Wrestling inconsistencies that bothered you as a kid

King Pitcos

We all moan like bastards about wrestling now, but as a kid, back when you still enjoyed it, what annoyed you about it? Or what did you just think "that doesn't make sense"?

For me, the ending of SummerSlam '93. After two years of watching people get pissed off if they beat a champion by count-out or DQ because it meant they'd not won, here was Luger celebrating on everyone's shoulders because Yokozuna didn't beat the ten-count. It didn't make any sense to me.

1993NovWWFMagazine.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
One that always confused me was that if you hit a dropkick it doesn't hurt, but if you miss it, it does.

One of the Apter mags did a column explaining that. Apparently if you hit the dropkick, you can plan to spring off the other guy, control your landing and brace for impact. If you miss, you wind up hitting the ground at an unplanned angle.

• Paid Members

When a wrestler took advantage of a referee not seeing say, a chair shot in a normal rules match and get the winning pinfall, and the rest of the crew would just go along with it such as the sound manager, the ring announcer announcing the winner of the match. Surely they could have informed the referee about the use of the chair?

Another relating to foreign objects: a wrestler could be incapacitated with a chair shot or a sledgehammer shot etc. But as soon as it becomes a hardcore rules match, they can withstand dozens.

For me the things that pissed me off were seeing the same things happen over and over again. Like when somebody throws somebody in to the ropes, they bend to go for a back body drop and then they get kicked in the face. What annoyed me even more was the double clothesline. It happened in every match in the early 90's. Even as a kid, believing everything was real I figured that surely they'd be able to avoid shit like that because it happened to everybody else and so they could be ready. And don't get me started on refs not being able to hear double teams in tag matches......

I think I mentioned it before, but watching Summerslam 96 at the time and in particular the Boiler Room Brawl match. We were told the winner of the match was the first person to touch the urn, never touched with your hands, so when Paul Bearer turned on Taker and hit him with the urn, that was touching and therefore Undertaker won the match. Does that make sense?

When heel tag teams would switch behind the refs back without tagging while being completely able to tag. Always annoyed me.

Neither of these things annoy me these days, but I thought I'd throw this out there anyways.

That sort of thing had me eating out of their hands when I was a kid, and so did this other thing. The above happening, and then the babyfaces getting a tag behind the referee's back and it not being allowed. I'd have thought that was a proper annoyance!

Archived