Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

So is the Network officially a success now then? Or has the ship only just been turned around and it'll be a while before it's altogether in the black?

It's day-to-day profitable, but will still take a fair while to earn back the start-up costs.

AFAIK, it's not as profitable as the PPV model was before they made the switch. That's disguised somewhat by big TV rights increases.

Big picture is that it's making money and, given there's likely no way to go back to PPV, it'll be here for the long run. It's nowhere near as profitable as they claimed to expect, and it may not have been the right move to ditch PPV altogether at that point, but fundamentally the Network is working as a business strategy.

They clearly want to go back to the PPV model for the big four PPVs down the road as an add on feature with the Network. Once they feel they are in the position to do that the Network should be much more profitable than the old system. I'm sure mentioning the idea will be met with disgust again, then even more so when it actually happens.

Not sure how true it is, or how reliable PWInsider.com are, but they are reporting that Jinder Mahal has signed a new contract to be part of Raw, Curt Hawkins is returning to be part of Smackdown, and Melina, MVP, Carlito, Tommy Dreamer and Stevie Richards are rumored to have been contacted and possibly returning as well.

I am really struggling to get too excited by any of those names returning to Raw and Smackdown.

I hope Curt Hawkins is still doing that sweet flying elbow that he was lighting up Velocity with before his release. Looked absolutely textbook for me.

So is the Network officially a success now then? Or has the ship only just been turned around and it'll be a while before it's altogether in the black?

It's day-to-day profitable, but will still take a fair while to earn back the start-up costs.

AFAIK, it's not as profitable as the PPV model was before they made the switch. That's disguised somewhat by big TV rights increases.

Big picture is that it's making money and, given there's likely no way to go back to PPV, it'll be here for the long run. It's nowhere near as profitable as they claimed to expect, and it may not have been the right move to ditch PPV altogether at that point, but fundamentally the Network is working as a business strategy.

They clearly want to go back to the PPV model for the big four PPVs down the road as an add on feature with the Network. Once they feel they are in the position to do that the Network should be much more profitable than the old system. I'm sure mentioning the idea will be met with disgust again, then even more so when it actually happens.

Not saying you're wrong or that it wont happen but was genuinely wondering where you get ''they clearly want to go back to the PPV model for the big 4'' from?

Have I missed something? What Indicators have they ever given about that being in the future plans for you to use the words clearly?

What counts as the Big 4 now? Rumble, Wrestlemania and Summerslam sure but If they do change to that model, they will have to do a major rehabilitation job on Survivor Series to get people to part with extra cash for that show

I'd argue Money In the Bank is the 4th most Important show on the calender these days but they would have to move it to later in the year in if they did include that as one of the big 4, otherwise they would be asking people to pay extra in Jan, late March/early April, June and August leaving a huge hole at the back end of the year.

Edited by MVP RULZ

Well they are a business, so any way of brining in extra money is on their radar. They wanted to do it with Wrestlemania much sooner but because the Network has gotten off to a slow start they haven't pulled the trigger.

The actual evidence comes from the brand split. There is no reason at all they would do it other than to add more content to the network while making the big four more special. The end game has to be brand exclusive events free on the network and joint brand shows on the Network for an extra tenner.

Survivor Series hasn't been as important as MITB for ages now, but they'd be able to present that as a big show if it they are strict with the brand split. A big inter promotional match between the two brands could make it special enough to part money with. MITB could alternate between the two shows, giving each main title a year break from the cash in story lines. One year Raw has it, following year Smackdown has it

Not saying you're wrong or that it wont happen but was genuinely wondering where you get ''they clearly want to go back to the PPV model for the big 4'' from?

Have I missed something? What Indicators have they ever given about that being in the future plans for you to use the words clearly?

It was a typo. He meant "I clearly want them to go back to the PPV model for the big 4." Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

I don't think thats the case, to be honest. If anything, the brand split serves to strengthen both brands TV proposition, leading to WWE being able to negotiate a higher price for the rights next time around. Additionally, you can now justifiably provide two 'PPV' level shows per month as content for the network (during dual-branded months, will they run one 'PPV' or three does anyone know?). They're all in with this model now, for better or worse.

Edited by KJHenley

The WWE Network ideally should have been for the archived PPVs, old TV shows etc. and they have kept the PPV model going because it was still a money spinner for them. Albeit not the spinner it once was, but WrestleMania alone must have made it cost affective. WWE really should have adopted a business model similar to the UFC where the PPVs are the same (ie available on cable/satellite) and the Network is the equivalent of Fight Pass with some exclusive MSG shows, NXT big shows etc. and their tape library. I mean if they digitzied their old shows and put them on the Network (Wrestling Challenge/Superstars (original one not the current Superstars/All Star Wrestling/Championship Wrestling etc.), plus if they put WCW Worldwide, Saturday Night etc. and the other territory shows they have along with the old PPVs then that would be worth 9.99 alone. So the PPVs as part of the deal is really great value for money when you think about it. Whether they will alter the Network to say offer the PPVs in Ultra HD or something then I think the price structure might change so you get the older shows - SNME etc for 9.99, then add in the archived PPVs etc. for 19.99 and with PPVs it'll be 29.99 or 39.99 in higher definition and with less buffering etc. and maybe be like iPlayer where you can download them for a set time and they expire after 30 days so you can watch them on other devices. Also not sure if they record their live events but if they did just a one hard camera set up I'm sure people would be intrigued to watch them and it's a cheap way to add new content to the Network. But if they did change the Network with the PPVs seperate or back on pay-per-view cable/satellite providers I think they'd be a big backlash (no pun intended) but again the fanbase is so loyal so they'd no doubt still pay for them anyway.

• Paid Members

Well they are a business, so any way of brining in extra money is on their radar. They wanted to do it with Wrestlemania much sooner but because the Network has gotten off to a slow start they haven't pulled the trigger.

The actual evidence comes from the brand split. There is no reason at all they would do it other than to add more content to the network while making the big four more special. The end game has to be brand exclusive events free on the network and joint brand shows on the Network for an extra tenner.

Survivor Series hasn't been as important as MITB for ages now, but they'd be able to present that as a big show if it they are strict with the brand split. A big inter promotional match between the two brands could make it special enough to part money with. MITB could alternate between the two shows, giving each main title a year break from the cash in story lines. One year Raw has it, following year Smackdown has it

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the brand split was motivated because USA were unhappy with Smackdown's ratings. Same reason it's gone live. I don't think it had anything to do with the Network at all.