The Poppy - For Or Against?

David

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good read regarding the whole situation with the England game and the poppy;

Once all that was required of them was to stand there in silence and some, like John Terry, were simply grateful for the peace. Last night, England took to the Wembley turf knowing rather more was expected. Somehow they had to justify all those introductions already written on those laptops flickering in the press box.

"England did the nation's war heroes proud here last night", or something along those lines.

Where would they stop? Would a stuffing from Spain inspire the reverse? That "England let down the war heroes"? Maybe, because it's the easiest article to write. Pack it with military references, talk about young men willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause and then close it off with a profundity. How about: "They were not worthy." Gotcha.

Still, at least football couldn't be accused of disrespect. That's what the Football Association believe. They took on Fifa and, with the help of the righteous such as David Cameron and Prince William, forced them to compromise in the donning of the poppy. If I was J

Patrick Collins has written a fantastic piece in the Mail about Poppies at the football. Yes, you read that right, the DM is so busy chasing web hits with trolljob commentary and show biz exclusive that their sports writers are allowed slip under the radar and go against the party line.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ol-respect.html

I have a shameful confession to make.

While I observed Friday's two minute silence immaculately I had a bit of a problem on Sunday. As I was staying with my girlfriend I didn't attend my local 11 AM parade but chose to observe the two minute silence watching the BBC's coverage from The Cenotaph. I sat silently as the camera moved from touching images of serving soldiers, to royalty, to WW2 veterans, war widows and so on until, with moments to go the camera focussed on an old chap, proudly wearing his medals. In the back of this particular shot was a young man in a beret, presumably a member of the CCF. Said young man had a chubby face that looked familiar from somewhere... but where... someone I had seem recently... it dawned on me that he looked just like the fat scout eating his packed lunch on the rollercoaster in the much aired Jim'll Fix It clip. I choked back my grin until I looked over at the duchess who must have been having the exact same thought and we both totally corpsed.

We are going to BURN!

If members of the EDL are so proud and claim to be doing nothing wrong, why do so many of them have their faces covered at these marches? Genuine question.

Some have jobs that would possibly be under threat if they were seen as big bad scary EDL members.

Add to that some might live in Muslim populated areas and don't facing being identified as they like their houses/families/lives.

And kiffy there was no intention of going to St Paul's, since when did people start believing everything they read on Facebook

Hasn't the fact that you've been lifted sent alarm bells ringing in your head, Mickey? You're not an idiot, yet you're now being grouped in with probably the most vile organisation in the UK at present (after the Government, of course).

Not really, seeing as we were arrested for absolutely nothing, what's to be worried about?

Plus the impending false arrest cases about to hit the MET might make them think twice about doing stupid shit like this

Archived