Dexter Season 6 **SPOILERS**

Steve Justice

• Paid Members
Whilst I really liked the ending, I have to admit that throughout that whole episode something didn't feel right. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it was Dexter getting upset and vowing revenge for Brother Sam. It just didn't sit right with me. Then for some bizarre reason I just got sick of hearing the name "brother Sam" over and over.

Then there were scenes involving Travis. Not a single thing was mentioned about the fact that there is someone onto him regarding all the murders. It was if that whole incident involving Dex questioning him never happened. EDIT:- Perhaps him letting the girl go is linked to what Dexter said to him in the car? Perhaps...

Obviously seeing Rudy at the end of this ep was a great turn and it could potentially lead to some great moments for the rest of the series.

I'm going to sound like a total wanker here but I thought the reason Dexter took it so personally was because Brother Sam represented everything Dexter WANTED to be: A killer who was able to beat the darkness inside them and become a good man. Seeing him getting gunned down by someone he'd only ever tried to help was enough to make Dexter turn away from Harry's code and embrace the darkness, which is why he's now seeing Brian.

That's how I see it anyway.

It just occurred to me but I wonder how Brian being "back" will play into the storyline about the girl from Heroes selling the Hand online?

Sorry for being picky, but didn't Harry basically say those very things to Dexter during the scene in the kitchen where he was getting upset?

I don't dispute the reasons why he became upset, I just felt it didn't sit right. It didn't feel natural, and I just got sick of hearing the name "brother Sam" over and over. Literally "Brother Sam" was mentioned about 30 times within a few minutes. Stupid moan I know, but it just got on my nerves. Then it was Dex's behaviour and the departments in general towards Brother Sam. I mean, before Dex got to know him, the department treated him like scum and that no-one could change their colours. Yet, Dex befriends him and all of sudden he is a saint to the department?

I just didn't really like the episode until the very end.

Really? Shit. I'm going to have to watch it again. I think the double shock of seeing Brian + the awesome trailer for next week made a lot of this episode immediately forgettable. I don't even remember the scene in the kitchen but it probably is where I got it from. Now I feel stupid.

Point taken about everybody changing their opinions on Sam though. Thinking about it, it was pretty unrealistic, even from Dexter, considering he was going to murder the guy at the start of the season.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Whilst I really liked the ending, I have to admit that throughout that whole episode something didn't feel right. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it was Dexter getting upset and vowing revenge for Brother Sam. It just didn't sit right with me. Then for some bizarre reason I just got sick of hearing the name "brother Sam" over and over.

Then there were scenes involving Travis. Not a single thing was mentioned about the fact that there is someone onto him regarding all the murders. It was if that whole incident involving Dex questioning him never happened. EDIT:- Perhaps him letting the girl go is linked to what Dexter said to him in the car? Perhaps...

Obviously seeing Rudy at the end of this ep was a great turn and it could potentially lead to some great moments for the rest of the series.

I'm going to sound like a total wanker here but I thought the reason Dexter took it so personally was because Brother Sam represented everything Dexter WANTED to be: A killer who was able to beat the darkness inside them and become a good man. Seeing him getting gunned down by someone he'd only ever tried to help was enough to make Dexter turn away from Harry's code and embrace the darkness, which is why he's now seeing Brian.

That's how I see it anyway.

It just occurred to me but I wonder how Brian being "back" will play into the storyline about the girl from Heroes selling the Hand online?

Sorry for being picky, but didn't Harry basically say those very things to Dexter during the scene in the kitchen where he was getting upset?

I don't dispute the reasons why he became upset, I just felt it didn't sit right. It didn't feel natural, and I just got sick of hearing the name "brother Sam" over and over. Literally "Brother Sam" was mentioned about 30 times within a few minutes. Stupid moan I know, but it just got on my nerves. Then it was Dex's behaviour and the departments in general towards Brother Sam. I mean, before Dex got to know him, the department treated him like scum and that no-one could change their colours. Yet, Dex befriends him and all of sudden he is a saint to the department?

I just didn't really like the episode until the very end.

Really? Shit. I'm going to have to watch it again. I think the double shock of seeing Brian + the awesome trailer for next week made a lot of this episode immediately forgettable. I don't even remember the scene in the kitchen but it probably is where I got it from. Now I feel stupid.

Point taken about everybody changing their opinions on Sam though. Thinking about it, it was pretty unrealistic, even from Dexter, considering he was going to murder the guy at the start of the season.

Read the Jimmy Saville thread - in there someone comments that in spite of most peoples lives, the rose tinted glasses go on. Granted there are exceptions but Brother Sam had done a great job of turning himself around.

• Paid Members

I don't disagree that Brother Sam turned things around in his life. I really liked him as a character. In the end, we as the viewer saw a changed man by the good deeds he was doing. Miami Homicide did not see this and during Brother Sam's introduction to the series, he was being treated as scum by Batista. Yet when word got around he was shot, news spread like it was Miami Homicide's own.

