The Lucha Libre Thread

Vamp

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just got done watching episode 2 of season 2 and I saw:

- One Mexican wrestler out of nine "luchadors".

- A terrible segment of Sexy Star being tied up by some fat lad who was off school.

- A badass biker debut in a vignette only to job in his debut after teasing the second 450 splash of the night. And being slagged off by a terrible commentator.

- Another terrible woman's segment, this one was a 'badass' called Kobra Moon. Yes, Cobra with a K.

- A three on two main event where they never pointed out it was three on two, had to figure that out myself.

- Rey Misterio Jr. talking some hammy shit about masks.

For all the positive talk about this company, this show was fucking dire!

Right. No more nice things for you, young man.

- Agreed on the overabundance of Americans, but this was the settling episode after the big premiere.

- Sexy Star has been pushed as a proper role model superheroine, while Marty the Moth had one of the best character-based slowburn storylines in the first season, degenerating from goofy jobber to full-on sex pest. Noone knows who his " sister" is yet, so there's more reveals to come.

- It's Justin Gabriel. Skip.

- Internal 15-year-old me thinks replacing Cs with Ks is awesome. Karry on.

- Everyone knows there's three Disciples of Death. Everyone knows Catrina is heel and Puma and Pentagon are face. The slo mo corridor intros showed three Disciples. Pay attention.

- Rey went on about the traditional respect and heritage of the mask, integrated himself into the Lucha universe, and furthered another storyline from the first season of Dragon Azteca. All wins.

King Cuerno is a beast. Everything he does looks great, which is mad to me because when he first turned up in the first season, I thought he was just a flash-looking jobber. Had no idea he was Hijo de Fantasma til the other day, which suddenly explains a lot. Accidental laughs at his cowboy getup last week, but still absolutely rock. Him going increasingly mental when Fenix kept getting up was brilliant, and the result adds even more to the triangle with Mil.

Is Kobra Moon Taya Valkyrie?

Puma has said NOTHING since he's debuted, but his storyline is still easy to follow. Looks like we're getting a battle with a dark side - no Konnan, and clearly wrestling with anger at Catrina and Mil. Here's hoping Pentagon brings the violence next week!

- A terrible segment of Sexy Star being tied up by some fat lad who was off school.

- A badass biker debut in a vignette only to job in his debut after teasing the second 450 splash of the night. And being slagged off by a terrible commentator.

- Another terrible woman's segment, this one was a 'badass' called Kobra Moon. Yes, Cobra with a K.

- A three on two main event where they never pointed out it was three on two, had to figure that out myself.

What are your thoughts on Dairy Queen and Vince Russo?

I don't really care if Cornette hates it, or angles for a job and pretends to love it like most old timers do. But to answer your question:

Dairy Queen, no idea.

Vince Russo, scary bad, and also scarily was actually entertained and talked to by Lucha Underground.

Right. No more nice things for you, young man.

- Agreed on the overabundance of Americans, but this was the settling episode after the big premiere.

- Sexy Star has been pushed as a proper role model superheroine, while Marty the Moth had one of the best character-based slowburn storylines in the first season, degenerating from goofy jobber to full-on sex pest. Noone knows who his " sister" is yet, so there's more reveals to come.

- It's Justin Gabriel. Skip.

- Internal 15-year-old me thinks replacing Cs with Ks is awesome. Karry on.

- Everyone knows there's three Disciples of Death. Everyone knows Catrina is heel and Puma and Pentagon are face. The slo mo corridor intros showed three Disciples. Pay attention.

- Rey went on about the traditional respect and heritage of the mask, integrated himself into the Lucha universe, and furthered another storyline from the first season of Dragon Azteca. All wins.

I'm defo going to watch more and give it a chance, but I do feel like Meltzer said about it - I'm constantly slapped in the face that it isn't real. And that keeps taking me out of it and I'm left picking holes in it instead.

Loved Catrina winding Puma up about how Konnan went out. Brought an evil smile to my face knowing he was killed off.

Didn't think much of Kobra Moon save for that bum of hers and cocky Jack Evans should be go. I decided to watch 1993 WCW Saturday Night. Big mistake. Hoping to finish the rest of this tonight.

