Gadaffi captured/killed

Frankie Crisp

IF he was kicked to death or summarily executed in the confusion, I really can't see a long list of people lining up to worry about it, can you? Mussolini was shot after capture in more calculating circumstances and nobody really gave a shit, nor did it particularly screw the creation of a democratic Italy as far as I know.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure most people expected him to end up dead. However, you don't have to be a mental like "David" or "big mickey" to question why someone who was captured would be shot in the head, if that is indeed what happened. If he was killed in a battle or because someone feared for their safety then that's fine by me. If he was captured, unarmed, paraded through the streets and then shot or kicked to death then that's pretty abhorrent.

The fact that you can't agree with me without throwing in a bit of a dig will be taken as a compliment, Dizzy. You're getting close to earning that VuVu smiley you want ;)

I don't agree with you. My views are pretty consistent. You're pro-terrorism, a Muslim sympathiser and a BNP voting bigot.

Diz, it's impossible to vote for a party when they have no one in your area, mate. The BNP have never been on a ballot paper in Motherwell. Well, not that I've seen anyway.

I abstained from the Euro vote, and always have. I may have said that I'd rather vote BNP than take part in an EU election, but that's another story.

On topic, really, why the whining about him getting shot up? He's a mass murdering terrorist supporting plane gettting crashed fuckhead. He killed 10's of thousands trying to hold on to power over a country that didn't want him and we're actually bothered that when he got caught he was killed?

Bunch o damn hippies, quite frankly.

On topic, really, why the whining about him getting shot up? He's a mass murdering terrorist supporting plane gettting crashed fuckhead. He killed 10's of thousands trying to hold on to power over a country that didn't want him and we're actually bothered that when he got caught he was killed?

You mean like these hippies? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15399951

Truth be told, if it had happened organically, and his own people had gotten rid of him by their own, then fine. It's the fact that once again we have a country containing oil that the western world are going to have a hand in.

Was this rebel group big enough & strong enough to remove Gaddafi without our help? Another big question is, will the rebels now be allowed to run the country? And if so, how accomodating will they be of our demands for oil and other such resources?

Personally, I think there'll probably be a "democratic" Government installed, under NATO control, of course.

a Muslim sympathiser

What's wrong with that? I sympathise with them for the shit they have to put up with. Also, what is a WUM?

I thought that David's problem was with publishing a photo of a recently killed to death leader. Unlike Bin Laden, where he was happy not to see any photo's of the body.

EDIT - It's wind up merchant, isn't it!

No doubt Nelson Mandela will be remembering his dear friend today;

A grandson of Nelson Mandela is named Gadaffi - a sign of how popular the late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi once was in South Africa and many other African countries.

With his image of a revolutionary, Col Gaddafi inspired South Africans to fight for their liberation, funding and arming the anti-apartheid movement as it fought white minority rule.

However, he also backed notorious rebel groups in Liberia and Sierra Leone and his demise could serve as a warning to the continent's other "big-man" rulers.

After Mr Mandela became South Africa's first black president in 1994, he rejected pressure from Western leaders - including then-US President Bill Clinton - to sever ties with Col Gaddafi, who bankrolled his election campaign.

"Those who feel irritated by our friendship with President Gaddafi can go jump in the pool," he said.

Instead, Mr Mandela played a key role in ending Col Gaddafi's pariah status in the West by brokering a deal with the UK over the 1988 Lockerbie bombing.

It led to Col Gaddafi handing over Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi for trial in Scotland. He was convicted in 2001, before being released eight years later on compassionate grounds - a decision Mr Mandela welcomed.

Mr Mandela saw the Lockerbie deal as one of his biggest foreign policy achievements.

"No-one can deny that the friendship and trust between South Africa and Libya played a significant part in arriving at this solution... It vindicates our view that talking to one another and searching for peaceful solutions remain the surest way to resolve differences and advance peace and progress in the world," he said in 1999, as he approached the end of his presidency.

"It was pure expediency to call on democratic South Africa to turn its back on Libya and [Col] Gaddafi, who had assisted us in obtaining democracy."

And Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni perhaps summed up non-western feelings on the issue perfectly;

"Muammar Gaddafi, whatever his faults, is a true nationalist. I prefer nationalists to puppets of foreign interests."

Archived