UFC on FOX I discussion

PowerButchi

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

JDS is the man for pulling that off with an injury like that. Tremendous. One of the nicest guys in MMA and he can rip your head off.

I love the fact that he was originally brought in to lose to Werdum and no-one knew who he was. While guys like Velasquez and Carwin were being called future champs after a handful of fights, JDS had no hype and now he's beat both of them guys convincingly and has the gold. I'm a big fan of Cain and he'll be back in the title hunt soon enough but it's great to see Dos Santos with the title.

Only problem is and I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here, if he beats the Lesnar/Overeem winner who does he fight next? He's already pretty much cleaned out the division on his way up to the title shot. He's beat Werdum, Struve, Cro Cop, Yvel, Gonzaga, Nelson, Carwin and Velasquez, and all very convincingly, mostly KOs. Who's left after Lesnar/Overeem? It's pretty much all rematches.

Wouldn't that put it lower than the Kimbo Slice Elite XC fight too? Granted Kimbo has charisma by the bucket load and had garnered a lot of mainstream media attention where as the one thing this fight was missing was that type of charisma that would draw Joe Casual in, but still not the best news at all. I assume they had strong competition?

• Paid Members

Here is MMA Junkie's report of the viewing figures.

JDS is the man for pulling that off with an injury like that. Tremendous. One of the nicest guys in MMA and he can rip your head off.

I love the fact that he was originally brought in to lose to Werdum and no-one knew who he was. While guys like Velasquez and Carwin were being called future champs after a handful of fights, JDS had no hype and now he's beat both of them guys convincingly and has the gold. I'm a big fan of Cain and he'll be back in the title hunt soon enough but it's great to see Dos Santos with the title.

Only problem is and I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here, if he beats the Lesnar/Overeem winner who does he fight next? He's already pretty much cleaned out the division on his way up to the title shot. He's beat Werdum, Struve, Cro Cop, Yvel, Gonzaga, Nelson, Carwin and Velasquez, and all very convincingly, mostly KOs. Who's left after Lesnar/Overeem? It's pretty much all rematches.

It's probably a good thing JDS will take some time off to rehab his knee because as you said, the competition is pretty thin after Brock/Overeem. If Mir beats Nog who does he then fight? Can't imagine they'll match him up with Carwin or Roy again. I should think we'll see the arrival of Werdum, Big Foot, Cormier and Barnett. Otherwise were looking at alot of rematches. I don't think guys like Browne, Barry and Kongo are at the same level.

• Paid Members

JDS cleaning out the division before he ruled it is an interesting way to look at it. He had a tougher root up than Cain for sure. I think a fight with Mir makes perfect sense though if Mir beats Nog again. That fight would have an awesome story behind it.

• Paid Members
JDS cleaning out the division before he ruled it is an interesting way to look at it. He had a tougher root up than Cain for sure. I think a fight with Mir makes perfect sense though if Mir beats Nog again. That fight would have an awesome story behind it.

Yeah if Mir beats Nog again I'm gonna be counting the days until Dos Santos exacts some brutal revenge for his sensei.

Never watched MMA before, but I caught a download of this just because of the hype and I liked it. Doubt I could watch a whole Pay-Per-View of it, but a short undercard match and then hype for the main event seemed to work for me. I liked Guida, but it was apparent that the other fella was the winner - and I know nothing of the rules. The other guy just looked better, Guida was reckless and while it was entertaining - it won't earn you victories.

Liked the build to dos Santos vs. Velasquez - it really put over both fighters and I loved the presentation - it did seem really american though. Much like watching Baseball does. Either way, I'm now a dos Santos fan. He seems like such a nice guy but he can kiss arse at the same time - he's the perfect babyface. If dos Santos vs. Lesnar eventually happens - I'll look forward to it and actively seek it out as I know both of them, but any other UFC - I'll download if I manage to catch it.

• Paid Members

Bit gutted we didn't get the Fox feed, I was really looking forward to seeing the 'in-studio' production & how the general feel of it all came across. Getting Guida/Henderson made up for it though, absolutely belting fight. Really looking forward to Bendo/Edgar

.Did anyone see the UFC starting to introduce those rankings that me & Mike were on about a week or so ago? Top five seems to be how they're going at the moment...

Didn't see that? Was it on the Fox broadcast? Top 5 makes sense tbh as it's not an information overload for new fans & still lets the UFC play fast & loose with the rest of the division.

Yeah, it was on the FOX broadcast. They had a graphic up with Velasquez at #1, Dos Santos at #2, Lesnar at #3, Overeem at #4 & Carwin at #5.

As I said before (and I think you did too Mike) it'll be far from prescriptive, but it really had to happen if they're looking to keep new fans interested.

• Paid Members

Turns out the show actually did 5.7 million viewers. The original figure was a composite of 9pm in every time zone, rather than the actual same hour (ie 9pm east coast, 6pm west coast), so it only actually included the UFC east coast audience and other shows in other places.)

Archived