Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Regal obviously likes him too, going by the way he puts him over on NXT, so there's obviously something there. I don't think much of him from what i've saw, but i'm that shallow I can barely see past his bland, 'mr average' generic look to find many redeeming qualities. :)

• Paid Members

What's the deal with Regal these days? According to Meltzer and the Torch and the other news outlets on wrestling, he's been in the bad books for complaining about Booker T being used as an announcer over him. Apparently most of the wrestlers and the road agents took Booker T's side because Regal's got heat because Triple H keeps saving him every time he does something wrong. Didn't even know Regal had heat with the locker room.

• Paid Members
I like Regal, but there's no way you could use him as a commentator on a proper show.

Got to agree, I love Willy, but as a full time commentator on RAW or SD? No, it just wouldn't work. Saying that, Booker is still frightful. I'd quite like a heel manager Booker, but nothing much more than that.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I get the impression at times that even Booker T thinks he's shit at commentary and is wondering what the hell he's doing there. They really do need JBL back.

• Paid Members
I get the impression at times that even Booker T thinks he's shit at commentary and is wondering what the hell he's doing there. They really do need JBL back.

Oh definitely regards Booker. I can't tell if that's how he's playing it or if he's genuinely like that but he comes across as an entirely aware self-parody.

I'd like for The Road D O double Gizzle to be given a shot. I'm basing it on nothing much in particular but I'm certain he'd be magnificent.

• Paid Members

I think Regal is great as a C-show (or below, in the the case of NXT) commentator, but agree that his style would never translate to the Raw or SmackDown commentary teams. On NXT he gets to talk shit and make silly references which 90% of the audience won't get. It's great fun because you get the impression he's enjoying himself working without constraint and with nobody bollocking him in his earpiece because he's just reeled off 25 song titles by The Smiths during a match for almost no reason other than to get a laugh from his Twitter followers.

Conversely, I think Booker's actually really good for SmackDown. I like that his voice is so distinctive and full of character. His enthusiasm is infectious and I enjoy his nonsensical ramblings. It all adds to the fun. Way better than boring try-hards like Striker.

• Paid Members
Jesse Sorenson, Chris Sabin and Sonjay Dutt have all went down with bad injuries through mistimed or over paced spots over the last few months, and to be honest that X Division tournament was a fucking mess of botched spots and knees to the wind pipe. They probably want someone to slow this lot down and stop them killing each other.

Agree entirely, while I'm not particularly enthused about Chavo turning up, if this is how they use him it'll be a wise hiring, rather than brigning in even more skinny indie kids...

• Paid Members

Paul Heyman isn't happy:

Yes. Dumbshits who think they can recapture the magic. Some people never learn!

Letters don't mean anything. WWE's #ECW wasn't ECW. Any1 can buy letters. Big deal. ECW was based on ORIGINAL IDEAS! It's called "having an imagination." Obviously, trying to be a duplicate ripoff of the past is not "new" or "original" nor "game changing." #ECW was a product of its time. When I wrote @WWE #Smackdown in 2002/03, I didn't try to duplicate ECW. You move on with the times, people. #ECW One Night Stand was supposed to be a ONE NIGHT STAND. Not a way to re-marry your ex. If someone wants to take a try at re-doing #ECW, knock yourself out. Go for it. Maybe ur investment is smarter doing something NEW!!!

Apparently some "unknown" based in New York has bought the ECW name, before WWE could renew it. No idea if they can run shows using the name, but Heyman seems to think they can and he's going crackers over it.

I hope someone has their eyes on the WCW trademark when that becomes available. Get the band back together and all that.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

• Paid Members
Paul Heyman isn't happy:

Yes. Dumbshits who think they can recapture the magic. Some people never learn!

Letters don't mean anything. WWE's #ECW wasn't ECW. Any1 can buy letters. Big deal. ECW was based on ORIGINAL IDEAS! It's called "having an imagination." Obviously, trying to be a duplicate ripoff of the past is not "new" or "original" nor "game changing." #ECW was a product of its time. When I wrote @WWE #Smackdown in 2002/03, I didn't try to duplicate ECW. You move on with the times, people. #ECW One Night Stand was supposed to be a ONE NIGHT STAND. Not a way to re-marry your ex. If someone wants to take a try at re-doing #ECW, knock yourself out. Go for it. Maybe ur investment is smarter doing something NEW!!!

Apparently some "unknown" based in New York has bought the ECW name, before WWE could renew it.

How does that work, then? WWE still owns the old footage and can still display the ECW letters and logo, but this new company owns everything 'ECW' from this point on?

• Paid Members

No idea. Maybe Lister can clue us up on this. The ECW thing is a dodgy situation anyway, because there is a lot of the ECW footage is owned by RF Video and other parties. If you ever watched Sabu's ECW Timeline, some of his matches from ECW are on it and Feinstein has been selling ECW DVDs for years. ECW is pretty useless anyway these days. All the ECW tribute shows are everything but the name anyway. Heymans right. Letters mean fuck all.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN