The Poppy - For Or Against?

David

• Paid Members
from twitter:

Breaking - FIFA confirm to BBC that two protestors from the group who's name shall not be mentioned on ukff are currently on the roof of FIFA HQ in Zurich.

3 minutes ago

Mental bastards.

air_raid told you all that we had gone international.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah took 4 myself in 2006 would have been 7 without body armour, shattered my upper right leg and hip, so got off pretty lucky really

Plus I signed up in 1998 before any invasion so kinda fucks up David's "deserved" point

Funnily enough, it's exactly people like you who do deserve it in my opinion. Your anti-Islamic rhetoric and marches are a poison in this country, and the idea that our Government would hand someone like you a gun and send you into somewhere like Iraq or Afghanistan is disturbing to be honest.

See, once you actually see full on extremist Islam in action it does have a way of changing people's attitudes

Wanna know why I'm against extremist Islam in this country, well now you know :)

Why just extreme Islamism, and not extreme Christianity or any other religion/viewpoint?

Because, thankfully extreme Christianity isnt a widespread and as blood thirsty.

That's interesting, in the sense it is the exact same reason given as to why UAF, Hope Not Hate target the BNP and EDL more often them MAC, yet you scoffed at that line of reasoning.

In other news, looks like the England team can wear an armband with a poppy on it.

Everyone's favourite English Defenders Division were in fine form the other day;

Nearly 200 people, believed to be English Defence League supporters, have been arrested following a remembrance service near the Cenotaph.

The group was held after Scotland Yard received intelligence suggesting there could be a repeat of last year's Armistice Day clashes.

Some 179 people were held outside the Red Lion pub in Westminster to "prevent a breach of the peace", the force said.

The arrests came around two hours after millions of Britons held a two-minute silence to remember the nation's war dead and wreaths were laid on Whitehall to commemorate fallen servicemen.

Trouble flared on the same day last year when the far-right group confronted Islamic protesters after members of Muslims Against Crusades (Mac) burned poppies outside the Royal Albert Hall.

But police said there were no reports of disorder between opposing groups ahead of the arrests. "All 179 were taken to police stations across London," a Scotland Yard spokesman said. "Three people were arrested for affray and have been bailed pending further inquiries. 176 people were arrested to prevent a breach of the peace - they have since been released."

A source at the Red Lion said officers corralled EDL members into the pub at around 11am in a bid to keep them "in one place". The move came amid reports that members planned to target the Occupy London camp outside St Paul's Cathedral.

The EDL claimed the arrests were "illegal" and "orchestrated" by police. EDL founder Stephen Lennon, 28, known as Tommy Robinson, also denied suggestions the group planned to make their way to the Occupy London camp.

"The police have organised this," he said. "There's been no violence, no trouble and no-one was wearing defence league clothing. This was just people coming down for the remembrance service and then going to the pub afterwards.

"If those people had tried to make their way to St Paul's or to an Islamic area then we could understand their reason for the arrests but these people didn't do anything today."

Bit o background to that, when the MAC got banned and it became apparent they'd have no-one to ruck with posts started going up on their facebook saying occupy london had until 11.00 am to disband as they felt it was disrespectful to protest during rememberance day.

Which the cops read, and is why the cops nicked em.

Bit o background to that, when the MAC got banned and it became apparent they'd have no-one to ruck with posts started going up on their facebook saying occupy london had until 11.00 am to disband as they felt it was disrespectful to protest during rememberance day.

Which the cops read, and is why the cops nicked em.

In that case, and it's not something I say too much, well done to the police on that one.

A group of hooligans attacking one of those camps (some of which have children in them) would have been a fucking disgrace.

The EDL showing their true colours - they just wanted a ruck with whoever was to hand.

I was impressed by the figures for poppy sales this year, and disappointed by the attempts on both sides (left and right) to turn this into some sort of debate on nationalism.

It's not that at all. The reason poppy sales have been increasing year on year is simple - we have more and more injured and disabled servicemen returning from foreign wars, who are shoddily cared for by the government. The British public (the good, honest 99% who abhor extremism on any sides, and whose father and grandfathers fought fascism and paid with their lives) know this, and know that the British Legion are the champions of ex-servicemen, and have been buying poppies in response.

The poppy is not a symbol - it's a gesture. Everyone who's trying to turn it into a symbol, either good or bad, need to keep their own prejudices in check, if only for one day a year.

The EDL showing their true colours - they just wanted a ruck with whoever was to hand.

I was impressed by the figures for poppy sales this year, and disappointed by the attempts on both sides (left and right) to turn this into some sort of debate on nationalism.

It's not that at all. The reason poppy sales have been increasing year on year is simple - we have more and more injured and disabled servicemen returning from foreign wars, who are shoddily cared for by the government. The British public (the good, honest 99% who abhor extremism on any sides, and whose father and grandfathers fought fascism and paid with their lives) know this, and know that the British Legion are the champions of ex-servicemen, and have been buying poppies in response.

The poppy is not a symbol - it's a gesture. Everyone who's trying to turn it into a symbol, either good or bad, need to keep their own prejudices in check, if only for one day a year.

Yup. I'll throw in that I work in a largely muslim area and wore one all week, and not one person was offended or annoyed in any way. Some asked what it meant, I explained, no-one took it to mean anything other than what it was meant to mean.

Has anyone actually met anyone who is offended by a poppy? I certainly haven't. In fact, the only offence i've seen taken is at me for not wearing one, but that was from a right wanker so it doesn't really count.

You're right Loki, people should be allowed to wear one if they wish. It means different things to different people, and all should be allowed to treat the situation as they see fit.

Archived