Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Good! I know they're still struggling to get the ratings for the new earlier 1st hour up, but the quality of the product is much improved by being live, and the build-up to PPVs has been better recently as well. I hope their PPV buys improve as well.

• Paid Members
I hope their PPV buys improve as well.

I can't see any big improvement happening until there are fresh matches to sell. As good as the product is and as sensible as the PPV build has been, it's still pretty much the same rotation of guys over and over. Some may like the Bound For Glory series but for me, it absolutely kills them when it comes to presenting fresh and interesting matches.

Hope the Aces and Eights thing produces a host of new guys to give Hardy, Angle, Styles, Storm, etc someone new to work with.

Good! I know they're still struggling to get the ratings for the new earlier 1st hour up, but the quality of the product is much improved by being live, and the build-up to PPVs has been better recently as well. I hope their PPV buys improve as well.

Announcing ALL(!) of the matches on the Thursday before the PPV.... thats still TNA levels of wrestlecrap if you think about it.

Some of you may still have hope for TNA, but to me its mostly the same ol shitty shit storylines with better and LIVE wrestling. Austin's title reign and the poor handeling of the Aces and Eights has killed all intrest I had in TNA.

I hope their PPV buys improve as well.

Some may like the Bound For Glory series but for me, it absolutely kills them when it comes to presenting fresh and interesting matches.

It's an interesting trade-off, isn't it? On the one hand, you're creating actual reasons for matches, on the other hand you're therefore giving away potential PPV matches on tv.

Thing is, they did that anyway, all tv wrestling companies have for years. At least with the BFG series, there was a bit of reason behind it rather than "John Cena v Randy Orton.... in a Tag Team Match up, playa" style of tv booking.

And we now have Hardy v Aries, which is fresh, for the PPV. Plus we have a whole bunch of potential feuds as a consequence of what went down.

Add into that we're just about to get a flood of new midcard acts with the Aces&8s, so there'll be a lot of fresh matches there too. Incidentally, what's not to love about that angle? They even have their own theme tune that sounds just like the Sons Of Anarchy theme.

Bound for Glory is going to be screened in cinemas over in America this year. Not sure if this is a new thing, but they clearly know no-one is buying pay per views anymore, but going along to a cinema with a bunch of other wrestling fans and watching in a group is always far better than on your own. Could be the way forward, even though WWE did it decades ago.

• Paid Members
It's an interesting trade-off, isn't it? On the one hand, you're creating actual reasons for matches, on the other hand you're therefore giving away potential PPV matches on tv.

Yeah, it is interesting. I'm not against the concept. I think any more than 6 guys is too many. With 6, you can use guys who've faced each other before, saving fresh matches for the next 10 months and then using those guys next year once you've sold your matches.

Thing is, they did that anyway, all tv wrestling companies have for years. At least with the BFG series, there was a bit of reason behind it rather than "John Cena v Randy Orton.... in a Tag Team Match up, playa" style of tv booking.

Yeah, you're spot on here, but just because it's been done doesn't make it right. I'd argue that buyrates declining for the past 10 years suggests it's a concept that should've died out back then. Unfortunately, they both want to do things that the WWF and WCW got away with when wrestling was red-hot because people would buy anything back then. Now it's stone cold, it needs more imagination.

And we now have Hardy v Aries, which is fresh, for the PPV.

It's not a big winner for me. I don't particularly buy into Aries. He came from nowhere to take the title. So you've had all these guys fighting each other for months for a shot and they face a guy who got handed one. Roode/Hardy would have sold me on it.

Add into that we're just about to get a flood of new midcard acts with the Aces&8s, so there'll be a lot of fresh matches there too. Incidentally, what's not to love about that angle? They even have their own theme tune that sounds just like the Sons Of Anarchy theme.

I'm not in love with the angle yet. It started cool but then didn't really progress. I mentioned the other week, I think they've been too sensible with the booking. I'd have preferred a few logic holes if it meant Aces & Eights looking stronger by kicking the shit out of TNA talent each week. That said, I'm not going to shit on it completely because it still has a load of mileage.

In terms of fresh faces, I just don't see Mike Knox, Wes Brisco, D'Lo Brown, Luke Gallows, etc being draws at the end of it. Credit to them for trying though, it makes for good TV.

Bound for Glory is going to be screened in cinemas over in America this year. Not sure if this is a new thing, but they clearly know no-one is buying pay per views anymore, but going along to a cinema with a bunch of other wrestling fans and watching in a group is always far better than on your own. Could be the way forward, even though WWE did it decades ago.

They did the cinema thing for BFG last year and Lockdown this year. At the time Meltzer was reporting that the cinema experiment turned out to be a huge flop for them but I guess that's not the case since they're doing it again.

Edited by pgi86

Jesse Ventura pretty much destroying Piers Morgan on live TV on his own show a few days ago. I have no idea on American politics but it was a interesting watch.

I think "destroying" is a incredibly generous term, esspecially considering there were times where Morgan owned Ventura too.

I thought they both held their own to be honest. Both men said some eye rolling stuff and also shot out some interesting opinions. I'll admit though, you can't deny how forceful & opinionated (in a good way) Ventura is. It certainly helped that he had a very pro US audience behind him.

The thing that really made me *facepalm* was the way Ventura danced around Morgan's rather well put point about guns; why does any American (particularly a young man with no rural requirement to have such a gun) have the ability to purchase a high calibre weapon and shit loads of ammo, when a simple handgun would suffice for self defense purposes. Ventura directly avoided answering him and instead just gave generic "pro gun" answers about having a gun. A bit dissapointed on that one.

However I admire him for actually stating "I don't have an opinion" in regards to one question. People seem to think that they MUST have a opinion on everything, when actually there is no shame in going "hay... I don't know enougth on this at this point in time, so I refuse to answer."

Recommend everyone watch this, was quite interesting.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

Seems Beth Phoenix may be leaving WWE next month.

Courtesy of lordsofpain.net

Several sources have confirmed the news of Beth Phoenix leaving WWE next month. PWInsider reports that she has given notice to WWE that she's leaving and is finishing up her dates. She's expected to leave WWE by the end of October.

Sources in WWE weren't surprised to see Phoenix give notice as she seemed to be "going through the motions" over the last year. Phoenix has been spending time with her boyfriend Edge at his home in North Carolina. If she decides to wrestle outside of WWE then she would be able to use the Beth Phoenix ring name because she used it before joining WWE.