Wrestling inconsistencies that bothered you as a kid

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
I think it's DDT's and Piledrivers for me. Why, for example, when Jake Roberts or Jerry Lawler did it that it would literally kill their opponent. But it was just part of a repetoire for other Wrestlers

That can be said of loaaaads of classic finishing holds though. Why is Hogan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
When heel tag teams would switch behind the refs back without tagging while being completely able to tag. Always annoyed me.

Neither of these things annoy me these days, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyways.

That sort of thing had me eating out of their hands when I was a kid, and so did this other thing. The above happening, and then the babyfaces getting a tag behind the referee's back and it not being allowed. I'd have thought that was a proper annoyance!

That used to annoy me in a good way, in that it built my desire to see them win. The heel tag thing made sense sometimes, like when they'd have the babyface in a submission and they'd switch illegally to avoid letting him out of it. It was when they could clearly just make a tag but they'd cheat for no reason or, even worse, when one of them go up behind the ref and clap so the ref heard a tag. That took more effort than a tag!

It used to and still bothers me why wrestlers would be in wrestling gear during a promo/ interview and then not wrestle on the show. Still actually annoys me. I know it is normally due to wrestling on a sub show, but is it that hard to change back to steet gear for a segment on raw etc if your not wrestling

My gripe was always ... why did fellas like Billy Kidman need to do a shooting star press, when surely a simple splash would have exactly the same effect, i.e. the same weight falling on them. :/

Same with moonsaults etc.

I'll agree with the Shooting Star.

But in my mind with the Moonsault, the momentum is driving towards the opponent, same as a swanton or 450.

I always thought the Bushwhackers' battering ram was shit, and couldn't work out how it was supposed to hurt, given they werent travelling all that fast. I reasoned that a basic clothesline would hurt more given that the recipient would be running into it at full force.

On that note, I still don't get irish whips. Specifically, why the receiver has to bounce off the ropes

My gripe was always ... why did fellas like Billy Kidman need to do a shooting star press, when surely a simple splash would have exactly the same effect, i.e. the same weight falling on them. :/

Same with moonsaults etc.

I always put that down to if they had to do a SSP or something they hit their opponent with more momentum as they had to speed up to do it so then it hit them harder.

Shooting stars look visually miles more impressive, and therefore must hurt more. Plus there's the added momentum that comes with the rotation. Granted, most of that is absorbed by the knees of the perpetrators of the move, but it still looks cool. Even if they have similar effects, the shooting star is mainly a babyface move, and they are out to impress and please the crowds as much as possible.

• Paid Members

The WWF title being called the WWF title, without the word 'world' or anything. So you'd have a WWF Intercontinental title, a WWF European champion and so on, so they were a champion of not only the WWF, but a fucking continent as well, rather than the top guy just being a champion of the WWF, and nothing else.

Kids are stupid.

That in a Elimination Match (Four Corners, Survivor Series, Gauntlet etc) the wrestler would be pinned easily by something simple happening, but in a one fall match it sometimes takes a few finishers and a swerve to get pinned. And how they pretend that Heat, Velocity, Metal etc hasn't really been pre recorded and that they pretend that people are just there to see a couple of Val Venis and Scotty 2 Hotty sqauash matches.

• Paid Members

I remember being 10 and watching Shotgun and being extremely confused as to why thousands of people turned up to watch D'lo Brown vs. Mideon. :D

I always used to ge tannoyed that in Hardcore matches they would batter eachother over the head with every weapon under the sun but in a normal match if you were hit by a foreign object = immediate pinfall victory.

Why the referee would take it upon himself to kick the heels hands off the ropes when they were trying to block a sunset flip. I always thought the heel grabbing the ropes should force a rope break but instead it was somehow construed as the heel cheating? That's the one that immediately came to mind.

Another one that still annoys me how two guys can have a match on TV taking 10 minutes or less with one pinning the other yet they could have the same match on PPV and it takes 20 mins for the same result.

Also tag matches why they would be the same length surely the more people the less time your in the ring = the longer you have in the tank unless something drastic happens which it normally doesnt

Archived