Wrestling inconsistencies that bothered you as a kid

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
I always used to ge tannoyed that in Hardcore matches they would batter eachother over the head with every weapon under the sun but in a normal match if you were hit by a foreign object = immediate pinfall victory.

Already a step ahead of ya:

Another relating to foreign objects: a wrestler could be incapacitated with a chair shot or a sledgehammer shot etc. But as soon as it becomes a hardcore rules match, they can withstand dozens.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I always used to ge tannoyed that in Hardcore matches they would batter eachother over the head with every weapon under the sun but in a normal match if you were hit by a foreign object = immediate pinfall victory.

Already a step ahead of ya:

Another relating to foreign objects: a wrestler could be incapacitated with a chair shot or a sledgehammer shot etc. But as soon as it becomes a hardcore rules match, they can withstand dozens.

But in a hardcore match, they went in expecting the extra damage.

Drop me in a UFC match without any warning, and I'd probably get murdered. Drop me in one with preparation time, and....well, I'd probably still get murdered in fairness, but I might be able to take a little more punishment.

It's why referees always go down if hit by a chair, even if they're a wrestler - they weren't expecting the fight.

My big one was much more simple. How come Shawn Michaels, when he went back to being a heel, suddenly became a coward? He'd shown strength and fortitude before...did he forget it?

That in a Elimination Match (Four Corners, Survivor Series, Gauntlet etc) the wrestler would be pinned easily by something simple happening, but in a one fall match it sometimes takes a few finishers and a swerve to get pinned. And how they pretend that Heat, Velocity, Metal etc hasn't really been pre recorded and that they pretend that people are just there to see a couple of Val Venis and Scotty 2 Hotty sqauash matches.

Some decent points there, which in turn have brought another 2 to the forefront of my mind:

4 corners tag matches. Matches in which only 2 participants are allowed in the ring, and where the commentators clearly state that anyone can pin anyone, and that (if it

When a wrestler took advantage of a referee not seeing say, a chair shot in a normal rules match and get the winning pinfall, and the rest of the crew would just go along with it such as the sound manager, the ring announcer announcing the winner of the match. Surely they could have informed the referee about the use of the chair?

Reminds me the first time I watched a wrestling match. It was some old WCW event.

Anyway I was watching the amazing Lex Luger match and seeing this bloke dominate his opponent, only for said opponent to smack him with something behind the refs back and win.

Disgusted I turned round to my Dad and simply said "They are going to check the replay... arn't they?"

Innocence :)

When someone who's "not supposed to be here" does a run in through the crowd in their wrestling gear, it makes no sense.

In the same idea, how "Surpise" run ins can have music, an updated titan-tron video, and name plate queued up for them.

My big one was much more simple. How come Shawn Michaels, when he went back to being a heel, suddenly became a coward? He'd shown strength and fortitude before...did he forget it?

I wasn't a kid but a similar one to this was Austin the night after Wrestlemania 17 in the cage match with The Rock, the night before he'd been the never give up Texas Rattlesnake, even when he was twatting Rock with the chair it was still basically the same Austin character but just obsessed with being WWF Champion

Then the next night he taps out after being in the sharpshooter for about 2 seconds, it wound me up like fuck at the time

When in a Royal Rumble/Battle Royal, a group of wrestlers would team up and try and push out someone the size of Yokozuna, and when it didn't work go back to fighting each other. Yeah, cos it'll work better with less of you!

Heck, whilst I'm on the subject of the Rumble, when a tag team are the only 2 in the ring, so they start fighting instead of waiting for the next person and double teaming them!

• Paid Members
Heck, whilst I'm on the subject of the Rumble, when a tag team are the only 2 in the ring, so they start fighting instead of waiting for the next person and double teaming them!

Not the Steiner Brothers. Werent they supposed to as well, but made the call in the ring to change the plans. They take forever to get rid of Samu, and Vince on commentary keeps saying things like "it looks like they dont want to throw him out" and "are they going to go at it or not". Then Samu just throws himself over the top rope. Havent seen it in ages, so maybe my memories a bit funny with it. Even as a kid I thought it looked completely odd.

Not the Steiner Brothers. Werent they supposed to as well, but made the call in the ring to change the plans. They take forever to get rid of Samu, and Vince on commentary keeps saying things like "it looks like they dont want to throw him out" and "are they going to go at it or not". Then Samu just throws himself over the top rope. Havent seen it in ages, so maybe my memories a bit funny with it. Even as a kid I thought it looked completely odd.

In Rick's shoot he says they wanted them to fight but they refused before the match, don't know if they told them to do it anyway, obviously it didn't happen regardless

• Paid Members

Re : the Rumble debate. Yes, the one everyone seems to remember is that Andre eliminated himself in 1989, yet Savage in 1992 was allowed back in.

How about - Vader in 1996 threw Shawn Michaels out of the ring but as Vader was already out the elimination was "illegal" and Michaels was allowed back in.

Quietly forgotten that one, haven't they? Quite a few lads have been tossed (heh) over the last couple of years by people already eliminated and they've let it stand, including Shawn himself by Kurt Angle in 2005.

Rumbles/battle royals confuse me anyway. Guys spend ages struggling with opponents wedged up against the ropes, and that never actually works. All successful tosses (heh) are real quick grab-type throws, sneaking up from behind, ducking and letting momentum send people over or impacts like dropkick/superkick/clothesline. Logically no one should ever try and get underneath their opponents legs or fireman carry an enemy when they are near enough to grab the ropes, because it never bloody works. But they keep doing it.

Mine was seeing Jake absolutely gutted that Earthquake had squashed Damien but then was quite happy to team with him at Survivor Series.

Yeah, this one for me too, as a kid. But then I've retconned my logic to think that Damien being killed sent Roberts completely over the edge into insanity (cold and calculated but madness none the less) to the point he didnt really know friend from foe anyway. Taking on the Undertaker as a mate at that point isn't really the act of a sane human being either.

Back to Rumbles, it always bothered me as a kid how often babyfaces would save each other from elimination in the Royal Rumble or help each other against heels. In 1990 and 1991 especially the commentary didn't help either when Monsoon for instance hoped aloud that the next entrant would be "some help" for the baby getting double-teamed. It just bothered me that they would make such a big deal of "every man for himself" when it blatently often still was "goodies vs baddies." Well, except that Hogan, he didn't seem to give much of a shit.

Paradoxically though it always bothered me when people would fight each other in the Rumble, just a mere two months after tagging together in Survivors. I GENUINELY THOUGHT THEY WERE MATES. Like, "c'mon Warrior, of all the guys you could have hit, NOT SHAWN!!! He's one of your WARRIORS!"

Simpler times.

Archived