Dexter Season 6 **SPOILERS**

Steve Justice

• Paid Members
I love this show. Even with the annual lull I have felt it's been amazing.

My line of the century "give me something I can use" *opens draw of dildos*

I just can't agree with you Gordon (and you know as we've gone through this and previous Dexter threads together that I adore this show) that this season has been amazing. The first 4 eps were great, but from there it's gone downhill badly. The major problem with the season has been 'the twist'. The writers wrote themselves into a corner but simultaneously made Dexter into a messy and sloppy character. Other story arcs have been poor and a few ideas have been badly. However. this past ep was an improvement from the previous 3/4 eps and I do feel that the season can end strong. But will it save the season for me? We will have to wait and see.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I just can't agree with you Gordon (and you know as we've gone through this and previous Dexter threads together that I adore this show) that this season has been amazing. The first 4 eps were great, but from there it's gone downhill badly. The major problem with the season has been 'the twist'. The writers wrote themselves into a corner but simultaneously made Dexter into a messy and sloppy character. Other story arcs have been poor and a few ideas have been badly. However. this past ep was an improvement from the previous 3/4 eps and I do feel that the season can end strong. But will it save the season for me? We will have to wait and see.

I was discussing with the good lady some of the opinions expressed on here and on other forums over the disappointment people have been feeling. She doesn't do online discussion, so she only ever calls it as she sees it from TV. Her point was that Dexter comes across too confident and right from the get go she called that it would blow up oin his face. I think that is how I have viewed this season too. No disappointment over "the twist" which was written with ambiguity. No one knew for sure, it was either one way or the other.

I have found most of the episodes compelling. There has been a fair mix of comedy (which had been missing) and suspense. Dexter had become sloppy and over-confident and now comes the crisis.

The good lady also pointed out that Dexter is becoming more and more unstable - having full on arguments with a figment of his imagination. I get the feeling that Travis maybe getting away with this one and Dexter may not be getting his reward. Like the first guy to lose the Money in the Bank, it has to happen sooner or later...

Also there is trouble on the cards when everyone is on their own. Look at the climax of the Sopranos. This episode Quinn, Deb and Batista all went their seperate ways. Someone is going to go. Is Deb at risk from getting whacked at the meal with Matthews? Will Quinn sacrifice himself to save someone in jeopardy? Will Batista die at the hands of Travis and co? Or will no one die and all my speculation be for nothing?

• Paid Members

I was discussing with the good lady some of the opinions expressed on here and on other forums over the disappointment people have been feeling. She doesn't do online discussion, so she only ever calls it as she sees it from TV. Her point was that Dexter comes across too confident and right from the get go she called that it would blow up oin his face. I think that is how I have viewed this season too. No disappointment over "the twist" which was written with ambiguity. No one knew for sure, it was either one way or the other.

I have found most of the episodes compelling. There has been a fair mix of comedy (which had been missing) and suspense. Dexter had become sloppy and over-confident and now comes the crisis.

The good lady also pointed out that Dexter is becoming more and more unstable - having full on arguments with a figment of his imagination. I get the feeling that Travis maybe getting away with this one and Dexter may not be getting his reward. Like the first guy to lose the Money in the Bank, it has to happen sooner or later...

Also there is trouble on the cards when everyone is on their own. Look at the climax of the Sopranos. This episode Quinn, Deb and Batista all went their seperate ways. Someone is going to go. Is Deb at risk from getting whacked at the meal with Matthews? Will Quinn sacrifice himself to save someone in jeopardy? Will Batista die at the hands of Travis and co? Or will no one die and all my speculation be for nothing?

I do see what you are saying, but again i find trouble agreeing with one of the major points I was raising. You are saying Dexter has become too confident etc which is why he has been making these mistakes, but I just honestly think it's lazy writing in order to preserve story arcs. Last week when he was playing with his bloody knives as Travis was supposedly confronting the 'crazy' professor was not Dexter being overconfident, it was simply the writers creating a situation to where the twist would be revealed. Then as mentioned Dexter making stupid decisions like going into the basement when they was no possible way the Professor could be hiding down there with the table still over the trap door. Yet, as someone mentioned, it made Dexter feel like a cheap horror film.

Whilst I accept it's me being a little pedantic, it's still the writers being lazy for me and not an intentional story in trying to perceive Dex as over confident.

I do agree though that Dexter is starting to lose it and is obviously what the writers are attempting to show us. Obviously losing it with Harry this week was another sign of this and I liked the fact that he FINALLY called the police for help at the end of the episode. The problem is from my perspective Dexter can't continue on this path of killing the psycho's out there that Miami Metro are hunting and perhaps that's what the writers are aiming towards?

Sorry but I'm in the camp who feels this season feels like an incredible disappointment. The problem for me I feel is that they put too much faith in the "shock" of the Travis/Gellar twist, so the fact that it took 9 episodes to confirm what was highly suspected since episode 2/3 felt like a huge letdown when all along.... You were right and Dexter couldn't surprise you.

