The Poppy - For Or Against?

David

Well, it's almost that time of year again, isn't it? Once again I'll have various people shaking cans at me and asking me to buy a fucking poppy. I haven't bought or worn one for years now, and I doubt I'll start now.

How many people here buy into it? And will we see another Jon Snow type situation this year? For those who missed it, this is what he had to say about the whole thing a few years back;

"I am begged to wear an Aids ribbon, a breast cancer ribbon, a Marie Curie flower... You name it, from the Red Cross to the RNIB, they send me stuff to wear to raise awareness, and I don't.

"And in those terms, and those terms alone, I do not and will not wear a poppy.

"Additionally there is a rather unpleasant breed of poppy fascism out there - 'He damned well must wear a poppy!'.

"Well I do, in my private life, but I am not going to wear it or any other symbol on air."

The sheer outrage against the guy was laughable to be honest.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, wear it or don't, couldn't care less. But give em some cash if ya got any spare, alot of soldiers went through hell for this country, even if you don't believe in some of the recent actions they don't make the rules, they deserve it.

• Paid Members

I personally usually wear them, but I don't think those who don't should be frowned upon. Those who make the most noise about people who don't wear them probably don't understand the meaning behind poppys anyway.

• Paid Members
I personally usually wear them, but I don't think those who don't should be frowned upon. Those who make the most noise about people who don't wear them probably don't understand the meaning behind poppys anyway.

This pretty much. I wear one every year, but I have no issues with those who dont. As far as TV personalities go, it should be their call, but I can understand why the BBC would want their onscreen personalities wearing them.

edit: and to be clear I know Snow wasnt with the BBC during all this.

Ambivalent. It doesn't have any great significance for me, though I generally do wear one. The only thing that stops me wearing ribbons, daffodils etc. is that I already do enough health related stuff, so I'm not giving them any more money! If I were on TV, I'd probably have the same opinion as Jon Snow.

• Paid Members

I'm one of those who's a little dubious of this whole American type furore of supporting 'our boys' in the army who have been put on a bit too much of a pedestal in my opinion. But I have no problem in wearing a poppy, especially given the nature of conscription and that the vast majority of World War 1 and 2 participants had no choice in the matter and in the case of the latter, were fighting against a dictator who'd killed millions of innocent people.

I'm one of those who's a little dubious of this whole American type furore of supporting 'our boys' in the army who have been put on a bit too much of a pedestal in my opinion. But I have no problem in wearing a poppy, especially given the nature of conscription and that the vast majority of World War 1 and 2 participants had no choice in the matter and in the case of the latter, were fighting against a dictator who'd killed millions of innocent people.

The problem I have is where the money raised actually goes. The majority of it is spent on current & recent military personnel.

The symbolism of the poppy is more significant for me than where my donation goes- that's not to say I support recent wars, but I do feel it signifies remembrance particularly for those that lost their lives in the World War including my own relatives, and for that reason I wear one.

I do disagree with this whole poppy fascism thing, though, people should have the choice of which causes they wish to support.

I'd happily wear a white or red and white poppy, to signify I'm for peace and we should remember the sacrifice made by our soldiers in the 1st and 2nd world wars in particular. It's so sad our young men are dying in these modern unjust wars. I support our troops but not the current conflicts. The patriotic action would be to bring them home in my opinion.

Archived