Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

With a month to go, is there temptation to move to the larger Hall 4 next door/through a partition, or is it fine for now with a view on The Hydro next year? All speculation, but it must have crossed their minds.

It probably has crossed their minds, however I can't see them doing it nor going to the hydro next year.

They've got an absolutely fantastic opportunity to kick on and really grow the brand of ICW on the back of this.

I'm super excited that I've got tickets for this. Although it means driving from Devon the night before.

If anyone wants picking up a long the way and wants to contribute towards petrol then hit me up.

• Paid Members

Has wrestling ever been this unpopular? (In the states at least)

I notice that Raw this week got a 2.21 rating. Those are the kind of numbers Nitro was getting in late 2000 (being opposed by Raw at the time of course).

Edited by garynysmon

Viewing habits are completely different now. 15 years ago you didn't have OnDemand streaming or the ability to Sky+ or whatever it is they have in the states (TiVo?) so there were more people watching live TV rather through other means. They're also up against the NFL at this time of year.

People need to accept that wrestling had it's popular period and it is highly unlikely that the weekly TV ratings will ever get back those kind of heights of popularity again

Edited by WyattSheepMask

They have always been up against Monday Night Football but as I said earlier there has been 5 million homes that have cut cable, kids coming out of college aren't getting cable anymore, they just get broadband and things like Netflix, Raw is on Hulu, which is a joint streaming site from 3 of the 4 major Networks plus their sister channels.

Viewing habits are completely different now. 15 years ago you didn't have OnDemand streaming or the ability to Sky+ or whatever it is they have in the states (TiVo?) so there were more people watching live TV rather through other means.

WWE's DVR/TiVo viewership is typically around 10%, for both RAW and SD, so it's not really a case where a ton of people prefer to watch WWE taped as opposed live. Most people still watch it live. Even if you factor in the DVD/TiVo viewership WWE's numbers are still down.

Edited by pgi86

• Paid Members

Viewing habits are completely different now. 15 years ago you didn't have OnDemand streaming or the ability to Sky+ or whatever it is they have in the states (TiVo?) so there were more people watching live TV rather through other means. They're also up against the NFL at this time of year.

People need to accept that wrestling had it's popular period and it is highly unlikely that the weekly TV ratings will ever get back those kind of heights of popularity again

That's not the point though is it? Why is Raw doing worse viewership than it was even 1 year ago up against the NFL than it is now? Nobody is expecting them to get 7.2 ratings again. Getting 15 year record lows every other week is a disaster for them. It shows nobody cares about the current crop.

• Paid Members

Also, the rating (2.21 this week) is the share of people who are actually watching TV.

So unless there's a disproportionate amount of wrestling fans in that "5 million" cord cutters stat, the excuse doesn't count. The share of people who haven't cut cable, watching the show is down. And it's down against prior years against the NFL.

Here's some fun graphs from Voices Of Wrestling.

y0qXekr.jpg

avgraw.png

Edited by Benno

The most annoying thing is that unlikely other 'scripted' shows - this is constantly live. They know audience reactions as and when they happen, and they should be able to react to them as soon as possible.

Most scripted TV gets written and filmed far in advance of airing and they'll not know if audiences will fall off or there'll be bad feedback etc.

WWE have NO excuse. If they really wanted to fix this then they would, but for whatever reason they just don't seem to care.

• Paid Members

I think the sudden spike in 2009 stands out more than anything to me- 2006 was a recovery period that started in 2004 from looking at that. Cena-Mania, baby.

As for 2009, that seems a bit out of the blue. I can't think off the top of my head what could've caused that sharp increase, compared to what else was happening the few years either side. Jeff did surprisingly good numbers as the top boy, didn't he?

It's only around a 0.25 rise, not really a huge spike. Looking at the weeklies on Gerweck it looks to be only very slightly up week on week but a much better WM season probably pushed the average up. They hit 4.1 for a couple of weeks in the run up, there was the mainstream crossover with Mickey Rourke which may have spiked viewership.