UFC on Fox II

Adam619

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mistake in judging announcement on Fox show

There was a mistake in reading the cards or how they were presented to Bruce Buffer tonight. Judge Patrick Morley, who was announced as having scored the Demian Maia vs. Chris Weidman fight 29-28 for Maia, actually scored it 30-27 for Weidman so it was a unanimous decision for Weidman and not a split decision.

In the Chael Sonnen vs. Michael Bisping fight, Judges Brad Odom and Otto Torriero gave Sonnen rounds one and three and Bisping round two. Judge Clay Goodman gave all three rounds to Bisping.

Credit: f4wonline.com

UFC on Fox 2 was UFC’s worst show of the year so far. UFC on Fox 1’s only had one main card fight, a big one for the UFC Heavyweight Championship as Junior dos Santos beat Cain Velasquez to become the new UFC Heavyweight Champion ending in only 64 seconds. The USA version of the show didn’t show the great Benson Henderson/Clay Guida fight but fortunately the UK did. All three main card fights on UFC on Fox 2 went to a decision, two dull (Rashad Evans/Phil Davis and Chris Weidman/Demian Meia, the third round in the latter was awful) and one decent (Chael Sonnen/Michael Bisping with people talking about the decision). Hopefully UFC on Fox 3 will get it right.

I’m looking forward to Anderson Silva/Chael Sonnen II getting answers to the questions we’ve had since their first fight, the crowd reactions to it in Brazil will be amazing.

Interestingly, both Dana & Chael himself say that they thought Bisping won the fight.

Wonder where Bisping goes from here, perhaps stick him in with Maia anyway, Palhares or even Weidman.

How one judge gave Sonnen a 30-27 score I'll never know, he took an absolute beating in the 2nd round from Bisping.

You what? Whilst Bisping probably won the round, there was no way way Sonnen took "an absolute beating".

Well 'absolute beating' is probably going overboard, but it was a very clear round for Bisping with him having a massive advantage in the striking during that round.

Interestingly, both Dana & Chael himself say that they thought Bisping won the fight.

Wonder where Bisping goes from here, perhaps stick him in with Maia anyway, Palhares or even Weidman.

I jokingly thought to myself that Dana is going to come out, say that 'the Judges got it horribly wrong and Bisping won the fight. We're going to pay Michael his win bonus and he gets the winner of Silva vs Sonnen'. I don't think this is the last we've heard of this.

• Paid Members

Boring enough show except for the Chael/Bisping fight & the odd Prelim.

I thought Bisping won the first 2 rounds, but so glad Chael won; phew!! I'm a huge Bisping fan, but a bigger Sonnen fan.

A good fight for Bisping next would be against Munoz, and the winner gets the Silva/Sonnen winner. Fuck Maia - he's so boring now that he tries to stand with everyone. I remember when he first came to UFC I was blown away by how smooth he was on the ground, but now he's boring as hell.

I jokingly thought to myself that Dana is going to come out, say that 'the Judges got it horribly wrong and Bisping won the fight. We're going to pay Michael his win bonus and he gets the winner of Silva vs Sonnen'. I don't think this is the last we've heard of this.

In fairness Dana didn't really complain too much about it, he just said he scored it 29-28 for Bisping.

In fairness Dana didn't really complain too much about it, he just said he scored it 29-28 for Bisping.

In fairness Dana was probably thinking about how much more money he'll make off Sonnen v Silva II compared to Bisping v Silva.

Anyway it was a close fight, and as a fight fan with not a lot of love for Michael Bisping he proved he can roll with the best, and if he'd won last night i'd have been disappointed at not getting the chance to see Sonnen v Silva II but i wouldn't have complained.

I fucking hate K1 Maia, the guy used to be amazing to watch, fair enough trying to get more rounded but don't ignore what brought you to the dance at least Weidman has an excuse for that terrible fight coming in on 11 days notice and cutting 30lbs.

Bisping looked good and hopefully he starts getting a little more respect, the guys wrestling is amazing for having no previous experience before entering MMA and Sonnen is one of the best wrestlers in MMA. The fight could have gone either way I scored it for Bisping but you have got to know that some judges score takedowns and don't score getting right back up. Chael's post fight Superstar Billy Graham promo was quite amusing but I would have prefered a more serious interview, like the one he gave Ariel Helwani post fight.

