UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh it's a weird situatin, people were worried it would go short and it did. 64 seconds, i can't fucking believe it.

I'm abit gutted we didn't get the Fox feed, if id known we were getting something else for sure id have wait till tomorrow. Still, we got to see the good stuff.

JDS wow! not much of a fight, so i dont know if it's the showcase the UFC wanted, Cain just got caught and it was game over. That's what happens in MMA, i'll be interested to see the feedback.

• Paid Members

yeh i know it's a 7 year deal, but still...64 seconds isn't really advertising value for money, which ironically is what the UFC does provide more than any other combat sport.

It's a shame the Guida/Henderson fight didn't go onto Fox because it was fucking tremendous, what a battle. I always say that if a guy can nullify Guida's wrestling you have fireworks, and that's exactly what happened. The fight had everything.

I can't really give a full judgement on the Fox treatment because of the lousy fucking feed we got, felt like after all the build-up we got a second rate broadcast. Still, i'll get me a copy of the Fox one and see how it was.

What happened to KID Yamamoto?? he has to be one of the biggest disappointments in recent history, the guy has everything it takes to be a superstar he just doesn't seem to be the same guy that fought in Japan, that aggressive nature seems to have dried up, Uyenoyama had him on the defensive and it ended with KID afraid to throw strikes because of the fear of the takedown. Ever since he tried out for the Olympics he hasnt been the same fighter :( not taking anything away from Uyenoyama though, he looked tremendous.

• Paid Members

So glad we got the Guida/Henderson fight, that deserved to be on TV. Edgar vs Henderson is gonna be a hell of a fight.

Dos Santos KOing Cain like that was a shock. Even though we all know how hard JDS hits I really never expected a KO in just over a minute. Chuffed for Dos Santos, he's probably my favourite heavyweight after Big Nog. Great to see him get the title, you could see how much it meant to him.

Interesting to see how Cain comes back from that. It's one of them things where all he can do is get back in the gym and keep at it. Who knows what would have happened had the fight gone longer, we'll never know. JDS can do that to anyone if he lands a bomb.

Overall a good way to kick off the FOX deal i thought. Started off with a bang. Then again i'm basing that of the version of the show we got. To the FOX viewers tuning in and getting one fight that lasted a minute and a load of waffling it might have seemed a bit flat. I'll have to watch the US version and see. Would have liked to have got the studio stuff but at the same time Guida/Bendo deserved to make the air more than Brock chatting shit in a suit imo.

I thought the show was awesome however my pc screwed up and I had to watch the whole of the prelims with no sounds which wasn't good. Was so happy when I switche over to Premier Sports at 2am just to hear some sound.

Initial thoughts:

First fight was an absolute sleeper but glad Rosa won and he looked in so much better shape

Pierce Vs Bradley was a great war and Pierce got the right decision

Bruce Leeroy looked brilliant at Bantamweight and manhandled Escovedo who just didnt seem like he turned up

Very unfortunate Headbutt which put down Mackens and should of been a no contest

Kid Yamamoto is a major disappointement and wouldn't be surprised if he got cut unless they want him on the Japan card

Johnsons Ko of Harvison was nasty

Swanson totally blew his gameplan and after looking good in the 1st must of been majorly pissed at how it ended

Poirers submission was awesome and he really looked great, I expect big things from him

Hendo Vs Guida was just an epic war which gave the fans everything they expected and more. So happy for Hendo and think he is going to cause Edgar real problems

JDS knocking Cain out in 64 seconds was the only prediction of the whole night that I got right. I really don't see anyone being able to give JDS much problems so I think he will be the champ for a while. Did anyone else notice the massive silence after the fight was stopped? The crowd just didn't make any noise as obviously a majority of them was routing for Cain. JDS is just such a humble guy and really deserves everything he has achieved.

Roll on UFC 139 next Saturday night!

Cain seemed to have a good strategy, with throwing leg kicks for the outside, he should have not have traded hands with JDS that recklessly and only thrown punches to set up takedowns.

I was chuffed JDS won, think I may have woke half my road up with my big mouth, JDS is the best boxer at Heavyweight by quite a margin, even Overeem would be fucked if you took knees and leg kicks out of it. Even then I could see JDS knocking Overeem out.

Lesnar should be happy with this, I would pick JDS to beat him, but he has more of a chance of taking down JDS and keeping him there than he did Cain. I expect Cain to fight Mir if he gets past Big Nog.

I expect this to lead towards a rematch between Cain and JDS sometime late next year, they are both a notch above everyone else in my opinion.

The prelims from what I saw were pretty sweet, Hendo vs Guida would be notched up as a fight of the year contender if they had not been so many instant classics this year.

• Paid Members

The only English prelim I've seen is the Harvison fight. I had to endure the rest in Spanish.

I heard about the Premier Sports feed being different from the Fox one so I watched Guida/Bendo on Premier, then watched a Fox rip for the rest. The Fox show looked very nice and polished, everything was smooth. I hate to say it because I'm gonna get some stick, but they showed a Top 5 Heavyweight Ranking too. Although Brock ranking above Overeem I thought was out ;)

No complaints about the main event, it was tense as fuck, that extra minute they had to kill before the announcements was torture. So happy for JDS, you can't dislike the guy, hearing about his injury makes it all the more better aswell, whataguy.

Guida/Bendo was outstanding. They really should have put it on Fox, the wasn't really a good reason not to.

Great start to the proceedings!

EDIT - One judge score the Rosa fight 28-28? What the fuck?!

Really great card in my opinion. Happy JDS won, was watching the build-up on premier sports and he comes across as a really humble guy. It will be interesting to see what the ratings are but it should have been a huge success for fox and UFC. I know the main event was short but regular views don't care about who has the best guard, who has the best ground technique etc etc they want to see people get knocked out and they were given that.

Archived