Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Zhè jiùshì dǐxiàn bīnglěng rú shí zhème shuō

I hope that translates to "why don't they just re-hire Funaki"

Google translate suggests it's  "and that's the bottom line, because stone cold said so" but it won't translate back the other way.

Wouldn't use mandarin to appeal for the rehiring of a Japanese wrestler :p

• Paid Members

Only the other day I was watching There Will Be Blood and it got me thinking about how mental it must make you doing a DDL for a few months and basically living the gimmick. I then remembered that's what wrestlers did, until fairly recently. No wonder most of them seem to be away with it, they've been living another life for most of their adult life.

Yeah Lawler has always seemed quite close to Vince as far as business goes (he knows where the bodies are buried) .

Yeah, but so were Bruce Pritchard and Steve Lombardi

They musn't have been in the loop with absolutely everything.

I'd say Bruce and Lombardi were in your outer circle of hell. Guessing for fun I'd say Patterson and Hogan are a level up. Vince's IMMEDIATE FAMILY on the top tier. Then again maybe stuff has been kept from goody two shoes Linda McMahon that the rest know.

Maybe there's nothing too strange outside the usual politics, financial coercion and manipulation and we've all worked ourselves giddy with the shadow world of Vince McMahon. I hope not though. I want dirt in my lifetime.

• Paid Members

Likable is a terrible choice of phrase. Cena's character is about 87 billion and a quarter times more likable than either the Rock or Steve Austin.

To who? Austin always had the entire arena behind him, and Rock did 90% of the time too. Cena has been coming out to majority boos for 11 years and counting while drawing fewer fans to the product than either Austin and Rock.

Anyone with morals? Anyone who doesn't cheer bullying, violence against women, beating up non-wrestlers and referees, rubbing your wealth in peoples faces?

Austin and Rock were cooler but they weren't likeable. That was oddly part of the charm.

I think you're right in that "likable" might not be the right word - perhaps "appealing" is better. Rock and Austin weren't more likable in terms of who they were, they were more appealing in terms of people prefering to see them and cheering them.

I don't find Cena's character particularly likable though. The Poopy Gayness thing has always been a factor (just because it's been mentioned loads of times doesn't mean it isn't valid or has become invalid), but also, I just don't trust someone like that - nobody is that nice, not to mention that I think overall people tend to trust people who betray and acknowledge some character flaws or failings from time to time; Cena just doesn't seem to do that. Hell, I remember when Triple H first came back from his quad layoff as a face, and one of the most likable promos he ever cut was that angle when Steph pretended to be pregnant to get him to do the wedding vow renewal: "I've done some pretty despicable things...*audience cheers*...I admit it! I'm an asshole!"

Also, never trusted him since he was so ready to fight an exhausted Rey Mysterio, who'd just come through a tournament to win, for the WHC straight away. If he was really a good guy, he'd have challenged him for next week.

And he has a really boring head.

But, anyway, that's all by the by. As a worker, he's stellar, top-notch. As a professional company man, he is THE best ever. I'm sure he's a lovely guy in real life, and he clearly does care about his fans. His work ethic is phenomenal, to the point where he's breaking down, sadly. I just don't want to watch him, because I'm not personally entertained by him, but I came to the conclusion long ago that that's because it's become deliberate after a while: his character is just not meant to be for fans like me, and any fans like me who do like him are seen as a bonus to the character.

• Paid Members

I reckon Patterson knows much, MUCH more than Vince's family do. Him and Vince were practically running everything together in the 1980s, and you can only imagine the shit (the stuff that is yet to come out, that is) that went down that is under wraps. Cocktails of roids, coke and newfound stardom. You can imagine.

Patterson's book should be amazing, can't wait for it to be released.

Lombardi knows shit, he's the type of thick bastard you tell one thing to send him off in another direction and then crack on, "Yeah Brawler we are thinking of taking the belt off Cena and giving it Doug Basham, keep it to yourself though sport"

Edited by Ambulance Chaser

With Lawler they we're always going to struggle to let him go, hall of fame that had a heart attack live on air just after wrestling = job for life.

This is probably a perfect excuse for them to let him go and save face at the same time.