Evans-Davis was dull except for about 30 seconds in every round where Rashad looked like he was about to finish him, Rashad was easily the superior fighter winning all 5 rounds but I would have liked to have seen him turn up the pace a bit more, especially when it became clear that Davis was'nt going to hurt him.

The UFC should be happy though, they now have the two title fights they wanted, Bisping looked good in defeat and Phil Davis is still young and has time on his side to improve.

Fox 3 should be better, it will have Nate Vs Jim Miller which should be great and they will probably put two other fights with title implications, i'm guessing Cain Vs Mir and a Lightweight/Featherweight bout with top contenders.

• Paid Members

Awful show. Three of the fighters looked gassed after the first round and because of this the fights were never explosive.

At least we got the correct winners though. Silva v Sonnen in Brazil will surely be the greatest moment in the history of our sport. Lets just hope Sonnen has an easier time making weight.

• Paid Members
Awful show. Three of the fighters looked gassed after the first round and because of this the fights were never explosive.

that's the main thing im worried about. I imagine a lot of casual sports fan tuning and just not understanding why them guys were so tired. Bisping/Sonnen had reason to be, but gritted their teeth and worked through it. The Maia/Weidman fight in particular was just shocking, both guys looked ready to drop after 10mins of terrible kickboxing, not good for anyone involved.

Demian Maia's was the worst of the year, there won't be a worse performance than that IMO. When the fight was taken to the ground, the guys priority was to get back to his feet to strike, it's like he's completely forgotten that he can use jiu-jitsu. In the 3rd round he was taken down and all he did was hold and look at the ref for a standup, i was thinking 'what the fuck are you doing!?!' the guy needs a grilling or something, it was shocking.

I'm not one to really bash fighters, in many respect i have no right too, but last night it just got under my skin.

• Paid Members

Dunno whats up with Maia. I applaud him for working on his stand up but there were times last night where it hit the ground and he got in good positions to sweep and use his BJJ but just stood up instead. It really does seem like he thinks he's a striker now. Great win for Weidman, fight may have been cack but beating Maia after 7 fights is impressive.

Rashad was dominant. Again not a great fight but he won convincingly. Davis looked bad, Its a shame really I like him but I said when they originally tried to make this fight for 133 that I thought it was too soon for Davis. He just doesnt look ready to me, it showed last night but he's got time to improve. Rashad really impressed me with was how easy he was stuffing some of Davis' takedowns.

I had Bisping 29-28 but the 1st round was pretty close. A lot were thinking Sonnen would steamroll him but I always thought it would be close. Bispings always done well with wrestlers. Thank god for this fight it saved the main card. And we get Silva vs Sonnen 2 :thumbsup:

Worst thing about Demian Maia last night for me was his bad cardio. I wonder if Bisping wishes he got to fight the Demian Meia from last night as originally planned.

I liked the four prelim fights I watched (Evan Dunham/Nik Lentz, Cub Swanson/George Roop, Charles Oliveira/Eric Wisely and Lavar Johnson/Joey Beltran). Dunham/Lentz was the Fight of the Night, Charles Oliveira locked in the best submission I've seen this year and I enjoyed Johnson knocking out Beltran because the latter refused to touch gloves.

• Paid Members

Yeah I really liked the prelims. That's often the case when a main card is lacklustre the prelims are usually good.

Really enjoyed Lentz vs Dunham and seeing Lavar Johnson get a KO on his debut. Always like Big Lavar. Beltran's can take a shot too so the KO is even more impressive.

Oilviera's submission was sweet. Rafael Dos Anjos almost tapped Tyson Griffin with the same technique on one of the Fight Night shows a few years back. Nasty looking sub.

Barboza and Oliveira have KO and Sub of the year for me already in 2012 unless someone can top them. Can't see it myself but you never know.

I think Charles Oliveria's Submission can be beat for Submission of the Year. It's going to take something incredible to top Edson Barboza's knockout of Terry Etim at UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes for Knockout of the Year. a KOt od that would have to be amazing and have great significance.

Archived