Anyway, that was only a very minor gripe of mine. I just think 3/4 of that episode was quite lazy (and i've NEVER said that about Dexter before). However, I think the death of Brother Sam was a neccesity for what is about to come, and I think what will come is something epic in nature.

• Paid Members
I don't disagree that Brother Sam turned things around in his life. I really liked him as a character. In the end, we as the viewer saw a changed man by the good deeds he was doing. Miami Homicide did not see this and during Brother Sam's introduction to the series, he was being treated as scum by Batista. Yet when word got around he was shot, news spread like it was Miami Homicide's own.

Anyway, that was only a very minor gripe of mine. I just think 3/4 of that episode was quite lazy (and i've NEVER said that about Dexter before). However, I think the death of Brother Sam was a neccesity for what is about to come, and I think what will come is something epic in nature.

I'm glad the episode was slow until the end. All through I just couldn't help thinking "oh man...they've lost it..." but then WHAMMY!!!

I'm trying to think of a time I was more shocked by a shocker in smoething than this episode. Obviously Rita's death is up there but before that maybe the ending of the original Saw film? That's going back some.

Is this the first time one of dexters 'friends' / people in his life has died and it's general consensus that we wanted them to live?

I liked the Brother Sam character, i was really hoping although was quite certain that he wouldnt that he'd live through the series. I can understand why dexter killed his killer, he looked like he was going to honour brother sams wish, which i agreed with but when the guy began laughing about it, i was glad dexter killed him. I like that this has setup for the return and think they worked it really well.

My partner though is still of the opinion Dexter should have left sams killer alive, since it was his last wish but personally i think dexter did the right thing. It'll be interesting to see if this leads to the complete loss of Harry or whether we'll have a situation with the 2 of them acting like dexters conscience.

• Paid Members

God I hate doing this but what a serious let down again. The episode to me was a complete non event. The trailer looked so great and for me it was just full of lazy writing. These past two episodes to me have been completely flat.

The episode felt like it was written as just a throw away episode stuck in the middle of the series to pass by time till the real good stuff started. Something ain't right and I can't put my finger on it.

When he confronted Jonah it was just a complete shambles. Jonah's explanation of not mentioning anything to the FBI by the fact he knew Dexter's real identity was awful. So his family saw Dexter's face in the paper, yet decided to keep it quiet as "you were trying to help us"? What? You had a random man in your house masquerading as someone else? Had plenty of time to bring their father to justice (in their eyes) but just sat around and waited till he did a runner (once again, in their eyes) and could pop up at anytime. Sorry, I just don't buy it at all.

I hate criticising Dexter, I never once said a bad word about the show in 6 seasons..until now. Gutted. Although, i must add, that this season still has been excellent bar the drop in standard in writing these past two episodes. After watching next week's trailer, I'm hoping it will pick up again.

• Paid Members
Might I suggest not watching the trailer and just enjoying the episode for what it is. Of course the trailer is going to big it up, films do the same, and I always feel like it's never as good as the trailer made out. I never watch trailers for anything anymore.

The trailer did not raise my expectations for this episode. My expectations of Dexter is brilliance every week. Doesn't matter what the trailer was like, this was a let down in Dexter standards. Simple as that really. In the past the majority of time the episodes have lived up to the trailer.

• Paid Members
I have to agree on that point. I think a power struggle between Brian and Harry would have been great.

Whilst the episode didn't seem to suggest it when Brian disappeared (I prefer to call him Rudy though), that may still happen at some point. Perhaps a scenario where he has the choice to kill Travis or let him him live.

I don't know what the viewing figures are like in the US for this series but I have a feeling they must be dwindling if the writers decided to throw in the 2 best antagonists from previous seasons into one show.

I was watching the first season about a month ago and the difference in quality in the dialogue between Dexter and Brian is staggering.

Deb is still annoying and it's weird how she is meant to be a "supercop" when the script to call for it but quite dim and defeatist other times.

• Paid Members
I don't know what the viewing figures are like in the US for this series but I have a feeling they must be dwindling if the writers decided to throw in the 2 best antagonists from previous seasons into one show.

Viewing figures are following a consistent trend for the previous two seasons - slowly rising following a strong opening. The later half of each season has really hit highs so these next few episodes will see if the trend continues. As I understand it, Dexter is the highest rated show on Showtime.

I enjoyed the episode as a whole more than last week but whereas last week ended on a high this week I felt a bit flat. I think I wanted more out of the Dexter/Rudy partnership and like others wanted a Harry/Rudy showdown.

I know it is asking a lot but I have hopes that the door isn't closed on Jonah and now I am completely torn as to whether The Professor is real or not.

Next weeks tease

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

makes me think he is real however is that just what they want me to think??!!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I love this bloody show still and did enjoy this week.

Archived