Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Check Sky 1 in your EPG GS, and then chill the fuck out.

It's no longer on PPV because a) WWE fucked the dog on the Rumble and b) it's a free month on the network.

Sky don't want it to be free. They paid more on this new contract than the last, on the understanding that the network would be a subscription service at a monthly cost of £9.99. They found out February was free the same way everyone else did. And they weren't told in advance that the Rumble would be aired during Raw. They paid a fortune to secure the UK rights to WWE, and the WWE have took the piss ever since.

In order for Sky to get value for money on their deal, they have to charge for PPV's because it's no longer one way traffic. Before, Sky could lure people to subscribe with some free PpV's and access to Raw/Smackdown. Now, it's not that easy in a split market, with less interested unsubscribers around.

There's no value for money for Sky really, anymore. WWE is simply a prestige piece, I think.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Looks like Sky will be faced with more shit down the road with other PPV's because it seems WWE might do this 'Free Month' thing on a regular basis. It was only November since the last one. Although this is the first free month trial since the UK launch. These days Sky are pretty much fucked from every angle on the PPV front because of the Network or by torrents and streams.

Torrents and Streams mean shit, Sky isn't making money off hardcore Internet wrestling fans.

The network is a shitter sure, but the real money comes from Raw/Smackdown and the subsequent subscriptions and ad revenue. Wrestlemania is probably the only one that'll even sting beyond what is absorbable. The real losers are the fans because Sky need to eek out whatever cash they can from those casual fans that aren't on the network. There'll be no more free ppvs as standard, only when the WWE fuck about.

Having it on Sky 1 is just a nice bit of fluff, something for fans that watch the hour catch up on Sky 1 and wouldn't dream of subscribing to even Sports or the network.

The real issue is a lack of communication. The WWE seem to have stuck 2 fingers up to the world inc thy launched the network.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Could this not also been seen as Sky trying to hype Wrestlemania on PPV, stirring casual interest by putting Fastlane on a basic channel? Take the PPV revenue hit now with hope of reaping extra buys later? Might help with those ignorant of, or unable to get the Network.

• Paid Members

I think it's more a case of Sky trying to appease their pissed-off (understandably) customers who paid out £20 for the Royal Rumble only for WWE to stick anything from the event worth watching on Raw the next night.

I can't fathom why Glass Smash is getting all hissy at Sky for putting Fast Lane on Sky One and Sky Sports, which ultimately means they won't make as much money.

Did I dream it, or could you buy PPVs on WWE.com at one point before the Network launched?   Was this available in the UK?

I'm sure you could and I think I tried it once but the quality was woeful. I think it may have been Judgement Day 2002 when Undertaker beat Hogan for the title with the best chokeslam ever.

Got to be the first time a PPV has been on Sky 1 since about Wrestlemania 6. I know Wrestlemania 7 was on Sky Movies.

All PPV's from 1991 were on Sky Movies but they usually aired the next day and WrestleMania 8 was live on Sky Movies. I'm pretty sure Summerslam 1992 was the first PPV to be shown on Sky Sports, Although the event was held on a Saturday I seem to recall Sky airing it on the Bank Holiday Monday two days later.