Fucking loved this ep better than episode two

Kobra Cool is well, erm naff, and Texano bores me to tears, however the gang, being infiltrated and Joey Ryan was sweet as was the Last Lucha Standing between Cuerno and Fenix, that spot was cray cray mental

Konnan's dead, I love how they actually, 'kill' people in this, Gael, Big Ryck :( and now Konnan

Aerostar's segment was beyond epic, as if you didnt alreadylove him enough LU has always had a Enter the Dragon/Slash Mortal Kombat feel, and now we have Raiden Wub 

[quote name="paltaper" post="2981296"

I'm defo going to watch more and give it a chance, but I do feel like Meltzer said about it - I'm constantly slapped in the face that it isn't real. And that keeps taking me out of it and I'm left picking holes in it instead.

Yeah, LU is the lucha style filtered via the director of Desperado and From Dusk Til Dawn, so it's going to be a shock for some. For me, it's no less business-exposing than Undertaker's entrance or Cena's Shoulder Block routine. The way WWE is right now, I'll take Immortal Aztec Time-Travel Rocketeer any day!

• Paid Members

It's not a traditional wrestling show as such. It's a drama where a wrestling promotion is the centrepoint. It's exactly what Vince McMahon thinks he is producing but is either too lazy or too confused to get his head round the consistency.

You have to get the right mindset to view it, but then it makes perfect sense. Everything that happens in front of the crowd is a televised wrestling show. Everything else is a (sci-fi genre) drama about the people involved in the wrestling show. The commentators and the crowd don't see any of the backstage stuff and thus don't know about it or acknowledge it.

It shouldn't be a problem if you were able to cope with watching Dream Team.

It's not a traditional wrestling show as such. It's a drama where a wrestling promotion is the centrepoint. It's exactly what Vince McMahon thinks he is producing but is either too lazy or too confused to get his head round the consistency.

You have to get the right mindset to view it, but then it makes perfect sense. Everything that happens in front of the crowd is a televised wrestling show. Everything else is a (sci-fi genre) drama about the people involved in the wrestling show. The commentators and the crowd don't see any of the backstage stuff and thus don't know about it or acknowledge it.

It shouldn't be a problem if you were able to cope with watching Dream Team.

Hmm, I can get around the idea that the fans are just there to see the wrestling and the rest is happening "outside". Okay, that works. But then the next question logically is what's the point of that, why not just make it one thing rather than two concepts almost apart? And then I start to think why aren't we just seeing something more reality based with Cueto being a prick in a TV studio manipulating people and coining it on their blood...rather than him feeding people to his brother to eat, magic tricks, Dragon's and Aero Star flying off etc. With that they're asking for such a leap of faith up front that it's a pretty big ask that might put a lot of people off.

Putting it in it's own special category removes the need for anything to make sense though. It also seems to mean it doesn't get critiqued as pro wrestling on pro wrestling websites, pro wrestling podcasts, or pro wrestling sheets. It's been around for over a year and Cornette's the only one who thinks it's rubbish and that their business plan is awful? If it's compared to any other promotion that ever existed, that was created to engage an audience so much that they pay money, how does it fare then?

• Paid Members

25 years ago, I'd have killed to see what voodoo nonsense Papa Shango got up outside the ring. What The Undertaker and Paul Bearer were doing. The backstory of the Berzerker... And that's what this is. It's wrestling taken to its logical conclusion: who are these people, what are these people, where did they come from, why are they fighting, and why are these matches being made?

But, if it's not for you, it's not for you.

• Paid Members

It's been around for over a year and Cornette's the only one who thinks it's rubbish and that their business plan is awful? If it's compared to any other promotion that ever existed, that was created to engage an audience so much that they pay money, how does it fare then?

It's business plan is different from traditional wrestling shows because it's specifically a TV show, not a wrestling promotion. It's plan is to provide high quality TV which leads to good ratings first and foremost. Everything else is distant second. They don't run live events and the TV tapingd are free. They aren't run like a wrestling promotion. They are run like any other TV drama. It's run by executive producers. Currently it gets low ratings but this is due to being on a relatively new TV station that isn't available or known to a lot of the US. They have already been renewed for season 3 so arguably their business model IS working as any TV shows goal is to last as long as possible.

Archived