That's also what I feel has been missing. The surprise. The suspense. Brian at the end of episode 6 was incredible and I really didn't see it coming. But he was back for one episode, his situation was resolved, and he wasn't even mentioned in any episode since, meaning that his involvement was ultimately pointless. Harry wasn't featured at all in Episode 8, and when he returns in 9.... No mention of his being away, or any talk between the two about Brian's brief turn as Dexter's dark passenger.

One scene I really loved, was Dexter dropping his slides. That episode really ended with the feeling that Dexter's world was rocked and things could really spiral out of control from here....... Again, not been touched on since.

Quinn, while being a massive part of the last season, is now so much of a comedy character that if he were to die, it'd be absolutely no loss to the show.

I don't know what to make of the video game intern yet. The hand reveal while incredibly predictible (mostly due to the previously part at the beginning of that ep) was still appreciated to give him a little something...... But nothing yet as he just gets upset when Dexter slams his video game. I do wonder if Deb's psychiatrist will get more involved as with everything Deb is saying, she might pick up on something.....

I do have to say episode 10 was an improvement, and the final two ep's could finally redeem this season. Is it bad I kinda want Wormwood to hit the police station just for the massive upheavel and aftermath it will have?

• Paid Members

I dont follow tv shows online or anything, simply because shit will get spoiled, but reading this thread i seem to be in the minority, because i did not see the 'twist' coming at all, i wasnt expecting a twist either. My jaw dropped when it happened. Maybe im dull? Whatever, it blew my mind.

Computer program guy is definitly up to no good.

• Paid Members
The good. I loved Harry and Dex's interaction. Harry is such a brilliant character and brings the best out of Michael C Hall. Also, this storyline with Detective Matthew's and the call girl has me actually quite intrigued. Also, what's up with the intern? Why is he fascinated with Dexter? He has the hand from the ice truck killings but why? There's no way it's Rudy's son as speculated above. As mentioned he must have to been 10 years old to father someone that age. If it is, then it's ridiculous. Could it be a long lost brother? I doubt it, but it has me intrigued as well.

Aye to be honest, I pulled that theory out of my arse with little thought at all. I think there might be some connection between him and Brian, I think, but I've got a bad feeling it'll turn out that he's just a Serial Killer fan boy who figured out who Dexter is by looking at blogs and tracking IP addresses etc.

I was going to joke that it would be hilarious if Dexter had a flashback to the shipping crate again and then realised he had a SECOND brother in there but, thinking about it, Brian didn't kill their Dad until both he and Dexter were adults, so there's nothing to say that the Intern couldn't be a half brother born long after that.

As for the rest of the show, it's gone down to the level of Heroes and Prison Break where I'm just watching out of habit now. I think it might be time for a reboot to be honest. Move Dexter to a new location and get back to basics: He's the perfectly normal guy who likes to murder people. You could probably replace the entire supporting cast to be honest. None of them are really adding anything essential at the moment.

I do have to say episode 10 was an improvement, and the final two ep's could finally redeem this season. Is it bad I kinda want Wormwood to hit the police station just for the massive upheavel and aftermath it will have?

Nope. That would actually be a good way to set up a possible reboot. I'm not holding my breath though.

• Paid Members
That's also what I feel has been missing. The surprise. The suspense. Brian at the end of episode 6 was incredible and I really didn't see it coming. But he was back for one episode, his situation was resolved, and he wasn't even mentioned in any episode since, meaning that his involvement was ultimately pointless. Harry wasn't featured at all in Episode 8, and when he returns in 9.... No mention of his being away, or any talk between the two about Brian's brief turn as Dexter's dark passenger.

One scene I really loved, was Dexter dropping his slides. That episode really ended with the feeling that Dexter's world was rocked and things could really spiral out of control from here....... Again, not been touched on since.

I don't know what to make of the video game intern yet. The hand reveal while incredibly predictible (mostly due to the previously part at the beginning of that ep) was still appreciated to give him a little something...... But nothing yet as he just gets upset when Dexter slams his video game. I do wonder if Deb's psychiatrist will get more involved as with everything Deb is saying, she might pick up on something.....

Some great points above. However, Harry did appear in the episode with Brian. As Dexter was driving home Harry was at the side of the road hitch hiking and Dexter stops to let him in. He greats Dexter saying "Welcome home son..".

Also, a BRILLIANT point about the slides. What the fuck happened there? Although, this sort of links to Dexter's out of control behaviour so perhaps we don't need to see his slides and what they actually look like now?

