UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't think it's a good idea to put Dana on the panel again. Sure he's the face of the company and people know who he is, but his analysis didn't come over too good and he made a collisal error by ragging on Cain's gameplan instead of praising his new champ. May the fight ending quickly pissed him off and he thought he needed to make excuses but he got it wrong there.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah that drove me nuts too. I was expecting more of an 'Intro to MMA' at the start aswell.The little clip they showed didn't really give much info to the masses, add on the fact that the fight was very short, I bet a lot of new viewers came away confused as to what the sport is.

Guida vs Bendo was everything you'd expect it to be and more. Great fight for a casual terrestrial viewer tuning in for the first time and true fight of the year candidate.

Thought JDS vs Cain fight got stopped early, but purely cause one of JDS' punches seemed to bring him round just as McCarthy stopped it but then I saw Cain's "Cheers for that mate, he was kicking my arse" response to the ref and all was forgiven.

Great first show for the masses. I'd love to see UFC take things to the next level especially after some woeful PPV buyrates of late.

I don't think it's a good idea to put Dana on the panel again. Sure he's the face of the company and people know who he is, but his analysis didn't come over too good and he made a collisal error by ragging on Cain's gameplan instead of praising his new champ. May the fight ending quickly pissed him off and he thought he needed to make excuses but he got it wrong there.

It's reasons like this that I firmly believe that the UFC need a "front man" who isn't Dana. As I said before, Randy Couture is the man for the job.

• Paid Members

Yeah Randy would be ideal for that type of role. Lorenzo Fertitta would be good aswell but I don't think he's that into being on camera all the time, seems to like being a behind the scenes figure. But before the Rio show he did some media stuff and he came across very well.

I don't think Dana will wanna let anyone else be the face of the company tbh. I like Dana most of the time and its clear he genuinely loves the sport but I do think he secretly loves the kind of celeb status he's got from it. I think he'd hate to see someone else take his place in that role.

I don't think Dana will wanna let anyone else be the face of the company tbh. I like Dana most of the time and its clear he genuinely loves the sport but I do think he secretly loves the kind of celeb status he's got from it. I think he'd hate to see someone else take his place in that role.

That's where the problem lies. White won't give up the semi-celebrity status he has now.

That's where the problem lies. White won't give up the semi-celebrity status he has now.

Me and a friend swore that the only action figure available at UFC 138 at the stands was one of Dana.

He loves the publicity, I think he does a excellent job, he just needs to calm down and think before he says. He only does it from time to time but sometimes he just goes too far, the comments about Cain after the fight on Saturday where totally counter productive to effective promoting.

Slagging Cain not only made Cain look like shit but what did it say about JDS, he is a fighter who won because he beat a man with a stupid gameplan? It might be true but as a promotor he was a bit too honest.

That's kinda the issue with the ufc gameplan, I reckon dana expected cain to win that and in his head was planning ahead to the next fights based on that. JDS winning wasn't what he expected and thus not what he'd planned for, so he's pissed off with Cain. Especially for losing that quickly.

• Paid Members

i got the impression Dana was not happy when he was putting the belt around JDS's waist. There's no doubt the fight was a disappointment. The finish was exciting and all, but i think Dana (and many others) thought that these 2 were going to deliver a heavyweight classic for the ages and it just didn't happen.

• Paid Members

right, ill keep this in here because some people still might not have seen it...

Henderson-Edgar, who wins?

i'll bet the farm on Henderson, i just don't really see a path to victory for Edgar.

i'll bet the farm on Henderson, i just don't really see a path to victory for Edgar.

Where have we hard that before from numerous people I wonder? Oh yeah, before virtually every Frankie Edgar fight! :laugh:

I was guilty of saying the same before his fights with Penn & Maynard. I will never bet against Edgar again. Ever.

Archived