Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

The Cards are tearing up NL Central so far; the Reds being punching bags and Wrigley Field being a water park are a massive help, as are Yadi and Paul De Jong (what a find!) having fun out there.

Watched the White Sox v Astros last night, I know it's the champs but the way the White Sox capitulated in one inning was woeful.  On the plus side, the WSN commentator thinks that the Sox will be a half decent team by 2020.  Whoopee...

• Paid Members

Things beginning to settle in the AL East after Boston's ridiculous start, with both the Blue Jays and Yankees 4 games back. Managed to catch the game last night live after going out in Bristol and it's worth stating again what a wonderful player Mookie Betts is. He's going to earn an absolutely monstrous contract somewhere in 2020 and deservedly so. Him batting out of the lead off spot has been a fantastic call by Cora. 

Thanks for that website recommendation @Keith Houchen .Dorked out on that for a good 30 mins earlier. 

Edited by Gus Mears

26 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Thanks for that website recommendation @Keith Houchen .Dorked out on that for a good 30 mins earlier. 

It's cracking, isn't it? My neighbour recommended it to me, he's from Brooklyn and a Yankees fan but he's sound. Going to enjoy their US elections coverage!

18 minutes ago, seph said:

ESPN have just posted that the Yankees and Red Sox intend to play two games in London next year. I'm surprised it's taken this long TBF, but I wouldn't mind the weekend out.

Nice one!  My girlfriend is a Red Sox fan and like any sane person I hate the Yankees so that will be a top trip to the ballgame.  Thanks for the info there, Seph.

• Paid Members
On 07/05/2018 at 8:46 AM, Gus Mears said:

I'm planning on attending both games if money allows it. Will be rocking my Pablo Sandoval jersey that I bought for about $12 at the Fenway pro store in March.

Hotels anywhere near the Olympic are jacked up for the weekend already, best strike soon.

EDIT: It was confirmed just gone 5pm tonight.

TICKET REGISTER LINK

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, seph said:

Hotels anywhere near the Olympic are jacked up for the weekend already, best strike soon.

EDIT: It was confirmed just gone 5pm tonight.

TICKET REGISTER LINK

Cheers for the heads up and I'll probably take advantage of friends who have a room I can crash in rather than go for the exorbitant hotel fees if they are already bumping them up. I am pumped up for next summer; two Red Sox games and a shit load of Cricket World Cup fixtures I'm intending to buy tickets for too.

In other news, losing to the pissing Yankees due to Heath Hembree balking like a lumbering berk was infuriating. We did so well to stay in that game considering most people are wanking themselves dry over the Yankees lineup. To throw it down the drain on a balk is so poor. 

Edited by Gus Mears

Hoping they’re going to be day games so I can get the train from Manchester there and back without needing to stay over, that or drive down. Incredibly excited about it though!

Im away for a couple of days and left my iPad at home so I can’t watch the Sox Yankees games. Twat. 

• Paid Members

Saturday night and Sunday afternoon are optimal for travel, so I reckon it'll be the opposite.

• Paid Members

At least we got one over the Yankees last night, even after the bullpen did their damnedest to shit the bed for the third night in a row. Delightful to see us getting the win due to Martinez getting one over their absolute joke of a right field too. 

Rodriguez did a really good pitching job but as they were 4 - 0 up I guess they decided to go to the ballpen. Although I think it was the bottom of the 4th where the Yankees had the bases loaded so had they got a few runs or someone hit a grandslam homer to tie the game he'd have stayed in longer. Hembree got subbed out in the 7th for Kelly who let in 4 runs as the bases were loaded again. 

Mookie did well too. As did Martinez to take the momentum out of the Yankees comeback with his home run at the top of the 8th. Although it did look a little like fan interference on the replays when Judge tried to make the catch. 

• Paid Members
On 5/11/2018 at 8:33 PM, Really Big Shoe said:

Rodriguez did a really good pitching job but as they were 4 - 0 up I guess they decided to go to the ballpen. Although I think it was the bottom of the 4th where the Yankees had the bases loaded so had they got a few runs or someone hit a grandslam homer to tie the game he'd have stayed in longer. Hembree got subbed out in the 7th for Kelly who let in 4 runs as the bases were loaded again. 

Mookie did well too. As did Martinez to take the momentum out of the Yankees comeback with his home run at the top of the 8th. Although it did look a little like fan interference on the replays when Judge tried to make the catch. 

In fairness, Judge did say he thought there wasn't play interference. Hard to tell from the available angles to be honest.

Red Sox ended up 6-4 during that away run, which is any normal circumstances is fine, it's just the division is insanely competitive. As much as I want us to end up a million games ahead of the Yankees in the AL East, it's thrilling to watch them both slug it out with the two best records in baseball at the moment. Weekend games at Toronto were about what was expected and it was the refreshing to see the pen not cack themselves last night. JD Martinez appears to be breaking the curse of Sox spending big money on useless hitters and he's only likely to start hitting more bombs as in warms up in New England.

I was flicking between the Boston game and the White Sox game.  White Sox bullpen actually did something in the win against the Cubs so that was great to see, the previous nights game Sox had the bases loaded with one out to go to tie the game but alas not to be.  Boston look really solid already, ain't watched much Yankees as all this season so can't compare the two.

But yeah, enjoying the White Sox chalking up their 10th win of the season.