Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs Of 2011

Mr. Seven

Bravo on Fucked Up making no. 1. I watched them live in Edinburgh and they were incredible.

Horrors and WU LYF need to fuck off though. Again nothing rational (as I think WU LYF are actually alright), but both bands and their fans annoy me far more than they should.

WU LYF yes, but The Horrors got FUCKING ACE from the second album and never looked back. I saw them live after this came out, and the quality of the work seemed to reflect somewhat in the fanbase. A lot less bellends than you'd imagine.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Horrors have evolved into one of the best bands to emerge from Britain in the last two decades. Their image might be mildly annoying and I'm sure their fanbase has its fair share of cretins (but what fanbase doesn't?) but their last two albums are essential listening. Even their early work has some good stuff, but since they got focused they've been excellent.

I always like these sort of lists as i'm completely out of touch with current music and popular culture, so it's good to get a bit of a snapshot of the year. Immigrant Song's basically the only one i'm familiar with - hell, i've barely even heard of any of the bands/artists, never mind the tracks....

Some good stuff in amongst it too, there's a handful of tracks that I think are fantastic, along with another dozen or so that are real good - all of which i'd never have came across otherwise.

In addition to the one I know which is excellent, highlights for me are Man Without Country, Gotye, Sonoio, 212 and the bonus track Nightcall (both mixes).

I also really enjoyed Tom Waits, a couple of those M83 picks (Midnight City and the frog song), Frank Ocean, Animaux Disco club, Fade into youComing Down, Austra, Coldplay/Rihanna, Handsome Furs, TV On The Radio, Destroyer, and Hooray for Earth, along with a couple of neat instrumentals.

Some shite in there too of course, but we won't dwell on them :)

Good work man, cheers. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

WU LYF appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman last night. Big Dave further cemented a place in my heart by pishing himself laughing when their (pretty bad) performance was over, he then proceeded to rip the pish out of the glum faced drummer by saying "Nice job, buddy. Is that your regular drummer?", WU LYF then do the 'cool' thing and walk off set before Dave is finished, so Dave makes them doing that extremely awkward.

Ah, I love Letterman. Such a prick.

Never been a fan of the 'act the prick on a chat or chart show' thing so fair play to Letterman. I'll be seeing the band live in a couple of months time and will be hoping for a bit more effort. I stand by 'Heavy Pop' being a fucking brilliant song though.

I think we need some sort of music thread to post in, or just keep using this one. Two things I wanted to bring up, first off Azealia Banks has a entertaining Twitter account https://twitter.com/AZEALIABANKS and here's one of her older songs: http://vimeo.com/4720776

Secondly, according to the weekly newsletter "Popbitch", Nick Cave was recently spotted at a pantomine with his children, singing along word by word to Chico Time.

Archived