They say you should never meet your heroes...

L_E_T_H_A_L

I thought of this topic after I was told by a friend that, upon spotting former Celtic captain, Scotland legend and all-round good egg Paul McStay at the airport recently, she approached him for an autograph for her son and was told to "Fuck off." I was stunned to hear of someone I've always thought so highly of acting like such a cunt towards the fans he's always spoken so highly of.

So, that got me to thinking about wrestlers. I recall many people here being disappointed after meeting Mick Foley. I was one of the ones who met him at a book signing as a teenager and found him quite cold, disinterested and money-minded (didn't even raise his head to look at us). Because of that, I had a distaste for his work from that point, and when he started using Twitter, I had a few blasts at him for that reason. I didn't expect a response, but was stunned when I received a PM from Foley, apologising for his conduct and explaining himself by saying he'd probably met hundreds of people and had to go through hundreds more, and was sorry if he seemed so disinterested.

So, you ever caught a wrestler at a bad moment? Or, did you find them to be class acts?

Discuss...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never met a wrestler who I've felt was rude, that's for sure. They may have been under the weather or suffering from jet-lag which is understandable, but they've never been pricks or anything.

I met Punk when he was just getting started in WWE when they were in Glasgow and he was cool as fuck. Sitting with me & a few mates having a (non-alcoholic) drink and a bit of a chat.

He may be different now though...

• Paid Members

I've met a lot of well known wrestlers to be fair, and the only one that stood out as being a bit of a cunt was Mick Foley. I was massively disappointed, as I was a proper mark for him until that moment.

I've met a few others that were pretty miserable and looked like they didn't really want to be there (Chris Daniels, Greg Valentine), but none that I admired as much as Foley, so it didn't bother me much.

When was this and why was he a cunt?

WWA in Birmingham 200..... and I want to say 2, but Im open to correction. I asked him to sign my ticket and program, he ignored me then sat on the front seat of the bus staring daggers at me for about ten minutes til I eventually got bored of pretending his existed and went to talk to Nathan Jones.... who was lovely, and a giant.

• Paid Members

To be fair, that was during the period where he was admittedly a pilled up mess. He's since admitted he was a arrogant prick. He's supposed to be one of the nicest blokes in the world now. WWE's even taken him in with open arms. You can tell the difference in him. He's always came across as a bellend. The last few years, you can see a change in him though. I like Lex.

• Paid Members
When was this and why was he a cunt?

WWA in Birmingham 200..... and I want to say 2, but Im open to correction. I asked him to sign my ticket and program, he ignored me then sat on the front seat of the bus staring daggers at me for about ten minutes til I eventually got bored of pretending his existed and went to talk to Nathan Jones.... who was lovely, and a giant.

How did you end up on a bus with the WWA crew?

Batista got a lot of shit when he did a signing session in Wolverhampton a few years ago. Turned up an hour late, left early and didn't acknowledge anyone, just keeping his head down and signing.

One person who was awesome was Kevin Nash. We showed up at a signing convention in 2008 hoping to get in late and found out it was already over and everyone was packing up to go home. He asked us if we had cameras and happily posed for a few shots with us. Tammy Lynn Sytch and Traci Brooks weren't as accommodating, but I don't blame them as we showed up at the end of the convention and got photos for free.

I was coaching a high school football(the real stuff, not the crap with the padding) team in Glens Falls, NY in 2007-2008 and was fortunate enough to be attending the schools Sporting Hall of Fame ceremony. The star induction for that year was none other than "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, I was thoroughly impressed by him, really nice bloke and had plenty of time for everybody. Although he did look like a homeless person who they had stuck a red blazer on.

Had a drink with him in the bar and the bloke is funny as hell. Went on to tell me that in High School his nickname was "Moose"....he never elaborated on why. He then informed me that when he was in High School he enjoyed his favorite pastime which was "Rodgering anything that moved" (He used more colourful language)...Classy Guy.

All in all, a great experience.

• Paid Members

I've met a few, from a variety of backgrounds in a variety of settings.

Bret Hart - seemed fairly humble (compared to his reputation as a massive mark for himself) and was open to questions, which I had numerous. Nice bloke.

Mick Foley - amiable enough, but he made double sure I'd paid my 5 quid for the autograph.

CM Punk - up his own arse massively, but friendly with it and funny as fuck, despite being in obvious pain.

Samoa Joe - really sound. Also a funny bloke, seemed in a really good mood.

AJ Styles - really modest, he seemed genuinely surprised when I told him he was my favourite wrestler (at the time) and was happy to hear it. I assumed he heard it all the time.

Chris Daniels - we didnt speak much, but he was soft-spoken and polite.

Spud - top geezer. Had a pint and a smoke with him and split a bag of scratchings, and talked about how he was being booked in various promotions. He looked on with a wry smile as I wrote down the bracket for the forthcoming 1PW title tournament and correctly guessed who would win each quarter final, then semi final, then the final. He had said he wouldn't give anything away but nodded and said "you're not far off." Yes, I was an utter nerd. Still am.

And for the Joshi fans -

Hailey Hatred - met her and partied (reasonably) hard with her in Tokyo. Likes a drink or seven and will openly discuss most matters to do with her work and the industry in general, everything from training regimes to booking finishes to the sexual orientation of the workers, who's shagging who etc. Top girl. Likes drunken karaoke.

Luscious Latasha

Another nice girl, again a bit wild when it comes to a drink or two.

Mia Yim

Pleasant enough, seemed a bit insecure and not always at ease with the amount of male attention she gets though. Which when you've got zeppelins like that implanted in you, should really be expected.

He then informed me that when he was in High School he enjoyed his favorite pastime which was "Rodgering anything that moved" (He used more colourful language)...Classy Guy.

Gutting, for a split second I thought that was a direct quote, and the thought of Duggan saying "rogering" made me chuckle.

Really disappointed to hear that somebody had a negative experience with Paul McStay. The Maestro was one of my first footballing heroes and this is the first I've heard of him being a dick to someone (having met him myself, not saying it didn't happen though).

Can anyone explain if and why Mick Foley has had a massive change in character? I've heard several people say he is a massive cunt in recent years. I don't know if it was my youthful, naive outlook but I always had him down as a great guy from what I had read in Have A Nice Day and from what I had seen in Beyond the Mat.

• Paid Members
Really disappointed to hear that somebody had a negative experience with Paul McStay. The Maestro was one of my first footballing heroes and this is the first I've heard of him being a dick to someone (having met him myself, not saying it didn't happen though).

Can anyone explain if and why Mick Foley has had a massive change in character? I've heard several people say he is a massive cunt in recent years. I don't know if it was my youthful, naive outlook but I always had him down as a great guy from what I had read in Have A Nice Day and from what I had seen in Beyond the Mat.

He's a money-grabbing cunt, basically. All he's interested in.

Archived