan before, well done!

I've met a bunch of wrestlers but one guy who no one else mentioned as far as I'm aware is Brock Lesnar, I clocked him and I knew he could tell I knew who he was and wanted to approach him but he looked like a bastard so I thought it wasn't worth the bother. I saw him again a bit later and thought fuck it, I caught him off guard so it was no more bother for him to be ok than a cunt and he posed for a photo with me, he was really softly spoken and polite enough but you could tell he'd have been happier if I hadn't bothered him. He was massive, I'm a big guy and I looked like nothing next to him.

Samoa Joe is indeed insanely nice, treats you like his best friend.

Perry Saturn- I was about 12 at the time (WWA in Brighton), I was absolutely star struck. I made him a moppy and he basically gave me a look that could kill and stormed off.

you poor bugger, that's rough. I read about Menry shouting "Fuck Off!" in a kid's face once after the kid asked him for an autograph in a restaurant. I alternate between thinking that's tragic and hilarious in my mind.

I forgot that I met Rob Van Dam at a Memorabilia show a few years ago, and he had no queue, so I ended up chatting to him for about 10 minutes abotu wrestling and comic books. A very nice guy.

I've met a lot of female wrestlers too, but I should point out Serena Deeb as being utterly awesome. Friendly, humble and when you talk to her, you can tell her focus is on you. A great woman.

Sandman is awsome. When he was over for the Universal Uproar show he did a gig in Wales the day before (the show was awful) but for the entire time the fans were queing outsite Sandman hung with everybody outside (pissed I'll add) and started talking about all sorts of stuff like how he discovered he could wank, that followed by being caught my his "mom" for the first time wanking. He loves to wank it seems. He then layed down in the middle of the road blocking the traffic on a busy Newport friday rush hour. Foley then walked past ignoring anybody who wanted a picture go visit the chippy across the road.

Sandman was ace at the 1PW Q+A - he was on a panel with Low-Ki, AJ Styles and a bunch of others. He totally hijacked it and wandered around the room, pissed as a fart, telling us a variety of stories. I thought it was brilliant but it looked like Low-Ki wanted to drop him!

Archived