Are The MOBO'S Divisive?

David

• Paid Members

Classical music's almost entirely white, why not have something based on music from black origin?

Could you imagine the furore if there was a classical music award called the Music Of White Origin awards? Fucking Hell, it doesn't bear thinking about...
You're right, I couldn't handle watching George Fornby, Black Lace and Earnie the Fastest Milkman in the West clean up every year.
Classical music of the highest order there.
And now ladies and gentleman, Vladimir Jurowski conducts the London Philharmonic in their rendition of 'Agadoo'

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the Mobos are a bit odd.I have nothing against the Mobos, I'm certainly not against, but I believe that it is potentially segregating in its nature. It started off as being exclusively for black artists, and now that they've changed the criteria to "black origins", it somehow deems it more acceptable. I remember one year a white pop artist (was it Justin Beiber? can't remember now) won it, and it just came across to me as the "token white guy award" or something.It just seems odd because (a) how do you define music of black origin? and (b) why is there a award show for artists who already have a significant influence and presence in the modern scene?In regards to point a, yes there are certain styles that predominant came from a black origin, but now that music has evolved, it seems that many artist are given nominations for their music which is very difficult to define. This year Jesse J won several awards, but I wouldn't of necessarily called her music "black" in origin. Or is that just me?Ultimately I don't like the Mobos for two reasons. One its (potentially) hypocritical. If there was a MOWO award, then I bet many supporters of the MOBOs would consider it offensive. Secondly, this show DOES segregate the black community, which is dangerous. In some ways it's the equivalent of a black man walking into a room full of people, realizing no one has noticed him and screaming "Thats right... I'm black! You got a problem with that? I'm off to have a BLACK party with all my BLACK friends", and then storming out with everyone wondering "what was that all about?"Okay maybe my last paragraph was OTT, but this is an example of a group isolating themselves in some ironic attempt at gaining mainstream acceptance.

• Moderators

Does anyone go around calling them the Music of Black Origin Awards? Or do they just call them MOBOs? I think it's the latter. It's a recognisable brand, so they can't exactly change it without losing the "prestige" attached to the name. If they were every pointedly about celebrating black culture that's certainly not the thrust of the awards these days. They may as well be called the Urban Music Awards. It's gotta be generic and nebulous in definition to some extent as they'll just shift what they give awards to depending on what's popular and who they can get to turn up.So in summary, no they're not divisive because they don't stand for anything. They're just pop music awards with a leaning towards particular genres. And anyone who says they do is just using their name as a convenient excuse to try to grind their axe.

Does anyone go around calling them the Music of Black Origin Awards? Or do they just call them MOBOs? I think it's the latter. It's a recognisable brand, so they can't exactly change it without losing the "prestige" attached to the name. If they were every pointedly about celebrating black culture that's certainly not the thrust of the awards these days. They may as well be called the Urban Music Awards. It's gotta be generic and nebulous in definition to some extent as they'll just shift what they give awards to depending on what's popular and who they can get to turn up.So in summary, no they're not divisive because they don't stand for anything. They're just pop music awards with a leaning towards particular genres. And anyone who says they do is just using their name as a convenient excuse to try to grind their axe.

I've seen several places, both pro and against, refer to them as the Music of Black Origins. However after looking at the official site, it does appear they don't use the term "black origin" on their website directly, and instead use the term "urban."I.e."Launched in 1996, by founder and CEO Kanya King MBE, the MOBO Awards were the first Awards show in Europe to celebrate urban music. In our 16 year history, the MOBO Awards have, undoubtedly, played an instrumental role in elevating black music and culture to mainstream popular status in the UK."Very good point raised their Rockwell, and I think the above paragraph is very well written mission statement for the awards.And Im not sure if your comment was aimed at my, but I certainly have no axe to grind. Im just aware of the fine balance between celebrating your culture and being obnoxiously proud of it (which I wouldn't necessarily accuse the MOBOS of by the way).

Why do they need MOBO's?

Put on the music channels today and what music isn't black origin? Rap and R&B is now multi-race. Most people have accepted black origins in cluture today so why is it we need a MOBO? When black origins played a small part in society and the industry yes but not in 2011.

Nah, not aimed at you Andrew.. aimed more at things like the article in the OP, and people who raise the tired "Music of White Origin" point.

Ah okay. Mind you I think the MOWO concept is a valid point. Surely it would be racist to accept a MOBO but to condemn a MOWO?However in light of your point that MOBO has moved away from "black origin" in their, it does change the debate somewhat.

• Paid Members

I too am in the "used to think the concept of MOBO Awards was a bit racist when I was younger but kind of see the point now" camp, but if they're awards for music of black origin, where's the blues? That's the real segregation here, brothers and sisters.

As I say every fucking year to people who ask why there isn't a MOWO arard show, there is nothing stopping you from organising one.I agree with Seratonin, the MOBO's started after Craig David was snubbed at the brits (another award show I couldn't give a solitary fuck about) so were important for what was non mainstream music getting mainstream press. That isn't the case anymore. I think the MOBO's could be put to better use if they went back to championing non mainstream music, encouraging young artists to aspire above getting a dirt cheap vid shown on Channel AKA or U or whatever it is called now.

I compare the MOBOs to gay pride.

You spend a lifetime wanting equality and to be treated the same as everyone else, then for one week (or in the case of the MOBOs one night) effectively hold up a sign saying "Hey look everyone we actually are different!"

• Paid Members

the MOBO's started after Craig David was snubbed at the brits

Craig David? Jesus, that's like someone starting a Wrestling of Black Origin Award because Meltzer didn't give Cheex the 2002 Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award.

Whether it's a brand name or not, it still stands for what it stands for.

They organisers clealry make an effort to make the show black orientated even if the winners aren't black. I was actually looking for a MOBO thread to ask Jessie J's music is in anyway black origin, Lilly Allen makes the fantastic point, that if we're going for the "all music since beatles is of black origin" then why weren't Arctic Monkeys nominated?

I think the whole concept is stupid. All rock and roll is explicitly "of black origin". Jazz is "of black origin." The blues is "of black origin." With the exception of folk and country, it's tough to find popular music that isn't pretty heavily derived from "black origins." By creating an "urban music" awards show (except it's not, since they give out soul awards, and soul is not "urban" in the modern sense and also, I hate the term "urban music" anyway) that ignores that, the "black community" has effectively said "yeah, rock and roll started with Elvis. Fuck Ike Turner."

Archived