Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs Of 2011

Mr. Seven

I don't know how much credibility I have but I would hope people would give the song whirl. When a friend reccommended it, he said it reminded him of 'The Rat', one of my top ten favourite songs. And while initially I could see where he was coming from in relation to its energy and aggressive nature, it took quite a few listens before it really hit me. It's just an incredible song. The album is brilliant too.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figure it makes sense to put it here as I've slagged her off quite a bit in this thread. Lana Del Rey's 'Born To Die' is actually not bad. Leaps ahead of 'Video Games'. Her interview in the new issue of Q is pretentious garbage though.

• Paid Members
Figure it makes sense to put it here as I've slagged her off quite a bit in this thread. Lana Del Rey's 'Born To Die' is actually not bad. Leaps ahead of 'Video Games'. Her interview in the new issue of Q is pretentious garbage though.

I read some of that interview, sort of confirmed my worst fears. I'll probably give the album a listen to once the unbearable hype dies down. She is just the hipster Pixie Lott though.

• 3 weeks later...

It's reaaaaaaaaaaaaally odd having been into M83 for so many years to hear their/his stuff being used in ads used to big up BBC and Sky's TV schedules. Still, he/they have deserved to break through to the mainstream for a long time and 'Midnight City' is a great way to do it. It's kinda cute that it might lead people to picked up Hurry Up, We're Dreaming as their first full length, it being an immersive double album and all.

You guys should just download everything. I don't think there's a more consistent artist working today, outside of Trent Reznor.

• Moderators

Yeah, I'd listened to them on the links here, liked it, then forgot about it. Wasn't until I heard it used on TV recently that I was like "this sounds like that M83" and made a point to actually get their shit.

• Paid Members

I think Kim & Jessie was my starting point with M83 and I'm working steadily backwards with them. Aside from the stuff that's been in your lists, Sev, if there's any other electronic stuff like that, French or otherwise (preferably French, though) that you would recommend then let me know.

• Moderators

I'm not Mr. Seven, and this is from 2010, but I highly recommend giving anything by "Baths" a listen. His album is top, and his other projects "Geotic" are also really good. All good electronic ambient kind of stuff from him.

• Paid Members

So I listened to Hurry Up, We're Dreaming today and it's a great album, isn't it? Like Sev, I'm not sure it needed to be a double album and I've never seen the point in 1 minute filler tracks but what a great piece of work it is.

Tomorrow - Saturdays = Youth.

Archived