• Paid Members

Looks like Matthews will be the casualty of this season (not in a dying sense). I wonder if they will open a coffee shop that he can frequent on site to annoy LaGuerta? #scrubswaytokeepcharacteraround Seriously though I loved Matthews' no bullshit approach to things and that he could keep LaGuerta in line so him going kind of takes the reins off of her.Also it looks set that we already know the big bad for next season but how will we get there? I really enjoyed this episode again (no surprise there) and the conclusion looks like it is going to be awesome.Anyone that saw the preview will know next weeks episode could be fucking epic drama.

That's also what I feel has been missing. The surprise. The suspense. Brian at the end of episode 6 was incredible and I really didn't see it coming. But he was back for one episode, his situation was resolved, and he wasn't even mentioned in any episode since, meaning that his involvement was ultimately pointless. Harry wasn't featured at all in Episode 8, and when he returns in 9.... No mention of his being away, or any talk between the two about Brian's brief turn as Dexter's dark passenger.One scene I really loved, was Dexter dropping his slides. That episode really ended with the feeling that Dexter's world was rocked and things could really spiral out of control from here....... Again, not been touched on since.I don't know what to make of the video game intern yet. The hand reveal while incredibly predictible (mostly due to the previously part at the beginning of that ep) was still appreciated to give him a little something...... But nothing yet as he just gets upset when Dexter slams his video game. I do wonder if Deb's psychiatrist will get more involved as with everything Deb is saying, she might pick up on something.....I do have to say episode 10 was an improvement, and the final two ep's could finally redeem this season. Is it bad I kinda want Wormwood to hit the police station just for the massive upheavel and aftermath it will have?

Some great points above. However, Harry did appear in the episode with Brian. As Dexter was driving home Harry was at the side of the road hitch hiking and Dexter stops to let him in. He greats Dexter saying "Welcome home son..". Also, a BRILLIANT point about the slides. What the fuck happened there? Although, this sort of links to Dexter's out of control behaviour so perhaps we don't need to see his slides and what they actually look like now?
Sorry missed this. I was actually referring to that the next episode after Brian "took over", Harry wasn't in it at all. We knew he was back from the end of ep 7, but was not featured at all in ep 8 which I found strange.Decent episode last night. This season could be worth saving yet.

Hmm I dunno, I can buy one nutter working for the police but two in the same department, thats a bit much, just how thick are they? and of course they will figure out Mr Gamesmaster is a looney, but Dex will get away with it.Am I the only one that misses Admiral Gellar? He just seemed more calculated and interesting to me, I'd rather it was him going up against Dex. Dont like the random incest story throw in either.Hopefully next week episodes ends on a high, I feel its lost abit in the last 3 eps, still better than most shit on TV though.

• Paid Members

Well, welcome back the Dexter that I love. An excellent episode that was finally well written and full of drama.So much happened and it's difficult to know where to begin?!I'll start with this 'incest' storyline. I actually love it, and I found it incredibly tense. I actually think it's a logical step in Deb's and Dex's relationship. Whilst I don't actually mean/think they hook up or anything, but Deb having those feeling is a distinct possibility. The difference here is that both of them grew up knowing full well that they were not blood related and that Dexter was in fact adopted. We've all seen Cruel Intentions right? It would have been a different story if they didnt know, but I could quite believe that Deb has been burying those feelings for many years. So, thumbs up from me (maybe I'm disturbed?).LaGuerta is going to go mega bitch next season. Can't wait to see Deb finally get one over on her.Matthews leaving (or most likely leaving) is a bit sad. He always commanded my attention and everytime he was on screen you knew it was important.Even Quinn and Batista's dull storyline picked up this week.Travis was brilliant and as mentioned Colin Hanks has done a brilliant job in his portrayal.Whilst the final episode will have to be some sort of epic finale to win me over with this season, this episode has gone along way to redeem some of it's downfalls.

Nice to see everyone seemed to enjoy it more this week, I half expected posts about Dexter being stupid in sending video texts to Travis or such.But yes really good episode, despite a few weak spots I've enjoyed the season overall. I wasn't surprised by the Deb/Dexter love angle at all, I wondered if they'd address this over the psychiatrist sessions since they seemed to be hinting at it. And I like it, it makes sense. Now the interesting thing is seeing where it goes, Dex is emotionally empty for the most part but its obvious he does care very much for her but its most likely Deb will try keeping it to herself but we'll see her feelings for him evolve next season cause she's not the type to bottle things up, she'll blurt it out at some point.

During the scene where Debs hugs Dexter after the 'Wormwood' incident, after looking at Debs expression I said to my missus "you don't think Deb's is in love with Dexter do you?", she looked at me with disgust and said "no, she just looked like that because of the problems they've been having and she was happy that they were hugging". How smug was I when I was right. IN YOUR FACE WIFE!Fairly good episode. Though I didn't quite buy the ending. That was a big ass explosion and Dexter would have been affected by it unless he was very deep underwater, which he wasn't.Who do you think 'computer geek' was posting the hand too? Dexter immediately comes to mind.

Archived