Are The MOBO'S Divisive?

David

This discussion came up in college today, with some interesting opinions being bandied about. Is there a place for such a ceremony in modern day Britain? This article from David Lister a few years ago makes for interesting reading on the subject;

Awards ceremonies come and go in the arts, pretty much on a weekly basis. But none can rank with the Mobos. What other awards can manage to be both ludicrous and dangerously divisive at the same time?The Mobos are awards for Music of Black Origin. That's an awful lot of music. It's a surprise really Paul McCartney has not picked up a lifetime Mobo on behalf of the Beatles. Their early music was certainly inspired by black American singers, as, of course, was that of Elvis Presley, and a huge number of others. While these awards are generally thought of as being for urban music, a look at winners in past years defies any simple definition. What on earth was the white Devonian Joss Stone nominated for

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I wouldn't say they were divisive, but I would say they are almost irrelevant these days with so very much of popular music being of Black origin. There's enough mainstream award shows as it is.

That's a retarded article, it manages to complain about it being exclusively for black people, and also about it containing too many nominess aren't black.It's fair enough to have awards for music of black origin, the nme awards may not say they're for music of white origin, but lets face it they are. Classical music's almost entirely white, why not have something based on music from black origin?

Classical music's almost entirely white, why not have something based on music from black origin?

Could you imagine the furore if there was a classical music award called the Music Of White Origin awards? Fucking Hell, it doesn't bear thinking about...

• Paid Members

Classical music's almost entirely white, why not have something based on music from black origin?

Could you imagine the furore if there was a classical music award called the Music Of White Origin awards? Fucking Hell, it doesn't bear thinking about...
The CMA's (Country Music Awards) pretty much tick that box.

• Paid Members

I'm from London and I can't speak for everywhere but as far as I see black culture is so ingrained with with popular culture in general that I think something like the MOBOs is no longer necessary, it does more harm than good in a way, black people don't need it, they're fully integrated with the mainstream, it seems old fashioned now. It's not doing anyone any favours really, in 2011 a black artist could easily win a Brit award, and MTV award or a Grammy just like a white artist could so why would they even want a MOBO? It would be like giving Sheamus the European title, he's European yes but he's perfectly comfortable in the world title picture.

You're right, I couldn't handle watching George Fornby, Black Lace and Earnie the Fastest Milkman in the West clean up every year.

• Paid Members

You're right, I couldn't handle watching George Fornby, Black Lace and Earnie the Fastest Milkman in the West clean up every year.
I liked Black Lace better when they moonlighted as Black Uhuru.

• Paid Members

It wouldn't work anyway, MOWO sounds shit. Sounds like a character from a cartoon on CBeebies.

That's the thing though, they are, they just don't call it that. I guess you could change the mobo's to the urban awards or something if you really don't want to mention colour but really, why bother?

They awards for music of a certain genre not for music of white origin thats why they don't call them the MOWO's.

I used to feel quite strongly that the MOBOs were divisive and effectively racist but ive changed my mind over the years, the name means very little nowadays and the awards themselves mean even less and ive just become far less touchy and uppity about racism. Plus, it is technically Music of Black Origin, so wheres the problem?

Classical music of the highest order there.

Archived